OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DIR615 Rev H2 upload not possible

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I'm new (sorry)!

I tried to upload the openwrt openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-615-h1-squashfs-facto.. for my D-Link DIR615 H2, from here: http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … ps/rt305x/
I did this via the menu offered by D-Link under 192.168.0.1 -> Tools / System Firmware upload. The router showed me a dialog counting down for 120 secs and supposably flashed the firmware. After the reboot: nothing changed.

I still see the old firmware. Without success, I tried this several times as also tried the older 12.09 version, or checked out trunk and built the package myself by the instructions in the wiki here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615?s[]=dir615

Finally I ended up with dd-wrt, which I could easily upload via the firmware upload dialog in the web frontend of the router. Anyway, I actually prefer having openwrt run on my device. I'm sure this can't be a big issue, since it actually should work, as I read from others.

Please, can you tell me what I'm missing here? Or, how to investigate and understand better what is actually going wrong here?

*** PUSH ***

No ideas?

*** PUSH ***

Please, noone has running OpenWRT on DIR615 H2? Why doesn't it accept and flash the OpenWRT firmware? Where to start if I want to debug what is going wrong? Are there any logs, possibilities, pin readouts I shall have a look at?

By chance I stumbled over this, my old thread about the DIR615 (in the meanwhile EOL). I solved and managed to flash and install openwrt on it.

The 30/30/30 approach works well with the dir615. If openwrt is installed, even ssh/telnet or other ways are possible. Everything works but the webpage/upgrade mechanism. From what I read (rumors) the device would scrumble a firmware.bin throwing trx header errors, since it's poor capability of very old html standards.

For flashing do a hardreset. Configure e.g. 192.168.0.1 (dir615) and 192.168.0.2 (pc), hold RESET for about 30s. Unplug the power but continue holding RESET for another 30s. Then power the dir615 again and still keep RESET hold for about another 30s. The amber led should start blinking. Then on pc open a browser on 192.168.0.1, which shall open a firmware update dialog. Browse to firmware.bin and proceed.

Beware: Other routers than the specified dir615 H1/H2 may get bricked after this procedure!

Sorry for the late answer, a 30/30/30 now seems to be pretty basic or RTFM wink

Rubuschl wrote:

By chance I stumbled over this, my old thread about the DIR615 (in the meanwhile EOL). I solved and managed to flash and install openwrt on it.

The 30/30/30 approach works well with the dir615. If openwrt is installed, even ssh/telnet or other ways are possible. Everything works but the webpage/upgrade mechanism. From what I read (rumors) the device would scrumble a firmware.bin throwing trx header errors, since it's poor capability of very old html standards.

For flashing do a hardreset. Configure e.g. 192.168.0.1 (dir615) and 192.168.0.2 (pc), hold RESET for about 30s. Unplug the power but continue holding RESET for another 30s. Then power the dir615 again and still keep RESET hold for about another 30s. The amber led should start blinking. Then on pc open a browser on 192.168.0.1, which shall open a firmware update dialog. Browse to firmware.bin and proceed.

Beware: Other routers than the specified dir615 H1/H2 may get bricked after this procedure!

Sorry for the late answer, a 30/30/30 now seems to be pretty basic or RTFM wink

This worked for me!

The discussion might have continued from here.