OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Edimax BR-6435nd / Intellinet 300N Wireless Dual-Band

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi people,

I've got several "inherited" Intellinet 300N Wireless Dual-Band Routers, which I'd like to put to some use, be it at least to broaden the hardware support of OpenWrt.

It's got a Ralink RT3352F SoC ("router on a chip") (brief) as a mainboard with a MIPS 24K @400MHz, a Macronix MX25L3206E 4MB flash, Winbond W9825G6JH-6 16MB RAM and a RT3572L for the 5GHz capability.

The board looks very similar to the DIR-615 rev. H2 (spare for the RT3572 part, and configuration-wise remarkably similar to the DIR-815 rev. B1 (same SoC, same daughterboard).

I've tried uploading the DIR-615 H1 build, but the web interface says it doesn't recognize it and tftp-ing the firmware (via 192.168.1.6, by pressing RST while plugging the box in) is ignored as well, though the image is transferred.

I'd really appreciate any pointers on doing so myself and/or would also be willing to donate one of my routers, if someone would be willing to create a build (i.e. probably just reconfigure the existing DIR-615 build).

I've uploaded some pics and theres more info about the box on wikidevi.

Edit:
The Edimax product page lists a firmware image as well as the source code (which, unfortunately is not downloadable) at http://www.edimax.com/edimax/download/d … /br-6435nd

(Last edited by geotti on 18 Dec 2014, 04:14)

Interesting there's space on the board for a second RAM chip (which you're definitely going to want) and two front panel external USB ports.  Must be some sort of hub chip in there, as I thought the SoC has only one USB port.

Get into the bootlaoder with serial console.  Try to figure out the flash partitioning, it is often the main incompatibilty between models.  Most have the firmware start at block 5.  (blocks 0-2 u-Boot, block 3 u-Boot config, block 4 'factory' : MAC addresses and wifi parameters).

You can also build yourself a ramdisk uImage for the prospective surrogate model, tftp it to RAM and see if it will boot at all-- this does not modify the flash.

The 5 GHz chip being a USB device you can probably just install the appropriate drivers as if it were an external USB wifi stick.

(Last edited by mk24 on 18 Dec 2014, 05:05)

The discussion might have continued from here.