OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kingston Mobilelite G2 (MLWG2)

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

blackysky wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:
blackysky wrote:

Just got installed via usb, after reboot got the only green and blue (internet) lights on, no wifi no lan connect. Is it end?, and i have to go to buy USB-to-TTL dongle ? May i flash it under Windows via the serial console? If so please point out where to read through. Thank you very much!

What image did you flash?

Just downloaded from main page from gdrive, i.e. "openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin".
I did install via usb both KernelA-B as written in the txt file. It even boot once i saw all settings and then look internet and after reboot get this ...

Sorry, don't really understand your last post.

"It even boot once i saw all settings and then look internet and after reboot get this ...". Are you saying it worked once?

At any rate, follow the instructions in this thread to recover via serial if needed.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 19 Aug 2015, 03:20)

thib5 wrote:

Anyone found a way to enter in failsafe without TTL to usb adapter ?

Good question. Is failsafe not working for this device?

blackysky wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:
blackysky wrote:

Just got installed via usb, after reboot got the only green and blue (internet) lights on, no wifi no lan connect. Is it end?, and i have to go to buy USB-to-TTL dongle ? May i flash it under Windows via the serial console? If so please point out where to read through. Thank you very much!

Just downloaded from main page from gdrive, i.e. "openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin".
I did install via usb both KernelA-B as written in the txt file. It even boot once i saw all settings and then look internet and after reboot get this ...

This problem happens when you install the Kingston Update before OpenWRT. It now trys to boot KernelB which was deleted by OpenWRT after the first boot.

I wrote a guide how to update after upgrading to 2.0.0.6. Maybe someone can commit it to the wiki before more people brick their devices.

To unbrick your device you need a ttl to usb adapter.

Thank you. Waiting for the adapter ordered.

meanwhile, will be highly appreciated to have detailed instructions at Wiki page how to proceed step by step.

Namely, i'm a bit confused what i have put to TFTP server as image, or for me now enough to do following command ober TTL:

mtd_write write yourimage.bin KernelA
uboot_env setenv bootstate 0
reboot

Thank you.

blackysky, did you do an upgrade of the stock firmware as HLK discussed above?

HLK wrote:
blackysky wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:

This problem happens when you install the Kingston Update before OpenWRT. It now trys to boot KernelB which was deleted by OpenWRT after the first boot.

I wrote a guide how to update after upgrading to 2.0.0.6. Maybe someone can commit it to the wiki before more people brick their devices.

@HLK are you positive that's the issue? I only ask because the instructions @blackysky and I use, flash both KernelA and KernelB. I curious if your instructions are needed if both KernelA and KernelB is flashed.

RangerZ wrote:

Good question. It's unclear if @blackysky was able to flash openwrt and then made some configuration changes that resulted in him not being able to access the device anymore.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2015, 01:52)

blackysky wrote:

meanwhile, will be highly appreciated to have detailed instructions at Wiki page how to proceed step by step.

Namely, i'm a bit confused what i have put to TFTP server as image, or for me now enough to do following command ober TTL:

reboot

Thank you.

As I stated in my post above, the TFTP image is "openwrt-ramips-mt7620-mlwg2-initramfs-uImage.bin".

The flashing command would be the below since you're flashing from openwrt (you'll be booting the initramfs openwrt image).

mtd -r write uImage.bin firmware

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2015, 01:58)

King0fK0ng wrote:

As I stated in my post above, the TFTP image is "openwrt-ramips-mt7620-mlwg2-initramfs-uImage.bin".

The flashing command would be the below since you're flashing from openwrt (you'll be booting the initramfs openwrt image).
mtd -r write uImage.bin firmware

Ok thank you, will try tomorrow. b/w after that, while openwrt will success boot, i can write same way Chaos Calmer 15.05-rc3 ?

PS Do i need it on this devise ? What is advantage ?

Just reading through found that i don't have image "openwrt-ramips-mt7620-mlwg2-initramfs-uImage.bin", and i can't build it myself. Can somebody upload to the google drive ?
Thank you.

(Last edited by blackysky on 20 Aug 2015, 11:12)

RangerZ wrote:

No, i boot the device after flashing as per Wiki (both kernel) connected via Wifi, and enter setting with Luci, then change the access point name, look around and reboot to apply, after that no boot, it is stuck now.

blackysky wrote:

reboot

Thank you.

No when you successfully connect via ttl, press 4 while booting. You will get into the uboot command mode.
Their you can change the bootstate.
It should be:

setenv bootstate 0
saveenv

After entering the commands reboot by pressing power button. power off -> power on

Now it should start OpenWRT.

When it does not you disabled the wifi somehow.
Does any of the led indicates something?

(Last edited by HLK on 20 Aug 2015, 15:21)

King0fK0ng wrote:
HLK wrote:
blackysky wrote:

@HLK are you positive that's the issue? I only ask because the instructions @blackysky and I use, flash both KernelA and KernelB. I curious if your instructions are needed if both KernelA and KernelB is flashed.

RangerZ wrote:

Good question. It's unclear if @blackysky was able to flash openwrt and then made some configuration changes that resulted in him not being able to access the device anymore.

