OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-LINK TL-WR841N v8.4 no output

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I attached serial console to watch router's booting. First I unplug the serial and the power supply. Second I plug the router power and all leds light like every time and remains only to light power led, no other leds, I tried reset button but nothing. It putty there are no serial output after turn on. The router was not bricked and flashed with r23838 > working OK. Any suggestions ? I tried 2 different PCs. Does the router die ?

Thanks !

I know that is openwrt forum but I use dd-wrt. I want to save my router no matter if it is dd-wrt or openwrt firmware installed.

you DID NOT connect all 4 cables from usb - serial including VCC pin to router, right?

Connection is:

Tx-Rx
Rx-Tx
GND-GND

putty -> 115200, 8n1, none flow control

Seems that flash chip is dead. I need programmer and new chip. Please give some scheme of programmer to USB interface.

With serial console connected to the router and Putty on, unplug router adapter and plugin again. I have it the same issues with wr740 v4.27 only power led an no communication in putty. Works only if unplug an plug back power adapter. I use USB PL2303 To RS232 TTL

xxvirusxx wrote:

With serial console connected to the router and Putty on, unplug router adapter and plugin again. I have it the same issues with wr740 v4.27 only power led an no communication in putty. Works only if unplug an plug back power adapter. I use USB PL2303 To RS232 TTL

No effect. Seems that the cpu become hot after some minutes. The router was not bricked and run dd-wrt firmware After power on the PC would try to get ip, right ? There is not try to get ip, I try to set static but nothing. I think that the router have bad cpu so use my warranty and wait to see what happenes.

Can you tell me some words about version 9 and especially U-boot recovery mode ?
Did you brick your 740 and use serial interface ?

Also thanks for posting smile

(Last edited by Experimentator on 6 Jul 2014, 15:31)

Yes I brick my WR740N v4.27 after power failure when try to put back original firmware. For unbrick I used this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PL2303-USB- … 0682850512

Now I have dd-wrt on it.

LE. On dd-wrt website you router is supported.

LE2. For WR841N you need to plug in WAN and set ip to your network card 192.168.1.1

(Last edited by xxvirusxx on 6 Jul 2014, 19:43)

xxvirusxx wrote:

Yes I brick my WR740N v4.27 after power failure when try to put back original firmware. For unbrick I used this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PL2303-USB- … 0682850512

Now I have dd-wrt on it.

LE. On dd-wrt website you router is supported.

LE2. For WR841N you need to plug in WAN and set ip to your network card 192.168.1.1

1. What about if there is a power failture when update official with boot in name (update u-boot) ?
2. Is it possible to corrupt ART partition while update dd-wrt to openwrt or openwrt to dd-wrt or both to stock ?
3. What will be the result if you use the newest official firmware on the first bootloader release for example ? Does the router boot without problems any time ?
4. Can you erase bootloader and art partition with dd-wrt/openwrt and how ?

Thanks !

(Last edited by Experimentator on 6 Jul 2014, 20:16)

2.3.4. I don`t know. I am not an expert smile

xxvirusxx wrote:

2.3.4. I don`t know. I am not an expert smile

Thanks anyway. Appreciate your time to help! There are some experts browsing this forum. Glad they will help when read my questions

The discussion might have continued from here.