OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N(D) Extended Build [v3,v5,v7,v8,v9]

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Mar 2018 and 27 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Andre,

I wouldn't expect more than 2 MB/s (16 Mb/s) on a device like WDR4300. I'm getting just 1.5 MB/s (12 Mb/s) on WR841N after all.

I'm using the official polarssl (mbed tls) package.

amq wrote:

Andre,

I wouldn't expect more than 2 MB/s (16 Mb/s) on a device like WDR4300. I'm getting just 1.5 MB/s (12 Mb/s) on WR841N after all.

I'm using the official polarssl (mbed tls) package.

Yes, I messed up the units. I noticed it and edited my post but your reply was too fast ;-) Thanks for the help anyway, at least now I know my results are ok :-)

amq,

Can i ugrade from your previous version preserving settings?

Thanks.
Juliano

julianocs, yes, there should be no problem with preserving settings (I've upgraded this way myself).

Hi amq.

I upgrade all of my routers... Everything ok.
I´m getting a lot of messages like these in system log:

SSDP packet sender [fdc3:963d:aa81::1]:37295 not from a LAN, ignoring

Do you know what could be?

Hi amq !

I have been eagerly waiting for your update and am finally happy to see it ! If you could only clear a few doubts for me :

[Signal: -39 dBm / Noise: -95 dBm]     Rx[-39 dBm    -95 dBm    1.0 Mbit/s, MCS 0]                                 Tx [20MHz    57.8 Mbit/s, MCS 5, 20MHz]

Even though I have set the channel width to 40Mhz, it seems that it auto selects 20 Mhz. How do I force 40 Mhz as channel width ? What does MCS 0 / MCS 5 signify ? These are my current settings :

Channel: 13 (2.472 GHz) | Tx-Power: 19 dBm
Signal: -39 dBm | Noise: -95 dBm
Bitrate: 57.8 Mbit/s | Country: IN

Is there anything (besides buying another router / antenna that I could do to improve my WiFi setup and maximise the speeds ? Or you could point me towards the necessary resources and I could read for myself. I'm also confused as to what "Distance Optimization", "Fragmentation Threshold", "RTS/CTS Threshold" do to the WiFi connection.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks smile

Tridon,

Do you have "option noscan '1'" in /etc/config/wireless?

... but I wouldn't use 40Mhz in crowded areas, it makes your router take twice as much radio space than usual.

amq wrote:

Tridon,

Do you have "option noscan '1'" in /etc/config/wireless?

... but I wouldn't use 40Mhz in crowded areas, it makes your router take twice as much radio space than usual.

Hi amq,

No, I don't have that in my config. Also, I have only one other WiFi network in my neighbourhood, on channel 6.

Here's the contents of  /etc/config/wireless :

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/ar934x_wmac'
        option htmode 'HT40'
        option country 'IN'
        option channel '13'
        option txpower '19'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid '#'
        option hidden '1'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key '#'
        option network 'lan'

(The SSID and WiFi key have been replaced by a hash)

Tridon,

Ok, adding "option noscan '1'" should force OpenWRT to use 40Mhz.

hi, thx for the firmware..it works great.

i would like to know is possible to put coova-chilli?

installing it from luci says there is no space.

thx

felix__1,

I won't add coova-chilli in my image, but you can go ahead and build one yourself (you'll probably need to leave out OpenVPN).

Simply download Ubuntu / Lubuntu (my preference) 14.04, install the prerequisites and configure the image using make menuconfig.

thx for the reply

i need openvpn too... i'm trying to build it leaving out all ipv6 and luci-openvnp and all other things in your post.

amq,

I seem to be unable to wget anything:

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# wget 'http://exopenwrt.rlnd.black/exopenwrt.pub'
wget: bad address 'exopenwrt.rlnd.black'

Updating lists through luci under System->Software also results in wget errors:

wget: bad address 'downloads.openwrt.org'
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

and so on for each entry

Disregard that, seems it was a simple dns misconfiguration tongue

(Last edited by TJKV on 19 Sep 2015, 10:02)

