OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Improve the Wiki Table of Hardware?

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Sep 2015 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

tmo26 wrote:

Topic: Pictures of devices (general views of the outside of devices)

Where from do we get legally allowed and reliably (i.e. long term availability) pictures of devices?
Manufactures websites tend to change, poor long term availability.

If I'm not mistaken, the images for certain routers (I checked the TP-Link Archer C7, for example) are stored in the :media section of the wiki. That solves the long-term availability problem.

I would simply recommend that the Device Page maintainer get the image from the vendor site. As far as legal questions go:

a) I can't imagine that a vendor would object to a fan site (and a big, popular one at that) using an image of their product in a positive light;
b) But if we received a copyright complaint from a vendor, we should (obviously) remove the images. We could also replace them with text that says "ManufacturerX has asked we not post their images to the site. We think there are lots of other great routers made by lots of good vendors." :-)

1) Source for dataentry: Current ToH --- zo0ok automagic conversion ---> single dataentry pages
2) New dataentry: Anybody can create a new dataentry page (according template or with help of predefined form, e.g. via "Bureaucracy plugin"; implementing this plugin would be step 2)

(Last edited by tmo26 on 11 May 2015, 11:15)

richbhanover wrote:

... will the person who ports OpenWrt to the WRT12345 router then be responsible for creating the Device Page, and thus the dataentry?

Porting is often a group effort. Someone gets a new device and posts the bootlog. Others fiddle getting various parts working and post their results to the thread. It's not certain when it's ready for prime time. No one has responsibility for providing documentation until they take that responsibility upon themselves. Fortunately, if a device has good features, someone ultimately does document it.  So it goes with wiki documentation.

Kudos to those who make the effort.

(Last edited by lizby on 11 May 2015, 13:19)

lizby wrote:
richbhanover wrote:

... will the person who ports OpenWrt to the WRT12345 router then be responsible for creating the Device Page, and thus the dataentry?

Porting is often a group effort. Someone gets a new device and posts the bootlog. Others fiddle getting various parts working and post their results to the thread. It's not certain when it's ready for prime time. No one has responsibility for providing documentation until they take that responsibility upon themselves. Fortunately, if a device has good features, someone ultimately does document it.  So it goes with wiki documentation.

Kudos to those who make the effort.

Yes... one aspect to think about is how the "Data Entry" and "Device Page" will start almost empty, and grow continuously, and what is important in the beginning turns less important later.

In early phases:
  Users: This device does not work. Go somewhere else.
  Developers: Here are all the details!

In later phases:
  Users: This device works rather well. Bla bla. This is how you start using OpenWrt with it.
  Developers: Go to the bottom of the page, click the "Developer Details" button, to get your details.

So where does the data entry go?

richbhanover wrote:
tmo26 wrote:

Topic: Pictures of devices (general views of the outside of devices)

Where from do we get legally allowed and reliably (i.e. long term availability) pictures of devices?
Manufactures websites tend to change, poor long term availability.

If I'm not mistaken, the images for certain routers (I checked the TP-Link Archer C7, for example) are stored in the :media section of the wiki. That solves the long-term availability problem.

I would simply recommend that the Device Page maintainer get the image from the vendor site. As far as legal questions go:

a) I can't imagine that a vendor would object to a fan site (and a big, popular one at that) using an image of their product in a positive light;
b) But if we received a copyright complaint from a vendor, we should (obviously) remove the images. We could also replace them with text that says "ManufacturerX has asked we not post their images to the site. We think there are lots of other great routers made by lots of good vendors." :-)

I guess this must be covered by "fair use" and allowed, right?

Status (as I see it per today)

Brand        OK
Model        OK
Version      OK
Status       NOK needs cleanup
  - check all rxxxxx if device is supportet by stable version -> done until r36435
    still needs small cleanup >r36435
  - trunk/WIP have high occurences -> can we reduce this (=check status)?
  - blank status has high occurences -> can we reduce this (=check status)?
Target       OK
Platform     still small cleanups necessary
MHz          100x "?", thereof 18x in "supported"
   -> We should at least know the MHz of the supported devices. -> high prio
   -> Majority of "?" is in possible or unsupported -> low prio
Flash        OK, nice and clean. Good work, zo0ok! :)
RAM          OK
Wifi NIC     NOK
  - Small cleanup needed in the Ralink department
  - where does "2x2 MIMO" belong to?
Wifi Std.    (OK)
  - Where does "3x3 MIMO" belong to?
Wired ports  NOK (but improved), needs small cleanup
VLAN         needs small cleanup
USB          NOK, needs small cleanup

Comments and help always welcome.

