OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus WL-500gP (Premium) Compatible ?

The content of this topic has been archived between 4 Feb 2018 and 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
got mine yesterday. flashed jffs2-4mb via asus' recovery-tool. boots fine. Now, i am struggling with network-setup (and vpnc).

@achim: for failsafe-mode, make sure to hold 'reset'-button before & while plugging the power back in... using the asus recovery-tool worked fine for me.

achim71000 wrote:

Hi,

Just installed rc5 on an wl500pg

Had trouble after trying to disable the WAN interface via the web interface. After a reboot the router was no longer accessible, tried to reinstall an image with tftp but none of the three brcm images worked.
Before that i tried the failsave mode but the reset button does not seem to be accepted (tried a few times as described in the wiki plugged power, pressed button for about 20 seconds).
Downloaded the original firmware from asus and upped that with tftp, this worked after the second try.
After that i was able to reinstall the 4MB jffs2 image.

i have the same problem after disable WAN the wl500gp does something wrong. only reflash with a asus firmware helps.

maddi wrote:

i have the same problem after disable WAN the wl500gp does something wrong. only reflash with a asus firmware helps.

Hmm looks like the Premium Version has two network interface (and a integrated modem smile ):

00:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation Sentry5 Ethernet Controller (rev 08)
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 4
        Memory at 18001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=2K]

00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation Sentry5 Ethernet Controller (rev 08)
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
        Memory at 18002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]

00:06.0 Modem: Broadcom Corporation BCM47xx V.92 56k modem (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
        Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 2
        Memory at 18006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]

The Deluxe Version only had one:

00:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation Sentry5 Ethernet Controller (rev 01)
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 4
        Memory at 18001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]

I noticed earlier (sorry forgot who posted) that others had vlan1 setup... after doing a default install (via tftp) my vlan1 interface is not present.  Did you have to do something special?  The only changes I've made since default install were to set nvram settings previously mentioned in the forums... (to enable the 32mb ram... & change br0_ifnames & lan_ifnames =vlan0 eth2 and wlan_ifname=eth2)  Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry "unverbraucht"  nothing personal... but no wonder I couldn't remember your name.

On another note... I also noticed the mac address for eth1 is something very odd... no manufacturer by the ID of 40:10:18 as far as I know. (my router is the same)  [nbd] in #openwrt had also suggested the possibility that the presense of eth1 might be a driver glitch... and the idea of having a built-in "modem" ... sounds a bit off... I'm willing to buy into that theory.

On another note... is anyone else having problems with wpa & wpa2 encryption?

well that link didn't work for me... anyone else having troubles?

??????? Nik247

~ # nvram show | grep ifname
wl0_ifname=eth2
lan_ifnames_t=vlan0 eth0
pppd_pppifname=
wlan_ifname=eth0
lan_ifnames=vlan0 eth1 eth2 eth3
pppoe_ifname=
wan_ifnames=eth0
size: 29179 bytes (3589 left)
lan_ifname=br0
wl_ifname=
wan_ifname=eth0
primary_ifname=eth0
wan_pppoe_ifname=

With these values it sould work fine. After installing openwrt bin (default) image you should install nas and wl and WPA will work.
I am now running openwrt with samba, screen, ctorrent on my WL-500gP and works great.

You lost  br0_ifnames

root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin# nvram show | grep ifnames
br0_ifnames=vlan0 eth2
lan_ifnames_t=vlan0 eth1
lan_ifnames=vlan0 eth2
wan_ifnames=eth0
wan0_ifnames=eth0

TheCompWiz wrote:

well that link didn't work for me... anyone else having troubles?

??????? Nik247

Worked earlier seems to work no longer.

Here is the link to the self made not very detaild image http://www.momc.org/wl500gp.jpg

List of Chips/Cards:

Asus WL120G R1.0 Wifi Card
Broadcom Switch Chip BCM5325
Via Usb Controller

In the Cage, the prozessor two ram and one flash chips.

No second network card and no modem thing.

(Last edited by achim71000 on 15 Jun 2006, 19:40)

oooooooh.... pretty........  I didn't realize that there was a mPCI card in there wink  hehe... time to get out the screwdriver wink

nik247 wrote:

You lost  br0_ifnames

root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin# nvram show | grep ifnames
br0_ifnames=vlan0 eth2
lan_ifnames_t=vlan0 eth1
lan_ifnames=vlan0 eth2
wan_ifnames=eth0
wan0_ifnames=eth0

<name>_ifname The name of the linux interface the settings apply to
<name>_ifnames Devices to be added to the bridge (only if the above is a bridge)

lan_ifname=br0
lan_ifnames=vlan0 eth1 eth2 eth3

TheCompWiz wrote:

Sorry "unverbraucht"  nothing personal... but no wonder I couldn't remember your name.

