OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: 802.11n HT mode "secondary channel overlaps"

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I don't understand these settings  under the "Advanced Settings" tab of /admin/network/wireless/ in Luci:

HT mode (802.11n)
Force 40MHz mode help Always use 40MHz channels even if the secondary channel overlaps. Using this option does not comply with IEEE 802.11n-2009!

How does what channel I choose affect whether I can use 40MHz channels and whether "the secondary channel overlaps"?

eduperez wrote:

Have a look here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1 … 4.C2.A0GHz], there is a nice explanation.

Yes, I saw that, but I'm wondering about what counts as overlap? If the router detects other routers using the channels 40MHz would overlap?

According to the specifications, HT40 should not be used in "congested" areas (i.e., lots of other access points in the zone), as it conflicts with a larger section of the available spectrum, and is considered as "selfish"; you can also experience lower speeds with HT40, as it may interference with other APs.

That parameter just forces HT40, whatever other APs are in your zone.

eduperez wrote:

According to the specifications, HT40 should not be used in "congested" areas (i.e., lots of other access points in the zone), as it conflicts with a larger section of the available spectrum, and is considered as "selfish"; you can also experience lower speeds with HT40, as it may interference with other APs.

And that's why forcing it violates the standard?

Geremia wrote:

And that's why forcing it violates the standard?

As I understand it, yes.

The discussion might have continued from here.