OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build NoDogSplash with Buildroot

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi there,

I have a build environment building OpenWRT and although the built firmware web portal isnt working, I'm hoping that's just a configuration issue and that the build system is fine.  What I would like to do is modify the NoDogSplash package and load this into a factory image of OpenWRT on my router that is working.

How do I go about building  OpenWRT packages using Buildroot, specifically NoDogSplash.

Nick.

Just bumping this up, I have OpenWRT working and compiling as correctly now, I would now like to include nodogsplash into the process from source so that I can make modifications to it and include it in my firmware image.  How do I achieve this?

I've just run though the following steps in the article you posted,

---

git clone git://git.openwrt.org/14.07/openwrt.git
cd openwrt

./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
./scripts/feeds uninstall nodogsplash

git clone git://github.com/nodogsplash/nodogsplash.git
cp -rf nodogsplash/openwrt/nodogsplash package/
rm -rf nodogsplash/

make defconfig
make menuconfig

---

This line failed as the directory didn't exist

cp -rf nodogsplash/openwrt/nodogsplash package/

so I changed it to

cp -rf nodogsplash/ package/

That copied the nodogsplash source into the packages folder.  But it now doesn't appear in the list of available captive portals when using menuconfig, do I need to install it again?  I think a step must be missing.

Ah, sorry. I forgot to update repository of the OpenWrt package. Please try again.

There should be no request for any username/password..

Okay I'll have to log in then as it's definitely requesting credentials, if I leave them empty it says authentication failed and stops.

after logging in i get 403, I'm assuming it must be a private repository perhaps?

Terminal Output

Found the error, I had a typo in the url!

The package has now been selected and I am recompiling the image again, thanks for your time, it's much appreciated!

One last question while this is rebuilding, how do i make changes to the package?  There doesn't appear to be any source code from what was downloaded from git.  I'll need to make some modifications to the package.

How you can modify the NDS source code is described on the same wiki page.

(Last edited by mwarning on 23 Mar 2015, 14:29)

I see now at the bottom of the article you linked me to, I'll try that now.  Sorry my bad.

(Last edited by nick.pateman on 23 Mar 2015, 14:28)

I seem to be missing an option,

"Advanced configuration options" => "Enable package source tree override"

I don't see any options in that part of the menu, is there something else I need to do to enable this?

Okay I got it now, the menu is a little confusing, you have to press space on the "Advanced configuration options" to select it prior to going into the menu, then the options appear.

The discussion might have continued from here.