OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT300N Linux?

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Interesting - so this one DOES run linux, not VXworks....i suspect that they may well swap to VXworks in a later version, but they're probably being nice to us linux folk. If they do later run VXworks on the thing, then they will likely make an 'L' model. The WRT54G will probably be outmoded by this, if the draft standard holds.

--neg

If someone were to send a unit or two to interested developers.....

I blew my wad buying my own WRTSL54GS because well I just wanted one anyhow, not going to shell out for hardware.  If one were to appear on my doorstep, I'd spend some time on it. But I'm more into the hardware and documentation and hacking parts of it, not a developer like Kaloz or nbd.

All pre-N gear based on Airgo chipset is running with Linux wink Tried to check the fcc site, but the internal pictures are confidental temporary sad

Okay, checked the tarball. It's Broadcom based, so we can add support for it. If someone want to drop one at my doorstop, just let me know smile

Actually it seems that there's 2 versions of this device already, V2 is being shipped over in europe.
It has different set of hardware, here's some information about both..

Version1:
- Broadcom CFE bootloader
- Broadcom MIPS cpu
- Broadcom 802.11n "MIMO" wireless
- Linux 2.4.20 kernel (on default linksys firmware)

Version2:
- Redboot bootloader (This is used also with linksys's nslu2, does this mean that in future we can use upslug2 to upgrade firmware in our wrt300n's?)
- Intel IXP425 ARM CPU (Isn't this also the same cpu used on nslu2 device? -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale)
- Atheros 802.11n wlan chipset
- Linux 2.6.13 kernel (on default linksys firmware)

jake1981 wrote:

Actually it seems that there's 2 versions of this device already, V2 is being shipped over in europe.
It has different set of hardware, here's some information about both..

Version1:
- Broadcom CFE bootloader
- Broadcom MIPS cpu
- Broadcom 802.11n "MIMO" wireless
- Linux 2.4.20 kernel (on default linksys firmware)

Version2:
- Redboot bootloader (This is used also with linksys's nslu2, does this mean that in future we can use upslug2 to upgrade firmware in our wrt300n's?)
- Intel IXP425 ARM CPU (Isn't this also the same cpu used on nslu2 device? -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale)
- Atheros 802.11n wlan chipset
- Linux 2.6.13 kernel (on default linksys firmware)

OpenWrt will support both.

Kaloz wrote:

All pre-N gear based on Airgo chipset is running with Linux wink Tried to check the fcc site, but the internal pictures are confidental temporary sad

But the WRT300N isn't based on the Airgo is it? I thought it was based on BCM53xx?

And, do you have any docs for the linux support of airgo chips? I'm interested in buying up a lot of the asus WL500W units, but I'm scared that the airgo won't be supported on linux.

gavin8or wrote:

But the WRT300N isn't based on the Airgo is it? I thought it was based on BCM53xx?

And, do you have any docs for the linux support of airgo chips? I'm interested in buying up a lot of the asus WL500W units, but I'm scared that the airgo won't be supported on linux.

These are draft-N (not preN) devices, and they are using different chipsets.

So are you saying all draft-N devices will be running linux? Or only the ones that use the airgo chipsets?

Again: Airgo = pre-N. Broadcom, Atheros, Marvell = draft-N. But as far as I know, currently all of them are running Linux.

I'm an embedded software developer and just acquired a WRT300N V1 router.  I'm interested in helping port to this platform (if necessary), I have experience with cross compilers and CVS (haven't gotten around to SVN yet).  Could someone point me in the right direction.  I'm unsure if the conclusion from this thread was OpenWRT should already work but no one's tried it yet or if it should work in theory but some hacking may be necessary.

Edit: Note: I have yet to run OpenWRT on supported hardware, though I did spend a year and a half as a quality assurance engineer at a startup company that was recently bought by Spirent, which makes test equipment for NEMs and ISPs, so I know my way around a network.  Feel free to call me a stoopid noob, but the supported device list says the WRT300N is a Work In Progress.

(Last edited by nonsequitur on 5 Dec 2006, 19:33)

jake1981 wrote:

Unless there is a way to find out the version number before even ripping off the factory plastic wrap and open the box, is it safe to presume the ones sold in US are all version 1?  just got a unit today from a local Staples store for US$130 and its MAC address 00183979Axxx. Can anyone tell from this MAC address if the unit is a version 1 or 2?

mazilo wrote:
jake1981 wrote:

Unless there is a way to find out the version number before even ripping off the factory plastic wrap and open the box, is it safe to presume the ones sold in US are all version 1?  just got a unit today from a local Staples store for US$130 and its MAC address 00183979Axxx. Can anyone tell from this MAC address if the unit is a version 1 or 2?

I have a WRT300N v2 and its MAC is 00183925XXXX. BTW, what is the current status of OpenWRT support on WRT300N?

The v2 (aka EU version) is IXP42x based and not supported, yet. v1 (aka US version) is supported in Kamikaze

Kaloz wrote:

The v2 (aka EU version) is IXP42x based and not supported, yet. v1 (aka US version) is supported in Kamikaze

Any idea about when will Kamikaze support the v2?

thnx

Without wireless it could be done in a few days,given I have time (and that would be enough to finish some other pending requests here). Wireless would be tricky, as madwifi doesn't support these chips, yet.

Kaloz wrote:

Without wireless it could be done in a few days,given I have time (and that would be enough to finish some other pending requests here). Wireless would be tricky, as madwifi doesn't support these chips, yet.

Apologies for bothering you again with the same question: any idea about when this router will be supported by kamikaze (including the wireless support)?

Thanks!

The discussion might have continued from here.