Don't know maybe he disabled something. But I get that issue too after upgrading without setting the bootsate and an active KernelB as boot partition. First boot of OpenWRT works but then it is bricked.

I did 20 flashes in the last 3 days. All worked fine.

Flashing KernelB is unnecessary because OpenWRT is overwriting it anyway by enlarging the Kernel partition to 16MB.

(Last edited by HLK on 20 Aug 2015, 15:28)

HLK wrote:

Also in doubt here, that first boot i have deleted ad-hook connection i created by mistake.
Now i have light blue (internet) and green. No wifi, and can't connect via cable also, i assign to PC the static IP - 100,111,1, no luck. Any idea please ?

I hate to open cover, it always break something and getting crap...

blackysky wrote:
HLK wrote:

Also in doubt here, that first boot i have deleted ad-hook connection i created by mistake.
Now i have light blue (internet) and green. No wifi, and can't connect via cable also, i assign to PC the static IP - 100,111,1, no luck. Any idea please ?

I hate to open cover, it always break something and getting crap...

You can not connect via cable because it is the WAN interface. It will block anything from outside.
There was a failsafe mode by pressing a button. Never used it and someone told me that the button does not work correctly.

I hate to open cover too. But I do not see an alternative.

By the way:
I build myself an image with an update check at start which searchs for an sd image update. Maybe I will publish the init script in the next days when someone wants to use it.

Dear friends,

may i ask to share with me "openwrt-ramips-mt7620-mlwg2-initramfs-uImage.bin" file, just to have in case of bootstate will not make a difference.

Thank you.

blackysky wrote:

Dear friends,

may i ask to share with me "openwrt-ramips-mt7620-mlwg2-initramfs-uImage.bin" file, just to have in case of bootstate will not make a difference.

Thank you.

blackysky wrote:

No, i boot the device after flashing as per Wiki (both kernel) connected via Wifi, and enter setting with Luci, then change the access point name, look around and reboot to apply, after that no boot, it is stuck now.

You actually don't need to reflash. From your above post, openwrt was flashed successfully, then you made some changes in LUCI, rebooted and no longer can connect. The issue here is that the failsafe recovery method for this device isn't working properly using the reset button (at least for me).

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

With serial/TTL access, you should be able to access failsafe and reset your configuration. See the "Triggering via keyboard key combination in a serial console" section in the failsafe wiki.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2015, 17:59)

I have been following this thread with concern and have just reread both posts and both wikis.  I do not think I see a clear and complete idiots version of a process for migrating from the factory firmware to the idpinney version. 

To minimize my owning a brick, I have gathered what info I could find and begun a "Dummies Guide to Flashing the MLWG2".  Mostly a rehash of the text file so far followed by a bunch of questions.

Download and extract the files from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0CKgl … hZc00/edit
Format a device (USB/SDcard) with the file system FAT32.
Copy the file mlwfw_v1.1.5.9.bin to your media
Remove all other media from your device
Insert the media with mlwfw_v1.1.5.9.bin into the device
Insure the battery is charging or is fully charged.
Power on the device by holding the power button for more than 3 seconds.
DO NOT remove the USB/SDcard from the device during the flash process!!!

What is the use of the mlw-fw-header.bin file, if any in the zip package?

How am i connected to the device before starting the flash process?

How does one know the upgrade is complete?  What do I do when it is complete? (power off, reboot, issue commands?)

How do I connect immediately after flashing?  Wireless Telnet to 192.168.1.1?
What do I need to do? 
Set the password?
Specifically at what point do I run the 2 scripts?

mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA
mtd_write -r write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelB

When do the 2 8mb partitions become 1 16gb partition?

Is there a CLI string I can issue to move the Ethernet WAN to Ethernet LAN for easier access to the device?

How do I shut this down or reboot to avoid blackysky's problems?

What commands or queries do I want to run along the way to make sure things are on track?

How do I validate everything is done correctly?

It sounds like the default network config in the file is:
Ehternet -> WAN
WWAN
WLAN

My Linux technical skills are thin, so please, things like entering strings at a console should be explicit.

I have no need or desire to configure or load anything not required until I know I can power cycle with impunity.

What is the use of the mlw-fw-header.bin file, if any in the zip package? Ignore it.

How am i connected to the device before starting the flash process? Wireless or wired, I used wireless

How does one know the upgrade is complete?  What do I do when it is complete? (power off, reboot, issue commands?)

The -r in the second command will reboot automatically once flashing is complete.

mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA
mtd_write -r write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelB

How do I connect immediately after flashing? Wireless

Wireless Telnet to 192.168.1.1? Yes

What do I need to do? After you flash you do whatever you want to do like any other openwrt device. I went ahead and switched to CC RC3.

When do the 2 8mb partitions become 1 16gb partition? Automatic after rebooting into OpenWRT

How do I shut this down or reboot to avoid blackysky's problems? Don't mess up the network configuration. Currently the device doesn't have a failsafe (again, at least I couldn't get it to work). This is the biggest issue for newbies. If you configure stuff wrong, you will need serial to reset.

