OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: EasyAcc 4 in 1

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have one of the these: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/easyacc/wizard8800
It works ok but the firmware is buggy (it regularly fails to mount hard drives and the DLNA support is broken)

The wiki page "looks" like it has all the information I need on it but I don't know how to use the information:(
I have run a buildroot environment to create packages in the past and I have a CP2102 that should let me access the serial console.

Should I get the serial console working and then capture the files from the current firmware (I have no access to image files for the device) or should I just get on with building a new firmware?
Should I try to use the "upload new firmware" web page on the device or just try and get the serial console working?

A couple of google searches imply that the openwrt sources have been updated to support the device:
https://code.google.com/p/openwrt-git/s … name=trunk
https://git-us.netdef.org/projects/OSR/ … easyacc.mk

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Graeme

Looks like a conventional RT5350 device, with a built in USB hub and card reader.  With a serial console you can boot initrd images of OpenWrt to see if they work, without changing anything in the flash.  This also allows you to make a backup of the original flash.

(Last edited by mk24 on 4 Jan 2015, 16:22)

Thanks!
I will open it up and start hacking smile
Graeme

I've been a long time user of the "other" open source router project. I've used openwrt rarely so far, but finding I can flash my EasyAcc wi-stor is intriguing.

If I move to the openwrt version mentioned here, will I still have access to the SD card and USB devices, at least from the linux prompt? The vendor's firmware integrates with phone APPs to allow transfers, so I wonder there's any equivalent mechanism for openwrt. Also, the wi-stor could connect to one wifi network and create a separate network with a different ssid, and act as a gateway. Possible using openwrt on this device?

Anyone else working on getting this going? I have the serial port connected and I've poked around on the existing vendor firmware. No way I've found to open up telnet, without flashing new firmware.

Thanks in advance.

(Last edited by i_void_warranties on 20 Apr 2016, 20:35)

I have successfully flashed OpenWRT and then flashed back to factory firmware I had previously backed up.

While running under OpenWRT I found that no configuration changes were written to the flash device. I wonder if the MTD layout is somehow wrong/incompatible. I don't get the "rootfs_data" or "art" partitions shown on the flash layout wiki.

Here's from the boot log:

[    5.180000] Creating 4 MTD partitions on "spi32766.0":
[    5.190000] 0x000000000000-0x000000030000 : "u-boot"
[    5.200000] 0x000000030000-0x000000040000 : "u-boot-env"
[    5.220000] 0x000000040000-0x000000050000 : "factory"
[    5.230000] 0x000000050000-0x000000800000 : "firmware"
[    5.240000] mtd: partition "firmware" extends beyond the end of device "spi32766.0" -- size truncated to 0x3b0000

This might sound very stupid from my part I admit that but.... is there any step-by-step on how to change the original firmware from my EasyAcc WI STOR 101 storage to the OpenWRT?

I can see a great improvement on changing the firmware and I will really try since I do not use the current Router capability .... I saw someone saying that through a SD card is possible to have a bootable version (not sure if its  really it) but that would be great eighter....

(Last edited by fernandoavc on 16 Aug 2016, 18:49)

i_void_warranties wrote:

I have successfully flashed OpenWRT and then flashed back to factory firmware I had previously backed up.

While running under OpenWRT I found that no configuration changes were written to the flash device. I wonder if the MTD layout is somehow wrong/incompatible. I don't get the "rootfs_data" or "art" partitions shown on the flash layout wiki.

If you'd still be interested, i'd like to follow up on this matter and find a solution.
Can you explain in short, how you managed to backup the stock FW and how you installed OpenWRT?
Did you use the serial console or just plain flash a file from the stock webinterface?
I need to make sure not to brick my device before i even start investigating.

My progress has come this far:

1. Connect serial 3,3V USB-TTL device to board by soldering. A real RS232 port will only show garbage in your terminal, as voltages are inverted with the decades old standard.

2. Setting up a TFTP server, providing initramfs image from EasyAcc Wi-Stor Wizard 8800 OpenWRT techdata page.

3. When uboot started, i selected

1: Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.

and started the image.

4. I made backups of uBoot, uBoot settings, factory and stock firmware with

dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=/tmp/mtd0.backup
dd if=/dev/mtd1 of=/tmp/mtd1.backup
dd if=/dev/mtd2 of=/tmp/mtd2.backup
dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=/tmp/mtd3.backup

the file sizes are 192, 64, 64, 3776 kB -> sums up to an exact 4MB.

5. Get the backup files off the device by SSH/WinSCPing into it.
Before this, SSH must be enabled by setting a password.

passwd

As no physical connection is open, with which you could transfer files, we need to enable WiFi.

uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=0
uci commit wireless
wifi

Of course the client which loads the backups must have configured a working IP configuration.
You'll get an idea how to do this by helping yourself with

ifconfig -a

6. Flash a non-stock firmware to the device.

reboot

choose uBoot option:

2: Load system code then write to Flash via TFTP. 

This is the point where i run into problems:
uBoot loader won't take any squashfs image larger than 3866624 Bytes (0x3B0000) = 4MB -192 -64 -64 kB
The provided sysupgrade squashfs image from the page mentioned in part 2 is too large and the bootloader will refuse to flash it. But i managed to flash a squashfs 17.01.2 LEDE image with a size of 3408044 Bytes (0x3400AC) onto the router. So far it will boot up, show partitions to save config and additional installed software.

WORKS this far. Saving settings is rebootsafe.

But things aren't optimal:
There's only about 500kB free space left to install software like luci, vpn, vnstat, adblock, dyndns or similar, which is really not much. Taking a look at the image file sizes, there should be about some 450kB -root -rootfs of space which are not used. I have no idea on how to compile an image which will leave me with extra flash space for some tools and drivers by setting fixed partition sizes.

And i am stuck at the point that i don't understand why the techdata page shows that flash size is 8MB, but after all i had to use image files which won't exceed 4MB flash size as the flash chip W25Q32BV probably is of 32Mbit/4Mbyte size.

I haven't had the guts to tamper with the uboot loader, as i suspect the 4MB limit might come from there?
I would be grateful for any clue.

(Last edited by molocho on 31 Aug 2017, 15:17)

The discussion might have continued from here.