OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Block video streaming

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hallo all
Is there a provision in OpenWrt, that will allow me to
either block videos entirely or restric videos to run only within a specific time range.

Thanks
Akaschmid

use tinyproxy to block http video content, and iptables rules to block rtmp and rtsp ports protocols in outgoing connections.
set time range using cron daemon to enable/disable the previous commands.

Anyone have a step by step procedure on how this is done?   

I currently use an OpenWRT based (Rooter; ofmodemsandmen.com) USB cell modem driven router because I travel constantly and don't have access to a direct connection, plus I find that a smart phone is an unworkable solution when doing research or seeking out detailed information online. Thus I connect my laptop through the cell network and the result is a tremendous amount of data consumed that I don't believe has to occur.   All news sources and many entertainment websites either believe or don't care that some users are on metered connections and they all download videos automatically even if you have something like flash block or other browser plug in to try to stop the process.

I was wondering if this can be blocked at the router.   I understand someone made a suggestion in the post above, but I have no idea how that would be carried out.   Thanks in advance for any explanation or workable solution to this dilemma.  I shouldn't be using 2Gb of cell data per day just to read a few articles and do web searches.   It has to be the auto video download that is killing me.

The discussion might have continued from here.