While looking at zo0ok's list: I see many occurences of blank entries.
I noticed, that empty entries in the ---- dataentry ---- section won't get shown later on, i.e. not even the column title is shown. I'm not sure whether this could be a problem or not (they are still shown in the wiki pages source code).
I'm not calling to cleanup each and every of them (we want to finish this sometime this year, don't we?), but when an empty field crosses your way and if you can easily fill it with something that makes sense, then go ahead, fill it! smile

I forgot the next steps:

1) refinement of our cleanups
2) finalize dataentry template (comment/agree upon the data we want to collect with the template, the definitions and the allowed values)
3) create dataentry pages, one for each device (zo0ok's magic)
4) tryout -> perhaps end of this month?

tmo26 wrote:

3) create dataentry pages, one for each device (zo0ok's magic)

It's not magic, I am just a lazy programmer wink

Borromini wrote:

So where does the data entry go?

tmo26, is it so that every dataentry effectively is its own Wiki page, with no other information, and with a fixed set of fields?
Will there be a template in place when people in the future adds new devices?

zo0ok wrote:

It's not magic, I am just a lazy programmer wink

Harrrr! Your lazyness leads to very useable and timesaving tools. Win-Win! smile

zo0ok wrote:

tmo26, is it so that every dataentry effectively is its own Wiki page, with no other information, and with a fixed set of fields?

Correct!
The big vertically structured table seen here http://wiki.openwrt.org/meta/playground#dataentry will be on a separate wiki page. One for each known device.

zo0ok wrote:

Will there be a template in place when people in the future adds new devices?

Sure! We can not live without.
Step 1: Normal wiki template page, placed  here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/meta/templates
Step 2: Create nice looking and easy useable forms via Bureaucracy plugin (geeez, type that B-word 5 times in a row without an error...)

tmo26, you were editing T-Com/Telekom, so I did not touch those supported devices without CPU.
About the others: a few could clean up of course. The rest:

Evaluation/Unbranded: Ralink V11ST-FE
  (poor article)
  https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ramips/rt288x/

Evaluation/Unbranded: XDX-RN502J
  (links to other article, questionable what this is at all)

Accton WR6202:
  (no article, no CPU/FLASH/RAM)
  https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ramips/rt305x/

Buffalo WLAE-AG300N
  (no article, no CPU/FLASH/RAM)
  https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/

Draytek Vigor2830 Series
  (article decent, very recently edited)
  Dont find any images under 'lantiq' that seems good. Is this Unknown/Possible (rather than supported)?

EnGenius EBC3500
  (article with some instructions and dumps. unclear if OpenWRT ever ran on this. ref to other router and its image)

SMC SMCWBR11S-3GN
  (no article)
  (I dont find any image that seems suitable in BB/ramips)

Sparklan WCR-150GN
  (poor article)
  https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ramips/rt305x/

TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 2.0
  (not supported, listed under supported since all other Archers C5/C7 are supported)

Turris CZ.NIC Turris Lite
  (not supported, device not available on market yet)

The TP-Link, Turris and possibly the Draytek may be devices that will have support in a while, but that should not be listed under supported (however, it may be practical to have them in the "main" list despite they are not supported, esp the TP-Link and Turris).

The rest is a rather sad list of sad devices.

Well, I also ran the update.

(Last edited by zo0ok on 11 May 2015, 20:01)

zo0ok wrote:

tmo26, you were editing T-Com/Telekom, so I did not touch those supported devices without CPU.

Looked at them once again, but found that the Speedport W724V isn't well documented. I've given up there, but could add some info on the W701V. Small success.

@zo0ok: OK, then lets regard the MHz column as OK.

In the meantime, I cleaned up the wired ports column a bit more. Should be OK now, too.
VLAN also some minor cleanup (put the ? at the right place)

Done for today, could use an update.

tmo26 wrote:

... Comments and help always welcome.

I noticed, that empty entries in the ---- dataentry ---- section won't get shown later on, i.e. not even the column title is shown. I'm not sure whether this could be a problem or not (they are still shown in the wiki pages source code).
I'm not calling to cleanup each and every of them (we want to finish this sometime this year, don't we?), but when an empty field crosses your way and if you can easily fill it with something that makes sense, then go ahead, fill it! smile

@tmo26 - I can chip in some time toward this effort. But I have only been following the general flow of this discussion, and it would help me enormously to know exactly what changes/updates would be helpful. Specifically:

- Where should we look for blank entries?
- Where would we look to find correct information?
- What's the proper method for updating those entries?

