OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: USB Modem Huawei E3372 not recognized [Edimax 3G-6200n]

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
I'm owning an Edimax 3G-6200n. I've used it for many years using OpenWRT in combination with a Huawei E1820 USB-3G-Modem. The OpenWRT image which I've used was compiled by guenti.

As I had to replace my modem (my provider isn't supporting it anymore...) I have bought a Huawei E3372 USB-4G-Modem. I've removed HiLink so that I can use it as a common modem. On Linux Mint 17.1 it works out of the box, I'm plugging it in, configure the APN via GUI, setting the PIN-Code and everything works perfectly fine.

But I have a problem using the modem with OpenWRT on my Edimax. The modem is recognized, but the dialup process doesn't work.

Here are syslog and kernellog. The image is based on r36160.

Because it didn't work, I tried to compile the trunk on my own. Here's the config that I've used, but this image doesn't recognize the modem correctly. Here are syslog and kernellog.

So my question is now - do you have any ideas (or which additional information do you need?) why I can't connect with the old (r36160) image?
If not, any ideas how I can get the modem to work with the current trunk? Do I have to modify my build config?

Thank you very much in advance

Does nobody have an idea why my Huawei Modem isn't recognized by OpenWRT?

Today I was able to get the USB modem working with the old image.

The problem was, that this modem seems to have the interfaces for device information separated from the interface for the connection.

In /lib/netifd/proto/3g.sh there is a section trying to get the device info (root@OpenWrt:~# gcom -d "/dev/ttyUSB1" -s /etc/gcom/getcardinfo.gcom). If I'm going to call this command against /dev/ttyUSB1 (which I have to use with pppd) I get the following error:

root@OpenWrt:~# gcom -d "/dev/ttyUSB1" -s /etc/gcom/getcardinfo.gcom
comgt 18:25:24 -> -- Error Report --
comgt 18:25:24 -> ---->              ^
comgt 18:25:24 -> Error @114, line 9, Could not write to COM device. (1)

If I then change the device to /dev/ttyUSB0 it works fine:

root@OpenWrt:~# gcom -d "/dev/ttyUSB0" -s /etc/gcom/getcardinfo.gcom
ATI
Manufacturer: huawei
Model: E3372
Revision: 21.286.03.01.209
IMEI: 8643*REMOVED*
+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK

The problem is, that this device is passed to the pppd command, where I have to use /dev/ttyUSB1 to get it working. I've modified my script locally to use the other device there and in /etc/config/network I've set the device to /dev/ttyUSB0:

local device_="/dev/ttyUSB1" 
ppp_generic_setup "$interface" \
                noaccomp \
                nopcomp \ 
                novj \
                nobsdcomp \
                noauth \
                lock \
                crtscts \
                115200 "$device_"

Now it works fine and without problems.

Maybe this type of problem (or support for modems like this) should be fixed in trunk - what do you think?

Didn't see this ticket, because I'm still using the old firmware build, as I'm not able to build a new one with USB support (modem never recognized...)

Nice blog post :-)

The discussion might have continued from here.