OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [found] volunteers wanted for MTK/Ralink wifi chip support

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

/* I' m no sure if this post violate the forum rule.
* If it does, feel free to tell me and I'll  remove it.......
*/

We are looking for the volunteer who can bring up latest mtk/ralink wifi support in official linux kernel, including pci wifi card and usb wifi dongle.
We can provide chip info, reference driver, dev board, etc. Sponsorship is acceptable, too.

What We expect you are:
1. skilled wifi driver developer.
2. can give us a promising schedule/roadmap.
3. able to contribute the code to official linux kernel.

If you are the one, please contact me. (hua.shao#mediatek.com)

2014/10/27 update:
Thanks for your attention.
I got several emails on this topic these weeks, and I believe I'm lucky to find the the volunteers I was expecting.

but I am sorry that [bold]the resource on my hand is limited[/bold], so I cannot fulfill everyone's request.
Since there are more emails coming, I have to suspend this plan until I got more resource for you guys. :)

Thanks. Sincerely.

(Last edited by nossiac on 27 Oct 2014, 08:37)

+1 for MediaTek's official effort to add its hardware support in the linux kernel.

I don't understand why, three years after the public release, 802.11ac SoC manufacturers are reluctant to release linux drivers. Haven't the power router users (and developers) already proved how much they like to customize/add features through openwrt or dd-wrt!?

(Last edited by mmrasheed on 9 Oct 2014, 13:57)

mmrasheed wrote:

+1 for MediaTek's official effort to add its hardware support in the linux kernel.

I don't understand why, three years after the public release, 802.11ac SoC manufacturers are reluctant to release linux drivers. Haven't the power router users (and developers) already proved how much they like to customize/add features through openwrt or dd-wrt!?

In chip manufactures' opinion, going open source is optional, but customers always the first.
If customers/vendors cares more about open, things would be different since long ago.

Thanks to the wave of smart router, openwrt community's impact become more and more important in customers/vendors,.
This is the timing, manufactures finally decide to go open source.

Long way to go.....  smile

Thanks for your attention.
I got several emails on this topic these weeks, and I believe I'm lucky to find the the volunteers I was expecting.

but I am sorry that the resource on my hand is limited, so I cannot fulfill everyone's request.
Since there are more emails coming, I have to suspend this plan until I got more resource for you guys. smile

Thanks. Sincerely.

+1

we are very interested in anything that makes wifi chipsets more open.

The discussion might have continued from here.