NP. I like that nick because it's never taken wink

It's a bit difficult to answer that. I had DD-WRT on there before I installed RC5. Then I tried RC4, Kamikaze and (I think) Olegs Firmware in the search for usable Bluetooth drivers. I guess one of the mentioned firmwares changed the nvram settings...

On another note... I also noticed the mac address for eth1 is something very odd... no manufacturer by the ID of 40:10:18 as far as I know. (my router is the same)  [nbd] in #openwrt had also suggested the possibility that the presense of eth1 might be a driver glitch... and the idea of having a built-in "modem" ... sounds a bit off... I'm willing to buy into that theory.

Kamikaze throws a fit about eth1, as achim posted in the thread in the kamikaze section.

I wonder why there is a OHCI and an UHCI in there. The external USB bus seems to be run be the uhci/ehci. Anybody know where the ohci leads to? Kamikaze reports 2 ports on the ohci...

unverbraucht wrote:

I wonder why there is a OHCI and an UHCI in there. The external USB bus seems to be run be the uhci/ehci. Anybody know where the ohci leads to? Kamikaze reports 2 ports on the ohci...

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/form … or_pdf=pdf

Shows an VIA VT6212L chip

http://www.via-tech.de/pr/030424_2.html (german)

USB2(ehci) and USB1(uhci)

Can it be that there is an OHCI controller on the wl120g?

Hi,

I'm about to receive a wl-500gp box and looking forward to start playing with it and openwrt. I had a look on the forums and found that some small settings need to be done before all functions of the router can be used. Can you please confirm that the following commands will do the trick...

nvram set lan_ifnames=vlan0 eth2
nvram set wlan_ifname=eth2
nvram set sdram_init=0x0009
nvram set sdram_ncdl=0
nvram set wan_device=eth0
nvram commit

Personally I can only confirm these two:

nvram set sdram_init=0x0009
nvram set sdram_ncdl=0

They will active the whole 32MB of RAM in the box. Run these at your own risk. Up to now there don't seem to be any problems with this, but it *might* break your box.
I haven't used the other options and didn't need them up to now.

i can confirm
nvram set wan_device=eth0

i needed that to get pppoe to work

(Last edited by VespaTS on 17 Jun 2006, 22:19)

Recently I have installed RC5 on my 500gp. I have found out that after installation rc5 the "restore" button does not work. I.e. it will be impossible it will be loaded in a safe mode. Somebody has ideas how to force "restore" button to work?

(Last edited by alpha on 18 Jun 2006, 11:59)

in the wiki TheCompWiz wrote:

the reset button does not work (due largely to mis-mapped /proc/sys/reset)
gpio 0 = RESTORE button (reset) (00 = unpressed, 01 = pressed)
gpio 1 = Power LED (enable = off, disable = on)
gpio 4 = EZ SETUP button (similar to linksys "button"?) (00 = unpressed, 01 = pressed)

If it just a mis-mapped proc/sys/reset, is it possible to get the reset/restore to work? map it somehow right?

yes, bootwait is on, but failsafe would be better. i needed the failsafe-mode from time to time on my wrt54gs.

(Last edited by VespaTS on 18 Jun 2006, 12:31)

I have found out that pressing of button EZ SETUP influences on output

cat/dev/gpio/in

But that with it to do and as to trace it I do not know sad

Got mine AsusWL500gP 12 hours ago and had to try OpenWrt.

Flashed with JFFS2 4MB and after that used nvram concerning network and memory.

Seems all is working fine - untill now I added screen, usb (storage, no printer yet) and ctorrent.

Will post again, when I add printing.

Great work done, congrats to all working on OpenWrt.

ENjoY,

Davor.

Use the following settings in order to get the dedicated WAN port working in case of troubles:
nvram set wan_ifname=vlan1
nvram set vlan1ports="0 5"

Maybe you also need to change the wifi settings:
nvram set wifi_ifname=eth2

Most probably it's a good idea to reset the device to the default NVRAM settings, before trying the settings above:
mtd erase nvram

{ Florian }

Which Firmware was use for successful flashing? Yesterday we try ist with openwrt-freifunk-1.2.5-wse.trx from http://www.olsrexperiment.de/sven-ola/i … .5-wse.trx but ist does not work ater reboot. the ethernet interface was reachable by ping but not service (telnet, ssh, http) were reachable.

(Last edited by maverickBln80 on 23 Jun 2006, 14:59)

achim71000 wrote:
unverbraucht wrote:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/form … or_pdf=pdf

Shows an VIA VT6212L chip

http://www.via-tech.de/pr/030424_2.html (german)

USB2(ehci) and USB1(uhci)

Can it be that there is an OHCI controller on the wl120g?

It could be that it is an internal bus. There is no device on it on my 500gP, even if I plug in usb 1.1 only devices.

The OHCI USB Bus belongs to the main Broadcom chip (BCM4704):

unverbraucht wrote:

00:03.0 0c03: 14e4:4715 (rev 08) (prog-if 10)
        Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 6
        Memory at 18003000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]

The discussion might have continued from here.