OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: NetGear WNCE4004

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea how to hack the NetGear WNCE4004 (N900 4 port WiFi adapter). I already opened the device, and hooked a serial connection to the 3.3v Rx Tx Gd, but didn't receive any output via Serial @ 9600 / 8 / 1 / None / None (Baut / Data / Stop / Parity / Flow).

Also, would it be possible to install a OpenWRT image from a different device, as I read somewhere that it has the same chipset as some other vendors/models. If so, could someone please explain to me how to do this?

Thanks,

Tim

First of all you must provide the hardware specs (SoC, RAM, flash and wireless chips).
For the serial port config try 115200 / 8 / 1 or 57600 / 8 / 1.

Thanks for your reply,

I've found the following "Hardware Highlights" on http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wnce4004 yesterday. Somehow this link is down today. Anyway, these are the specs from that site:

SoC              Ram    Flash    Network    USB      Serial         JTag
AR7240    32MiB    8MiB             4 x 1     No       Yes             ?

Baut rate change didn't give a difference. Maybe I made a mistake with my soldering, although I'm pretty sure I've matched this layout:

ETH|  o VCC (3.3V)      S  |
    |  o Tx              h  |
 ETH|  o Rx              i  |
    |  o GND             e  |
 ETH|     |              l  |
    |     |              d  |
  . |     |                 |
  . |     |_________________|
  . |

power
on/off switch

The discussion might have continued from here.