OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dell Truemobile 2300 RC5

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I flashed the Truemobile 2300 with RC5. After the flashing was done I can connect with an webbrowser.
Everythinks looked fine. But after a I had disconnected the power the rouzer is dead.
No ping , no browsing. I read the other topics but is wound work for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot
Christian

Hi all,

a little update. The routers power led is comming up after 5 sec. and get of after 12 sec.

any ideas?

Thanks
Christian

Hi,

just a nother update.
I´m now in failsafe mode. How can I reflash with RC5 or the original firmware?

Thanks
Christian

Hi,

and the store goes on. Now I was able to flash the original firmware and the router was back.
After  a little party I was flashing the newst openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx image.

Now I can´t access the device anymore. No Failsafe mode, no ping.

The power led comes up after 2 sec. and off after 12 sec.

Thanks
Christian

You left out the details of what you did to fix it the first time.

Hi mbm,

sorry for that.
I connected pin 9+10 at the flash eeprom. After that i got to the debug modus.

But now i get nothing to work. The router is ded I guess. No more power led.
A shortcut at  pin 9+10 is not helfule anymore.

Thanks for any ideas
Christian

Hi mbm,

as an update. For some reason I got the device in failsafe mode again. I made a shortcut of pin 9+10 on the flash and removed the little tool after three seconds.
Recvudü.exe says then Press reset .... and I did. Now I am back in Failsafe but how can I get the device running with OpenWRT?

Thanks
Christian

Hi again,

now I set boot wait=on and falshed the following image: openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx  27-Mar-2006 02:08  2.1M

with the following command: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx

After the image was transmited the router resonded to only one ping, the power led comes up and after caica 12 seconds it turned to off.

Now I can get into the filesafe mode when ever I want, but openWRT do not want to work.

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Cheers

Christian

Hi all,

I found my trouble with the DELL Truemobile 2300.
eth0 which is the LAN interface was not set in vlan0 only eth2 (WLAN) and eth1 (WAN) was set in.

Why the power led is still off I do not know, but the router is working without any problem.

Thanks
Christian

Hi! I need some help with my tm2300. I have rev. A00 and my PCB layout is diffrend that:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=17983#p17983

Could You send me type of eeprom what You have (in my case is GLT5640L16-6TC). This way I could compare pin usage from electronic docs. and figure out with pin to connect.

Connecting pin 9+10 seem to have no effect - I can't ping or tftp to 192.168.2.1 but leds are green and blinking :-/

Thanks for any help
Przemek a.k.a. TasiaK

cherzberg wrote:

Hi mbm,

sorry for that.
I connected pin 9+10 at the flash eeprom. After that i got to the debug modus.

But now i get nothing to work. The router is ded I guess. No more power led.
A shortcut at  pin 9+10 is not helfule anymore.

Thanks for any ideas
Christian

Hi tasiak,

I have the same layout as in the article.
With pin 9+10 is it a little bit difficult because of the right moment to detach the short-circuit.
Please tray the following.

Start the little program for seeing the right time for Failsafe mode, make the short-circuit, plug in the power, wait until the power led is up, detach the short-circuit. Until the program says to you to Press reset button, do so.

Now you are in Failsafe mode! ip 192.168.1.1 Telnet is now possible.

After that you can reflash your device. POwer off the router, tipe the following comand (Windows).

tftp -i 192.168.2.1 PUT openwrt.....trx

Power on your router and quick after the power led is on press enter.

But remember after flashing you can access your router only with WLAN (192.168.2.1) because of a little error  with the bridge configuration.

Have fun!

Christian

Thx for reply!

This is PCB layout of my Dell TrueMobile 2300 rev. A00 (MODEL: WRTB-107GD340 / FCC ID: MXF-R921212G):

http://sisq.home.pl/pub/tm2300/tm2300rev00.jpg

I'm still stuck. Cherzberg, your post was very helpfull but I still working on getting communication back up. I can't ping my 2300 and recvudp.exe give me no messages. My power led is always off and after power on, rest of leds start to blink in green color and about ~5sec. after turn to orange colour. I can prevent from changing their color to orange by short-circuit pins 9+10 but to do that i need to do following:

1. turn off device
2. put it back on
3. quickly make short-circuit for duration of ~1sec.
4. remove short-circuit

Leds this way stay green color. Ping/Telnet/Tftp is not possible.

