OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Extract rootfs from sysupgrade.bin - Pogoplug OXNAS?

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

There is no rootfs.tar provided in the OXNAS snapshot - https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … /generic/.

Wondering if there is a way to extract the rootfs from a sysupgrade.bin (or maybe another file provided in the snapshot)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

g

I belileve the rootfs is contained in openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro-ubifs-sysupgrade.tar, the file is simply named "root", it should be squashfs.

According to an e-mail conversation I had with Daniel Golle (the maintainer of the original openwrt-oxnas fork) a few months ago, the oxnas target in trunk is a bit of a mess right now, mainly because the buildbot (or rather the makefile) is not able to build multiple targets per run. For the time being, if you need a different oxnas image than the Pogoplug Pro you'll have to build it yourself.

Hi @metai,

Thanks for the reply. I read the other thread where you posted this. I'm looking at leveraging the snapshot to avoid having to build the image myself (not a problem for me personally, but looking for a simple solution for the general public).

I downloaded the openwrt-oxnas-pogoplug-pro-ubifs-sysupgrade.tar file and extracted it. There are three files in the sysupgrade.tar file (no extensions)

"CONTROL" - text file with content "BOARD=pogoplug-pro"
"kernel"
"root"

Is it possible to extract the rootfs (I want the files) from the "root" file?

Thanks

grayman4hire wrote:

I'm looking at leveraging the snapshot to avoid having to build the image myself (not a problem for me personally, but looking for a simple solution for the general public).

How do you think that would work? Different machines have different binaries. You actually need to compile separately for different machines.

Is it possible to extract the rootfs (I want the files) from the "root" file?

unsquashfs?

Thing is, this is not a problem only for the oxnas devices. It's a problem of the makefile code. There are some targets that are not built at the moment, and some others are using "hacked" makefiles to build different targets (ramips is one of them I believe). Last time we talked, Daniel said that he and some other people would be working on modifying the makefile code, but I don't know how that progressed in the last months.

metai wrote:

How do you think that would work? Different machines have different binaries. You actually need to compile separately for different machines.

I'm trying to simplify the OpenWRT installation for the Pogoplux Oxnas. It will not be for a different device.

metai wrote:

unsquashfs?

Thanks. Looks promising.

The discussion might have continued from here.