Just upgraded from r45545 to 15.05.
In both of my WR841ND v8 routers, on LUCI's OpenVPN tab this shows up:
http://i.imgur.com/ZEDYvLu.png
(myvpn is a VPN configuration that I already had working on the previous images)

marco_silva85,

Have you tried this?

amq wrote:

If the OpenVPN page in Luci doesn't work:

mv /etc/config/openvpn /etc/config/openvpn.bak
touch /etc/config/openvpn
amq wrote:

marco_silva85,

Have you tried this?

amq wrote:

If the OpenVPN page in Luci doesn't work:

mv /etc/config/openvpn /etc/config/openvpn.bak
touch /etc/config/openvpn

but /etc/config/openvpn already had my previous (non-Luci) openvpn configuration with:

config openvpn vpn1

# Set to 1 to enable this instance:
        option enabled 1

# Include OpenVPN configuration
        option config /etc/openvpn/server.conf

config openvpn vpn1tcp
        option enable 1
        option config /etc/openvpn/server-tcp.conf

where I already had configurations in server.conf and server-tcp.conf, which are [openVPN sintax-correct] configs, as opposed to the UCI configs for Luci.
Guess it's just an error in Luci trying to interpret them (didn't test my VPN from outside yet).

(Last edited by marco_silva85 on 20 Sep 2015, 22:46)

amq,

question.  You have included ipset-dns in the latest release.  Is this not to be used in conjunction with ipset? 

What i would like to do is run all my traffic through VPN, except netflix and hulu.  I have read tutorials  and they all state you need both.  Perhaps you have another way?

Thank You!

examples:

http://git.zx2c4.com/ipset-dns/about/
and
https://www.danielfett.de/privat,blog,r … omain-name

(Last edited by gtxent on 24 Sep 2015, 07:48)

@amq

Can you Please also make a Build for TP LINK WR841n v10 it looks exactly same as its old v9 Version and I tried to Make a Build for v10 everything is working fine in it I have just Modified the Hardware Version of v9 [09] Firmware to v10 [10] of v9 Firmware BIN File using the Hex Editor.

I am just facing the issue with Wireless Coverage/Range Only Internal Antenna seems to be working in it 2 External Antennas are not working when OpenWRT is Installed in it.

Can anyone here help in resolving this..

gtxent,
Yes, ipset-dns turns out to be pretty much useless without ipset (I found this out after publishing the image). For now, it looks like we don't have enough space for ipset though.

lohchab1,
Sorry, but v10 is not yet supported by OpenWRT. You could help by publishing the hardware details on wiki.

amq,

the ipset + ipset-dns packages, do you know how much space they require?  also are there any dependancies?  perhaps we could condense or remove unused packages?

amq

I have recently bought this router v10, but found that its not yet supported.

Am a newbie here can you please guide me how to find the 'hardware details' of the router and publish it in the wiki?

Dear amq,

I have Tp link Wr841 ND ver 9.2.I need to flash it to open wrt which includes open vpn.As i am using this just for open vpn.I tried ddwrt ,but it doesnt have open vpn because of low flash memory (4 mb).I will roll back to tp link stock firmware.Can you guide me from here please.

Regards
Sameer

(Last edited by sameerabdulrahiman on 3 Oct 2015, 08:39)

Thanks so much for adding dnscrypt, amq. That complements this build quite nicely!

Hi amq,  I appreciate the hard work you have put into compiling these builds. You have mentioned in later builds that you removed the USB support.  I have WR841nd v7.2 and I have used all your builds from BB to CC one to flash my router. But after flashing even your oldest builds I wasn't able to use USB. Do i still need to installed kmod-core-usb and other packages.

I have done the hardware mod to add usb to the wr841. But i can't seem to be able to use USB even after following official guide and installing kmod usb packages. Can you please guide me as I have been very confused as to how i can build my own image. I don't need openVPN but really need to have USB support so that I can add more packages by using USB space.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Will appreciate if you can share one of your builds with pre installed usb support. Even if you have olders builds of Barrier Breaker or older laying around smile

(Last edited by waqar on 6 Oct 2015, 10:26)

Sorry, posts 76 to 75 are missing from our archive.