If I make short-circuit before plug in the power leds will be orange from this point on. And in this possition ping is not possible.

On my flash chip are markings(type): GLT5640L16-6TC. Could You send me yours? I belive that comparing this types of eeproms give me proper pins to short-circuit. I'm base thist assumption on diffrent layout of PCB.

I did some research and found that type of Your router eeprom could be: AM29LV160B but I need to double check that witch You.

Maybe I need to use other IP address? (i did check all Your instructions trying 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 including arp -s mapping) I try and failed to find any "alive" host using network scaner aimed to random subnets including thoes basic two.

I'm running out of ideas hmm

Thanks for any help
Przemek a.k.a. TasiaK

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I would chime in my two bits here since I just got a 2300 off eBay (and promptly flashed with OpenWRT). They are much cheaper than WRT54G's and just as capable, but have a few different settings.

First, about the LEDs... The Linksys defaults are different than the Dell, in the /etc/init.d/S99done script, the last thing is does is reset the LEDs to a "normal" state. However, this is what shuts off the Dell Power LED... To remedy this change the figure to 0x01 and the power LED will stay on. (Or you can probably just remove or comment out the line completely.)

Second, the Dell doesn't use VLANs (as you would have found in the wiki pages).

Third, I could not connect to my router after rebooting it. The problem was with the dhcp server. I discovered on my own (after checking the log) that I was missing an NVRAM variable, and another was incorrect. Read section 3.1 and it will explain the error & fix (wish I found that page sooner).

After those few hurdles (and setting an rdate script on startup) my 2300 has been churning away quite hapily. I only wish I could have gotten one with the serial port header (like in the picture above). If you are patient on eBay you can pick up a used 2300 for ~$15 shipped (give or take).... making them an extreme bargain compared to a WRT54G which go for anywhere from $30 - $50 shipped (or more)!

(Last edited by EOC_Jason on 4 Sep 2006, 05:07)

tasiak wrote:

Thx for reply!

This is PCB layout of my Dell TrueMobile 2300 rev. A00 (MODEL: WRTB-107GD340 / FCC ID: MXF-R921212G):

http://sisq.home.pl/pub/tm2300/tm2300rev00.jpg

I'm still stuck. Cherzberg, your post was very helpfull but I still working on getting communication back up. I can't ping my 2300 and recvudp.exe give me no messages. My power led is always off and after power on, rest of leds start to blink in green color and about ~5sec. after turn to orange colour. I can prevent from changing their color to orange by short-circuit pins 9+10 but to do that i need to do following:

1. turn off device
2. put it back on
3. quickly make short-circuit for duration of ~1sec.
4. remove short-circuit

Leds this way stay green color. Ping/Telnet/Tftp is not possible.

If I make short-circuit before plug in the power leds will be orange from this point on. And in this possition ping is not possible.

On my flash chip are markings(type): GLT5640L16-6TC. Could You send me yours? I belive that comparing this types of eeproms give me proper pins to short-circuit. I'm base thist assumption on diffrent layout of PCB.

I did some research and found that type of Your router eeprom could be: AM29LV160B but I need to double check that witch You.

Maybe I need to use other IP address? (i did check all Your instructions trying 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 including arp -s mapping) I try and failed to find any "alive" host using network scaner aimed to random subnets including thoes basic two.

I'm running out of ideas hmm

Thanks for any help
Przemek a.k.a. TasiaK

I have this same issue and the same revision of the dell truemobile 2300.  Revision A00.  I've tried everything this guy has.  But some questions though.  How do I know which is pin 1 on that picture for the flash?  Does it start on the top left?  Second is what port do I need to plug the ethernet cable into coming from my pc to debrick it?  Into the wlan port?  Finally I've never gotten ping responses either from 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, or 192.168.3.1.  However if I do short out 2 pins on start up right after I plug the power into it, it turns it into a glorified switch the lan ports.  Until I unplug the power that is to it and plug it back in, then it does the normal thing of lighting up green then turning orange.  I didn't turn on the wait_boot to on in the nvram.  So how can I debrick this router?  Did this guy figure out a way to debrick his?

