OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Working on Netgear WNDR3700v5

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I managed to install LEDE on my V5 using alexvan's factory image and the lede sysupgrade image method.

The switch works perfectly. VLAN tagging works and I know it's very case specific but PPPoE auth for my ISP works too (once you figure out the correct configuration, see hxxps://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=71191)

Wireless is all over the place. If you change the mode, channel, width or transmit power from either 2.4ghz or 5ghz they crash and won't enable themselves. Encryption works though, I'm currently using WPA2-PSK with forced AES and it works.

He doesn't like low signal too. I'm either hitting 30-40 Mbps on my wifi devices or they straight up drop and reconnect. My phone is struggling with this a lot more than my laptop (which has an Intel 7260 AC adapter). They meant it when they wrote "Radios do not work reliably yet".

Overall I'm happy, next step is to get the official install image and better wifi support, then I'll probably fiddle with VoIP and SIP, which will probably be quite tricky.

(Last edited by mickeyes on 10 Jun 2017, 18:01)

I've just received 2 brand new WNDR3700v5.  Must admit I was disappointed when I realised that Openwrt support was meagre on this version, however, it seems that a lot of good work is done by LEDE.  Is the ethernet (Gigabit) side of the router working ok ? Has anyone tried to install and use OpenVPN on it?

nilstovik wrote:

I've just received 2 brand new WNDR3700v5.  Must admit I was disappointed when I realised that Openwrt support was meagre on this version, however, it seems that a lot of good work is done by LEDE.  Is the ethernet (Gigabit) side of the router working ok ? Has anyone tried to install and use OpenVPN on it?

All 5 ports are fully working with 1000Mbps links on my unit.

I haven't tried OpenVPN on the router side but in my experience the wifi starts flipping out (dropping signal, random disconnects) when a client connects to a remote server via wireless 2.4 or 5 ghz.

I'll OpenVPN on the router later tonight and report back.

nilstovik wrote:

Yeah, ethernet is working fine. I don't see any reason why OpenVPN wouldn't work.

On the other hand, I have some problems with WiFi. I often get disconnected with my laptop (which has Intel  Wireless 8260 running on Linux kernel 4.9).

I bought this router thinking it was supported out of the gate, as it is mentioned in the recommended routers, and I am even having problems in this part of the installation

Hold the 'System Restore' button on the underside of the router while powering it on, and hold the button until the power led blinks green.

When I press the reset button, I never the the power led blinking, I get the wifi and a red circle blinking sad

(Last edited by fernandoch on 6 Jul 2017, 22:28)

I've been Over Clocking some of my MT7621 devices...
Anyone willing to test on a WNDR3700v5?

Currently in China ... please use ldpinney@yahoo.com

(Last edited by ldpinney on 7 Jul 2017, 03:33)

alexvan wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've successfully switched my router to LEDE too smile Thanks for the great work.

For people who wants to get a factory image, I've made this repository. I hope it will help:
hxxps://github.com/alexvanbelle/wndr3700v5

I used lede-17.img from your repository and performed a factory firmware update on my WNDR3700v5, after about 3-4 minutes the router rebooted and looks like it was before the upgrade with the Netgear firmware still there. I received no error messages, and the logs shows nothing.  What could I have done wrong?

Yes! Second time trying the lede-17.img it worked. Dont know what went wrong the first time. Installed Lede-17.01.1 using the ...squashfs-sysupgrade.bin from alexvanbelles repository and then upgraded to lede-17.01.2 using the firmware posted on the lede downloads page. Wifi works fine on both radios getting 35- 45mb/sek download and 29-32 upload on speedtest. Next step now is to configure an OpenVpn client for HMA (HideMyAss).

I flashed two routers with LEDE and now I test their performance and capabilities. However, there are controlable just 2 of the 5 LEDs on the front panel (wndr3700v5:green:power and wndr3700v5:green:wps). I can control the remaining 3 by GPIO by sending 0s and 1s to GPIOs 13, 15 and 16 (e.g. echo 0 >/sys/class/gpio/gpio13/value)

Is there any way to add them to /sys/devices/platform/gpio-leds/leds?

Another issue:
MAC addresses of the external eth port seem to be randomly generated. I did not experience such behavior on any other LEDE / OpenWRT device. Overriding the MAC in GUI is quite tricky and CLI is not much better. As I need to power the devices regulary, it is really inconvenient.
Any idea how to prevent that?

The discussion might have continued from here.