OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Release and renew IP

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am having troubles when I install new FW on my router Netgear WNDR 3700v2. My ISP remembers last used device and when I connect a new one like when I flash new FW the router does not get and IP from my ISP. I need to release the IP before I flash new FW but I do not know how to do that. Any1 could post here how to release and renew IP throught concsole/buysbox?

You can do "ifdown eth1 && ifup eth1" to respawn udhcpc. Sounds strange to me though, your MAC address doesn't change after flashing a new firmware, so you should be able to get an IP. Maybe it's an idea to do a tcpdump on eth1 while renewing to see if there's anything fishing going on.

Yeah it is strange really. The only FW that is working is Gargoyle. This is the last FW that I had and was working before I started flashing your builds, CeroWRT and stock trunk OpenWRT. None of them gets IP from my ISP. Even with the same MAC address used. I don't know what else to do.

Look in logread, try running udhcpc manually, tcpdump on eth1 smile

Release: killall -SIGUSR2 udhcpc
Renew: killall -SIGUSR1 udhcpc

Edit: If you are on BB, I think its odhcpc, but the flags are still the same as I recall from looking at the source. I haven't tried it though.

(Last edited by BashfulBladder on 22 Aug 2014, 23:23)

The discussion might have continued from here.