OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Appear like a single device: add feature (openwrt)

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everyone,
I've bought a repeater Netgear WN3000RPv2.(openwrt)
I've already done some little mod but i need help to add two bigger feature:
- First of all, i need outgoing requests to appear as if they were a single device even if actually come from more devices connected to the repeater. (The router connected to internet should see only one device connected to itself)
- less important, hide the repeater from traceroute.
There are some ready package that can do that or can help me to do that? If yes what packages are? How can i proceed?

If you want to download the gpl source of repeater I recommend to get the firmware version 1.0.0.24 because in the version 1.0.0.36 there isn't toolchain.

If need more info just ask.
Sorry for my english.
Thanks in advance.

(Last edited by jazabrl on 30 Dec 2014, 16:08)

up...

up

jazabrl wrote:

- First of all, i need outgoing requests to appear as if they were a single device even if actually come from more devices connected to the repeater. (The router connected to internet should see only one device connected to itself)

This is called "NAT" and it is the default behaviour of OpenWrt between WAN and LAN. It only gets a bit tricky to configure if both WAN and LAN are wireless networks since that is not the default configuration of OpenWrt (for obvious reasons).

That being said, is the WN3000RP actually supported by OpenWrt? I didn't find any indication, are my search engine skills breaking down?

So the OP isn't actually running OpenWrt.

Thanks for the reply.
Onestly, I think that on WN3000RPv2 is running a modified version of openWRT. For all mod i've done, i've used some hint taken by this forum. (for example I've used telnetenable and edit some code)
So, Assuming it is actually running openWRT, what file i have to edit? what package i need?
Thanks again and sorry for the wait.

You can look at some files with cat e.g.
cat /proc/version
will show the build version
ifconfig
brctl show
explore the interfaces and bridges
ls /etc/config
if it's really a full openwrt you will have network, wireless, dhcp, and firewall configs.

Then what you'd do is make a wifi client interface to match your ISP's credentials and attach it to wan, and a wifi AP interface and attach it to lan along with the ethernet.  Like metai said, the built in NAT and firewall system will route and translate everything on your lan to look like one user of the wan.

(Last edited by mk24 on 3 Jan 2015, 03:19)

The discussion might have continued from here.