OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: chaos calmer rc2 luci issue

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

still newish to openwrt learning as i go. i know the normal procedure to install it. i updated to rc2 and saw it had no gui so i went about it the normal way i always do if needed. and it did not work. i get a forbidden access denied page instead of the luci gui. tried many times i also tried manually downloading the packages i used last time and packing them into a tar that had the same result. for now went back to rc1 via wget.

can someone help? i would like to update to rc2 with the luci gui. any help would be appreciated.

thanks!!

(Last edited by TheDrizzle on 18 Jun 2015, 04:50)

Probably you have /etc/opkg.conf pointing to an version's download repo, and package downloads fail.

rc2 has enabled package list signature checks, and this makes old versions' download repos to fail. If you have preserved settings in sysupgrade, your opkg.conf points to the wrong download repo.

The correct location definitions are like this (note the "chaos_calmer/15.05-rc2"):

src/gz chaos_calmer_base http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05-rc2/ar71xx/generic/packages/base
src/gz chaos_calmer_luci http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05-rc2/ar71xx/generic/packages/luci

You should be able to install luci gui with rc2 by using one of these methods:
1)
* install rc2 without preserving settings in sysupgrade.
   (You need to re-create all your settings. Restoring a backup will overwrite opkg.conf, so it can't be used)
* login into system console
* install luci normally: "opkg update", "opkg install luci"

2)
* install rc2 while preserving old settings in sysupgrade
* login into system console
* update /etc/okpg.conf to point into the rc2 binaries. Easiest way might be to copy the correct file from /rom:
   "cp /rom/etc/opkg.conf /etc/opkg.conf"
   (alternatively: edit opkg.conf manually and correct all download repo definitions)
* install luci normally: "opkg update", "opkg install luci"

(Last edited by hnyman on 18 Jun 2015, 08:59)

hnyman wrote:

Probably you have /etc/opkg.conf pointing to an version's download repo, and package downloads fail.
[ ... ]
You should be able to install luci gui with rc2 by using one of these methods:
[ ... ]

Oh. Do I understand that CC doesn't include LuCI by default? Will LuCI be there in CC final?

(One of the best things about BB was that LuCI was built-in, and that made it easier for newcomers...)

richbhanover wrote:

Oh. Do I understand that CC doesn't include LuCI by default? Will LuCI be there in CC final?

I have no firm knowledge, but most likely it will be in the final, as usual with releases. I think that it should have been in the rc2, too...

(Last edited by hnyman on 18 Jun 2015, 14:16)

thank you will try that out. much appreciated!!

worked great thank you for the tips!!

hnyman wrote:
richbhanover wrote:

I have no firm knowledge, but most likely it will be in the final, as usual with releases. I think that it should have been in the rc2, too...

Official builds of stable releases of OpenWrt have all had luci pre-installed for quite sometime. This is probably an oversight for rc2 or it was intentional as it is with trunk. Trunk is always luci free so that it can be tested without a luci bug throwing things off. In addition, if you can't install luci from the command line, you really shouldn't be using trunk. It's possible the developers felt the same way about this release candidate, although I tend to think it was an oversight more.

I am Linux challenged and having some issues with a router that I just upgraded from AA12.09 to CC 15.05 RC2.  The router is a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. 

The upgrade appeared to go OK.  I have an IP, and like The Drizzle I can not access the router via Luci (main problem). 

I did a reset on the config for the upgrade, wanting to start clean.  I can not access the router via putty or WinSCP as the password is not set.

Not at all clear as to how to execute the solution in the post.

I used the file:
openwrt-15.05-rc2-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Related, I have a PC-Engines ALIX which I did a clean install on CC 15.05 RC2 and  LuCi was there.   

RangerZ

RangerZ wrote:

can not access the router via putty

first is Telnet, set password then you will be able to SSH, this ones
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=47382
have LuCi, it reads Trunk but is CC, I use them.

(Last edited by danymarc on 2 Jul 2015, 00:54)

RangerZ wrote:

got this sorted by using fail safe mode to set a password.   Then I could SSH to the router and fix things

Flashing first time or Sysupgrade you don't need Failsafe to set password, just Telnet

(Last edited by danymarc on 2 Jul 2015, 06:31)

Good to know.  I suspect not all routers can get to fail safe that easy.

RangerZ

(Last edited by RangerZ on 2 Jul 2015, 06:04)

The discussion might have continued from here.