I think I know the answers, but I don't want to guess and do it wrong. Thanks!

PS Perhaps these steps could be documented at https://github.com/prplfoundation/openw … e/issues/8 so it doesn't get lost in the hundreds of forum postings...

Update: I fixed the URL for the ToH Hardware discussion on github

(Last edited by richbhanover on 12 May 2015, 13:36)

tmo26 wrote:

Not sure if I get this right...

When we do a final automagic read of the ToH and import to dataentries, I can of course provide default values or do data cleaning, in case of missing values or bad values. (I could easily replace no/NO with No for consistency).

The tables in the ToH have mostly the same columns, but not completely. Some columns are missing in some tables. And there are sometimes columns that I dont read at all. I can expand my script so it takes more (rare) columns into consideration, if we want to import those columns too.

Busy checking the columns with NOK status...

Question: Where does "2x2 MIMO" belong to? Sometimes it's found in "Wifi NIC", sometimes in "Wifi Std."
(havn't I asked this before...?)

BRAND    MODEL    PAGE    WLAN HARDWARE
Planex    MZK-W300NH    supported    Atheros AR9102 2x2 MIMO
Planex    MZK-W04NU    supported    Atheros AR9103 3x3 MIMO (RP-SMA removable)
Trendnet    TEW-632BRP & TEW-652BRP    supported    Atheros AR9102 2x2 MIMO
Upvel    UR-337N4G    supported    RT3352 2x2 MIMO
Sapido    RB-1132    possible    Realtek RTL8192CE 2T2R
Sapido    RB-1732 "WiFi King"    possible    Realtek RTL8192CE 2T2R

"Some" questions regarding the wired ports column, which is too crowded IMO:

In general: What do we call a wired port, or how do we understand the column "wired ports"?
Wired ports column = Number of RJ45 ethernet ports, don't care if LAN or WAN?

- Show LAN/WAN separately or summed up (e.g. 5 instead of 4+1)?
1 + 4x 100M    (if WAN/LAN separate: Which one first?)
4 + 1x 100M    (if WAN/LAN separate: Which one first?)
4x 100M + ADSL (?)
4x 100M + 1    (?)
4x 100M + WAN  (?)

4 LAN, 1 WAN, 1 DSL (?)
4 LAN, ADSL2+, WAN  (?)

- Are there devices with different speeds on LAN/WAN?
- DSL/ADSL/ADSL2+/VDSL/Cable/Fibre: Mention this in "Wired ports" or in "Modem"?
- VOIP/Telephones/S0/FXS/FXO: Mention them in "Wired ports" or elsewhere?
- Serial: -> column serial?
- What about "3x Eth"? "Eth" doesn't fit to the rest. Can we safely rename "Eth" -> "LAN"?
- FSX or FXS?

It is handy to discern between LAN and WAN, although for the ToH, you can just state the amount of ports altogether and the speed. I certainly would not drop the speed, that is something people would filter for I think. Since a lot of models have 5 port switches that can be reconfigured with swconfig on OpenWrt, someone savvy enough can reconfigure his LAN/WAN ports as one wishes anyway.

No clue on the non-Ethernet ports, sorry. If there are non-Ethernet ports into play, then it does make sense to list the difference. The 'cleaner' solution would be to have a separate column for the WAN port, but that would mean an extra column of course.

zo0ok wrote:

The tables in the ToH have mostly the same columns, but not completely. Some columns are missing in some tables. And there are sometimes columns that I dont read at all. I can expand my script so it takes more (rare) columns into consideration, if we want to import those columns too.

What about serial, jtag and modem as additional columns?
If there's some info available, we should take care of it.

Talking about columns: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#compex has 2x Status columns. That's bad. I think the 2nd one could be deleted.

Only now, after re-reading, I get the full meaning of your posting:

richbhanover wrote:

I have always wanted the ToH to keep the header of a particular model's router visible at the top of the page while scrolling (until you get to the bottom of that table).

YES, please!

Take http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#tp-link for example. The table is long and wide, hence the headers scrolling easily out of sight.

tmo26 wrote:

In the meantime, I cleaned up the wired ports column a bit more. Should be OK now, too.

Umpf... wasn't OK and still isn't. I improved it a bit, but still too much noise by DSL and others.

tmo26 wrote:

VLAN also some minor cleanup (put the ? at the right place)

Done that, and several other small adjustments here and there. Update would be appreciated.