OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [X86]OpenWRT for SMP and 4G ram R41553

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi folks,

I compiled an openwrt x86 build again today, which version is r41553 , pretty new.

My hardware summary: Celeron 1037u (Ivy bridge) dual cores , and 4g ram , AR9280 wifi card , dual realtek 8168 1000mbps nics.

In order to fit different situations , I compiled 2 versions:
1.sda version. Would fit the situation that , if you install the system on the first bios harddrive. For most people , this version could work perfectly.
2.sdb version. If you install the system on second bios harddrive , such as usb disk /sd card /the second harddrive.

Don't know which version you should use?
Just try the sda version first.(of course , you should backup everything before you flash my build)
If you see the boot screen stops at this line "waiting root device /dev/sda2"
Then you could try the sdb version.

Similar to my last build
more detail:
1.Enabled SMP in the kernel , supports up to 16 cpu threads.
2.Enabled HT in the kernel , so it supports hyper threads.
3.Enabled big memory option , which supports up to 64G ram , and in my pc , it would shows about 3.7G highmen, if you know the different between highmen and lowmen , you should understand 32bit kernel can never really support 64g ram
4.it supports USB keyboard.
5.Very pure build, didn't come with any packages exclude busybox and some basic tools.
6.Compiled all intel/qualcomm/broadcom/realtek wireless nic drivers.
7.The root partition is sized at 512MB , so if you want to install it on a sd card , you should get a card larger than 1GB.

PunBB bbcode test
Have fun
Download address=>http://www.powerrc.net/x86-openwrt-smp- … 41553.html

(Last edited by PowerRC on 9 Jul 2014, 06:00)

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

Have you seen this? https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=35887

Although it sounds like your build is more minimal and up-to-date.

Yeah , I tried a lots of custom X86 build , but none of them works on my HTPC ( a celeron 1037u dual nic box) , due to the sda/sdb drive problem , since I am booting the system from a card reader ( which is built in my box actually).
And my HTPC is a real x86 pc , which leads me to custom a build for real x86 machine , not for ATOM.
So my build would work very good on similar hardware (about $100) , which I think is even cheaper than normal ATOM box.

(Last edited by PowerRC on 13 Jul 2014, 15:46)

Its a good job you came along, he just discontinued his build. sad

I will probably carry on using it unless I discover something majorly broken.

I'm actually considering moving away from OpenWRT for my router as it just doesn't seem well suited to standard PC hardware, too much of a pain to update.  Something that can be installed like a standard Linux distro would be much easier.

Openwrt *isn't* well suited to standard PC hardware and nor is it supposed to be. It's designed for standalone embedded routers.

There are plenty of other distributions out there that are designed specifically to work on standard PC hardware, e.g. pfsense.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Openwrt *isn't* well suited to standard PC hardware and nor is it supposed to be. It's designed for standalone embedded routers.

There are plenty of other distributions out there that are designed specifically to work on standard PC hardware, e.g. pfsense.

Could you elaborate on this please?
Why isn't OpenWRT well suited to run on a standard PC ?

kpv wrote:

Could you elaborate on this please?
Why isn't OpenWRT well suited to run on a standard PC ?

Like I already said, it's not designed to be. Same reason Windows Server isn't suited to running on a laptop.

Since you mentioned it, I've been using pfSense for several years and I don't find it being any easier or harder to install on standard PC hardware than OpenWRT. In fact, due to OpenWRT using a recent Linux kernel, it supports a lot more PC hardware than pfSense (which is based on FreeBSD 8.3).

pfSense's minimum system requirements are much higher than OpenWRT's so the base feature-set of the two systems is very different.

Btw I'd be most interested to hear from anyone who is using OpenWRT in a "big" installation.

Ease of installation isn't usually a priority with most professional or router software. And I'd disagree about the hardware compatibility. As for the minimum requirements and feature set, for the third time, that's the whole point. As for the kernel, well if you think FreeBSD's kernel is too old and lacks support there's no need to use it, you can just as easily install Ubuntu, RHEL, Fedora or SUSE and grab the absolute latest Linux kernels and drivers, Openwrt's hardware support will never even come close.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Yeah , the reason I built openwrt on it , is just because I could big_smile

I do try on several other X86 router systems  , like router os , clear os....After all , I still stick to openwrt , I don't know why , maybe I just like "opkg app" or maybe I like the UI design of luci
The reason I won't say about pfsense , is because of the poor wireless drivers on an old freebsd.

Great work! The problem with barrier breaker is that it's missing a lot of packages (like PHP)

Any ideas of where to find them or could you compile something similar with attitude adjustment?

Any chance you can compile an update version now that BB stable is out?

I have 4 of these for htpc's (openelec + mce remotes) and one for pfsense if openwrt is workable that would be great! Would you mind compiling a newer version for the community?

As powerRC is not really replying i started to create my own build for this, can share if people are interested (standard x86 image with only luci, multicore/hyperthreading and more amount of ram usable..

(Last edited by yoyellow on 27 Oct 2014, 17:06)

Sure just make sure you compile in all wifi modules it is a much stronger router after all. How big would you make the root partition?, I hope at least a gig.

The discussion might have continued from here.