(Last edited by pyrates on 12 Oct 2006, 20:43)

Hi pyrates!

Yes I did fix mine.

In picture I posted is an error. The flash chip is on the other side of PCB.

In fact vendor of flash is Intel. You have to take your router apart to access flash chip.

Look at this photo:
http://sisq.home.pl/pub/tm2300/tm2300step01.jpg

Then locate flash chip and look for biggest dot on one of it's corners - first pin there is no.1

Check out picture:
http://sisq.home.pl/pub/tm2300/tm2300step02.jpg

I didn't turn on the wait_boot to on in the nvram either.

I connected router to PC running XP thru switch/hub as diagram shows*:
ROUTER <--ETHERNET CABLE--> ETHERNET SWITCH <--ETHERNET CABLE--> PC

* I did that to prevent loosing static arp binding that we will set up next, while router reboots time and time again. 

Setup your PC to use static IP address of 192.168.2.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0.

On PC use command: arp -s 192.168.2.1 00-00-00-00-00-00
where 00-00-00-00-00-00 is MAC address of Your bricked router.
This will set an static IP to MAC address binding just to make sure that IP address 192.168.2.1 is Your router. MAC number you will find on back sticker (even if you used MAC address cloning it will be still this MAC address from sticker on the back).

IP is in my case 192.168.2.1(default settings) after de-bricking (before I bricked mine it was IP 10.0.0.1).

Steps that I used to de-brick my router:

Step 0: Get ready to short-circuit wink
Step 1: Power off
Step 2: Power on
Step 3: Short-circuit ~1sec. (PINs 9&10 on flash chip)
Step 4: Press reset button
Step 5: Voila! Ping works!
Step 6: Use tftp to put back original dell firmware

Hope this helps.

Cheers

TasiaK

(Last edited by tasiak on 13 Oct 2006, 00:36)

I think I may have made it a bit worse now.  Never got any ping replies even though I followed the instructions.  But now it briefly flashes green on the 2 top led's, then the bottom 4 leds all turn orange.  This all happens in less then a second.  Is it useless now?

pyrates wrote:

I think I may have made it a bit worse now.  Never got any ping replies even though I followed the instructions.  But now it briefly flashes green on the 2 top led's, then the bottom 4 leds all turn orange.  This all happens in less then a second.  Is it useless now?

It's good. Don't worry. Just keep trying! It's tricky to pick right time to press reset button. And remember, You have to be quick.

My guess is that You have made short-circuit before power on and then if You switch power on, bottom 4 leds all turn orange immidietly.

[UPDATED] Steps that I used to de-brick my router:

Step 0: Get ready to short-circuit but don't make it just yet wink
Step 2: Power on (no short-circuit on PINs 9&10 of flash chip)
Step 3: When any of lead's turns on quickly make short-circuit for ~1sec. (PINs 9&10 on flash chip) and release it

Remember, keep trying! It took me a while to get this working.

TasiaK

tasiak wrote:
pyrates wrote:

It's good. Don't worry. Just keep trying! It's tricky to pick right time to press reset button. And remember, You have to be quick.

My guess is that You have made short-circuit before power on and then if You switch power on, bottom 4 leds all turn orange immidietly.

[UPDATED] Steps that I used to de-brick my router:

Step 0: Get ready to short-circuit but don't make it just yet wink
Step 2: Power on (no short-circuit on PINs 9&10 of flash chip)
Step 3: When any of lead's turns on quickly make short-circuit for ~1sec. (PINs 9&10 on flash chip) and release it

Remember, keep trying! It took me a while to get this working.

TasiaK

Grr I've been trying to debrick this for 3 months now.  Why won't it work? *smashes hammer into paper weight*

I also noticed that the ethernet port light to indicate that a device is plugged into the ethernet switch I'm using has never lit up either.

(Last edited by pyrates on 14 Jan 2007, 04:43)

The discussion might have continued from here.