OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Easy USB Drive install?

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, new to OpenWrt and so far have found my way  around it very easily. But, I am stalled with the USB-Flash drive in the router.

I have a HooToo TravelMate Nano and installed OpenWrt from a thread here. It was a breeze. Followed the step-by-step and instant success. Thanks to all who had a hand in that, with a special thanks to Wingspinner.
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r42649 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r10532)
Kernel Version    3.14.18

When I go to the System/Mount Points and click "Add" I am not sure what to enter other than the /dev/sda

I know very little about Linux and just try to puddle my through before bothering people here, but I need help. smile

I did a search of the wiki and found two items, one showed a very out of date screen shots and no help, the other wast at the coal face with scripts.

I have set up what I think it needs and then used \\192.126.0.98 (bridged router IP) as I have done with other routers but windows spits it back with can't connect.

So, how do I share this USB drive with the win8.1 network?

p.s. Just found that win8.1 is reporting that the device "actively refused the connection." Is that any help?
Thanks

(Last edited by MyNewRouter on 26 Feb 2015, 21:27)

Thanks, but one of those is the script stuff that I have already looked at and mentioned and I have no idea how to go about.

The other link is also along the same lines. Please note that I said, I know nothing about Linux. I don't want to have to learn Linux just to add "Share" component to the already recognized USB drive.

Given that OpenWrt identifies and Adds the thumb drive on it's own, it seems to me that the rest of it should also be a point and click thing.

The software those links say are needed are all installed according to the list under System/Software.

When I try to use the "Download package and install" option for "kmod-fs-ntfs" I get

Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ntfs.

I need some help on specifics as to how to fix this.

(Last edited by MyNewRouter on 26 Feb 2015, 22:34)

When you use a trunk build, the packages (especially kernel ones) on the OpenWrt server become out of date every day with the publishing of a new build.  You will need to upgrade to the latest build and also download and save the ImageBuilder-- which has a copy of all the packages so you can install them from your local copy later.

kmod-fs-ntfs provides read-only access.  You need ntfs-3g to read and write an NTFS disk.  It would be better to format the disk to something other than NTFS.  Accessing NTFS on Linux is slow especially with a router that has a slow CPU.

/dev/sda is connected to the whole disk.  You can't mount that as a filesystem.  The filesystem(s) on the disk are in the partitions.  /dev/sda1 would be the first and often only one.

Thanks MK24, but you don't seem to understand, or didn't read my original post. I do not want to have to learn Linux just to activate the USB drive.

Saying I need to update without telling me or giving me a link on specifically what to do, I am going to skip it as too hard.

If people want Linux, OpenWrt, etc to get better mainstream use and ideally be a threat to windows, then this stuff has got to be made easier for the non-Linux users.

Sooo, the upshot of my short journey here is that I will drop OpenWrt from the router and re-image it with the original OEM crap. The linking to the USB drive and mapping it is as simple as plugging it in. I have to do nothing other than wait about 5-seconds and windows can see it.

The irritating part about this is that the underlying OS of the router interface IS Linux.

Look, I would love Linux to become the reigning OS, but as long as the mindset of current Linux users changes, it is going to stay in the 6% range forever.

(Last edited by MyNewRouter on 27 Feb 2015, 15:52)

The discussion might have continued from here.