OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Archer C5 loses config/packages on reboot and USB problem

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm using Chaos Calmer r45560, and can set everything up, no problem. But every time I reboot, it reverts to a fresh install - no password set, no packages installed, etc.

root@router:~# df
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                   12.8M      8.7M      4.0M  69% /
/dev/root                 2.0M      2.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    61.5M      1.8M     59.7M   3% /tmp
tmpfs                    61.5M     32.0K     61.5M   0% /tmp/root
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3           12.8M      8.7M      4.0M  69% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       12.8M      8.7M      4.0M  69% /

Also, I can't get USB to work properly. When I plug in a flash drive the kernel sees it, but it doesn't add a device node for it, so I can't mount it.

root@router:~# opkg list-installed | grep usb
kmod-ledtrig-usbdev - 3.18.11-1
kmod-usb-core - 3.18.11-1
kmod-usb-ohci - 3.18.11-1
kmod-usb-storage - 3.18.11-1
kmod-usb-storage-extras - 3.18.11-1
kmod-usb-uhci - 3.18.11-1
kmod-usb2 - 3.18.11-1
libusb-1.0 - 1.0.19-1
usbreset - 4
usbutils - 007-1

Is there anything I'm missing? I found nothing in the wiki.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you may have done the initial flash with a file labeled sysupgrade instead of factory, at least as far as the losing settings part. The factory file configures the partitions properly for OpenWrt.

Not sure about the USB bit.

I did the flash with the factory file, straight from the factory firmware. I am certain of this, because I did it twice, with reverting to the TP-Link factory firmware between each flash.

When I get the time, I can download it again, flash the TP-Link firmware and then flash the factory image a third time, just to see. For now, though, I just don't reboot smile

Any other ideas on things I can check would be appreciated, since I would really like to avoid a reinstall.

You don't need to revert to factory to flash a "factory" openwrt file. The main difference is that the "factory" OpenWrt will configure/wipe the overlay partition (I think). You can flash this over an existing OpenWrt install just fine. In fact, I suggest you give it a try. Make sure you do not save your settings when flashing.

Also, are you using the squashfs build? Maybe just link to the file you are using?

Just for testing purposes, you could also try using BB 14.07 final.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … actory.bin

This is the file I flashed with. I know I didn't have to go back to the TP-Link firmware, I just did it to make doubly sure I had followed the instructions to the letter. So you think I should flash the factory image from the webui, not saving settings? BB final worked OK, I don't remember having any problems such as this one.

Could be a problem with the specific build you have. That's the risk with trunk. I'd stick to Barrier Breaker or at least try an updated trunk. And yes, save yourself the trouble and risk of going back to stock.

(Last edited by drawz on 26 Apr 2015, 18:28)

The discussion might have continued from here.