OK, Thanks for the info.  Some additional questions please.

I got the impression that powering on the device with the SB attached would start the upgrade process, but reading your reply that does not appear to be the case, so to perform the 2 "mtd write..." commands, I am guessing one needs to be connected to the device's shell to issue the commands.  SSH or telnet?  What is the IP, User and password for the device with the default delivered OS? 

Is the parameter USB1 for the MLWG2 USB?  What is the parameter for the SD card?

After the first mtd command, can I assume one is just returned to a command prompt?

When one telnet's in to the router for First Login, after resetting the password, can one query the memory for its value?  If so how?  If it is not 16000kb or so, is there any way to correct the flash at this point?

Can you supply a more accurate memory value from your device?

Kingston Mobilelite Wireless MLWG2 Install Instructions - Preliminary

Download and extract the files from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0CKgl … hZc00/edit
Format a device (USB/SDcard) with the FAT32 file system.
Copy the file mlwfw_v1.1.5.9.bin to your media.  The other files are not needed to install OpenWRT.
Remove all other media from your device.
Insert the media with mlwfw_v1.1.5.9.bin into the device.
Insure the battery is charging or is fully charged.
Power on the device by holding the power button for more than 3 seconds.Connect via cable or to the wireless SSID MLWG2-xxxx.  There is not password set at the factory.
Further connection details can be found in the manual http://media.kingston.com/support/downl … tGuide.pdf
?? SSH to the device at 192.168.xxx.xx with the user root and password xxxx.
Issue the following two commands  at the prompt:
    $ mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA
    $mtd_write -r write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelB
DO NOT remove the USB/SDcard from the device during the flash process!!!
The device should reboot automatically after the second command completes.
You will need to connect wirelessly to the SSID "openwrt" which is unsecured.  The Ethernet is now configured as a WAN port.
Expect to follow "First Login" procedures using telnet - http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin
Telnet to the router at 192.168.1.1
Set a password.
    $ passwd
Note: Do not perform any additional network configuration until you are satisfied that the device is operating correctly.
Reboot the router
    $ reboot
You should now be able to connect to the router via SSH or the web interface LuCi at 192.168.1.1 with the password set above.
On the default opening page Status=> Overview=> Memory=> Total Available should read ~xxxxkb/~16000kb.
Reboot the router from the System=> Reboot => Perform Reboot

Any corrections to the above?

@RangerZ,

Not sure where you got your instructions or gdrive link from...

It's not that complicated. From the WIKI

UN-Official Pre-Built Images

Install OpenWrt on your MLWG2 using a USB stick or SDcard. 
This has been tested by others… 
As Always…. Use at your own Peril! … No Warranty! 
USB/SDcard Factory to OpenWrt and OpenWrt to Factory Images. 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0CKglNyN0URflpRWFMyWUFQa1dsRUJldlpoZTAtNGlHSTdJY041NGd2ZmRfSDRhNkNOSkU&authuser=0 
The OpenWrt Image has NO Password set! 
It has LuCI installed the WiFi is ENABLED by default and is set to "OpenWrt".

Content of README

1) Put two files on a USB drive openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and a 0 byte file called mlwG2_v;telnetd; .x.x.bin

2) Plug the USB drive into the MLWG2 while it is OFF, now turn it ON

3) Wait for the MLWG2 to boot

4) telnet to 192.168.201.254 username 'admin' password is blank.

5) mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA

6) mtd_write -r write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelB

7) Connect either via the OpenWrt SSID or the built-in ethernet port.

######################

To revert to Factory Junkware :

Use the LuCI webinterface "Flash new firmware image"

"un" check the save settings block.

Choose File : mlwG2_v2.0.0.8.bin

Flash Image and Proceed.

I'm sure CC RC3 image will work fine also instead of the one provided on the gdrive. However, I can't verify since my device has already been flashed. I did switch over to CC RC3 afterwards though.

It was a really a trivial install. I never even saw the default firmware or did anything with it. I switched to OpenWRT right after I opened the box.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2015, 23:44)

King0fK0ng wrote:

@ldpinney, any comment on the failsafe not working?

I do not have a G2...So I dunno

Have you tried it using the serial?

Dugh!!  I guess I had too many pages open and grabbed the wrong link and wronger readme.

Instructions were based on the MLW221 readme and enhanced based on my questions and your responses in an attempt to idiot proof them.  Well that worked out well!

Questions on the readme
#4 - can this be done via RJ45 (ie the Kingston default is LAN)?
#7 - once flashed the Ethernet IS LAN, not WAN (as I though I read somewhere)
#7 - do I need to telnet for first boot or can i go right to the gui?

ldpinney wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:

@ldpinney, any comment on the failsafe not working?

I do not have a G2...So I dunno

Have you tried it using the serial?

Does using the reset button to get into failsafe mode on the G1 working? Haven't tried getting into failsafe via serial, but I'm sure it will work. Did you happen to be the one that submitted the patches to get the G1 and G2 supported?

Yes I wrote both patches.
But I don't have a G2....others tested it.

It's been quite some time since I used my MLW221....so I dunno
guess could I blow off the dust and try it