OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help required with Nexx WT3020H

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I want to configure a WT3020H to be a Wifi bridge, but also running a DHCP server and a router.

I have a Roku box, which needs to receive custom DNS settings via DHCP, and I also want to add some static routes to remove access to some addresses (to allow switching Netflix regions).

I thought this would be relatively straightforward - I have the setup I want running with a linux box and a dd-wrt router. The dd-wrt is a wifi client bridge. The linux box runs a (second) dhcp server, but the roku is connected with a cable so it always serves it with a response first (other clients connect via wifi so get a response from the ISP router DHCP server first). The linux box also acts as a router for the device and blocks the IPs required.

However, I am struggling to configure openwrt and have now bricked 2 devices (I have more on order). Apparently failsafe mode doesn't work with this model. I am using the build from here:
http://onionwrt.link/download/
The first time I did something silly (removed lan interface), the second time I just tried to bridge the wifi and lan, changed the IP of the bridged interface to something on the correct wifi subnet, and lost access.

Its not clear to me how to achieve the setup I want and I am obviously a bit out of my depth. If the openwrt cannot bridge on this hardware, it would be fine to have a seperate subnet on the LAN port, with NAT.

Can anyone through any light. When the new batch arrives I would be happy to pay an expert for an hour or so of consultancy (or make a donation to the project) if it could help me get it working.

PS Any help to recover the 2 bricked devices would also be great. I have a CP2012 USB on order so I hope I will be able to reset them from the console.

(Last edited by thrope on 15 Mar 2015, 12:05)

Bump!

My next two WT3020H's have turned up so I would like to look at getting them configured this weekend.

Would it be possible to get any help?

I would be happy to pay for some consulting with paypal either directly or as a donation to the project.

I think I would need about an hour from an expert (10 minutes to hear my requirements, 10 minutes to explain the process, remaining time for trouble shooting!)

I have 3 different configurations I would like to know how to acheive:

1)  WT3020H acting as a wifi bridge to a separate private subnet (LAN port). Acting as DHCP server. This would be a double nat (Wifi would be from a home router).

2) WT3020H acting as a wifi bridge (same subnet), but also acting as a second DHCP server on the network giving out different DNS settings to a device connected to the LAN port. Also acting as a router for the LAN port client (need static routes to drop some IPs for that client device). WAN port should also be bridged to wifi (but doesn't need the DHCP server).

3) WT3020H acting as a wifi bridge (same subnet). E.g. to connect an ethernet printer to a home wifi connection.

I also have 2 bricked WT3020H I would like to try and recover using a serial console.

Thanks

I made some progress using a more up to date openwrt build.

I have followed the instructions here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/atheroswds

Since the WT3020 seemed to be using the mac80211 driver.

I have given the lan bridge a static IP on the existing wifi network. I have joined this in client wds mode, and the WT3020 wifi interface is added to the lan bridge.

The wifi shows as connected in Luci but I cannot ping to access point router. It may be the access point (provided by ISP) does not support bridging. However, I have a dd-wrt router connected and bridged successfully with "Client Bridge" mode in dd-wrt. I am not sure if this is the same as WDS mode.

At this point I would be really happy to pay for someone to help me get this working. Would $50 for 0.5-1h consultancy interest anyone?

The discussion might have continued from here.