OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Unable to get IPv6 adds through DHCPv6 mode using odhcp6c

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

We are trying to use odhcp6c for DHCPv6 support in our embedded Linux image, but we are not able to get a stateful IPv6 adds,

1.  On running the application we can see that initial IPv6 handshake passes and Windows server also assigns a new IPv6 adds (checked under Address leases in server manager) but the tool gets stuck at "Starting POLL" it doesn't come out of this, on running ifconfig also we are not able to see the new IPv6 adds in the board.

On debugging further we noticed that recvmsg call of dhcpv6_request function fails with error "Interrupted system call" and "Resource temporarily unavailable" and hence it never comes out of the while loop, dbg log given below.

root@wandboard-dual:/run# ./odhcp6c -ev eth0
odhcp6c[234]: (re)starting transaction on eth0
odhcp6c[234]: Starting SOLICIT transaction (timeout 4294967295s, max rc 0)
odhcp6c[234]: Got a valid reply after 1ms
odhcp6c[234]: Starting REQUEST transaction (timeout 4294967295s, max rc 10)
odhcp6c[234]: Send REQUEST message (elapsed 0ms, rc 0)
odhcp6c[234]: Got a valid reply after 1ms
odhcp6c[234]: entering stateful-mode on eth0
odhcp6c[234]: Starting <POLL> transaction (timeout 1800s, max rc 0)
recvmsg failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
recvmsg failed: Interrupted system call

Cross checks:
Board is getting IPv6adds through stateless auto configuration and using this IPv6 adds we are able to do TCP/IP communication with host applications, so i guess basic IPv6 requirements are enabled in kernel.

Board details:
iMX6 dual, Linux Kernel 3.10.17-1
Enabled default IPv6 options in the Kernel menu config, also checked with al IPv6 options enabled.
Windows Server 2008 R2 configured as DHCPv6 server, in the same server if we connect a Windows client its getting a IPv6 adds successfully.

Has any one tested odhcp6c for stateful IPv6 mode? are we missing some dependency or config settings?
Any pointers will be of great help.

(Last edited by mk_cs on 27 Mar 2015, 15:25)

Any pointers from odhcp6c users will be of great help....

I am just getting started with odhcp6c myself, but I'm wondering: were you testing stateful DHCPv6 only, or was your DHCP server also configured for stateless (RA)?
From the odhcp6c README:

1. IPv6 bootstrap from different environments with autodetection
    a) RA only
    b) RA + stateless DHCPv6
    c) RA + stateful DHCPv6 (either IA_NA or IA_PD or both)

Is "stateful DHCPv6 only" even supported?

The discussion might have continued from here.