OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cisco Meraki MR12 Ethernet

The content of this topic has been archived between 25 Mar 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Would this image work with a Meraki MR16 ? and would i need to take it apart to connect a serial cable ?

grahambarrett wrote:

Would this image work with a Meraki MR16 ? and would i need to take it apart to connect a serial cable ?

It could, but the 2nd Wi-Fi interface would not work. Feel free to test the TFTP image to see what works without flashing anything! If I had a MR16 I could try to properly port it over, but I don't have the money for any more toys ATM.

ok had a quick go connecting a cisco chopped rollover cable to a MR 16, to the connectors J1-4,but no joy

the MR 16 also has connections JP2 with 4 PINs

How do I interrupt the boot sequence? and should I see some output before I do that ?

grahambarrett wrote:

ok had a quick go connecting a cisco chopped rollover cable to a MR 16, to the connectors J1-4,but no joy

the MR 16 also has connections JP2 with 4 PINs

How do I interrupt the boot sequence? and should I see some output before I do that ?

You should see output even if you don't interrupt the bootloader as the Meraki OS uses it for a console and bootlog. Make sure you have it pinned properly on J1: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/meraki/mr12

Also working on a new release, will update the repo shortly. Nothing new minus changing the WiFi LED default config, and updating to the latest svn source.

EDIT: Release is out at https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwr … ag/0.8Beta

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 6 Jan 2015, 03:06)

riptide_wave wrote:
grahambarrett wrote:

It could, but the 2nd Wi-Fi interface would not work. Feel free to test the TFTP image to see what works without flashing anything! If I had a MR16 I could try to properly port it over, but I don't have the money for any more toys ATM.

hello,

i have got one mr18 for my firm for free and i would like to change the firmware .

so i want to be independent of the cloud, will this fw work on my mr18 too ?

thanks in advance

(Last edited by creasqui on 22 Jan 2015, 21:49)

I've connected the serial port as directed, however when I connect and power the MR12 on, i get garbage on the console:-

3▒9)ی3▒)▒/Wh▒y▒}y▒▒▒▒{▒1▒▒k{Z▒;▒▒I▒;▒+--{▒){▒3▒▒▒ơ{)▒a▒{i[▒_▒F▒▒e?▒▒);▒);Z▒▒e▒▒{▒e▒▒);▒▒oS?▒[▒▒▒▒▒▒▒i▒;▒3▒ѯ▒▒-▒▒{▒3?▒;oe▒Y▒Y{▒3▒▒;▒▒/▒{Z▒▒k/▒▒m▒/▒Y▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ټ{▒▒▒▒QoeJe▒s_;▒▒▒9=w▒q[▒o3/S?▒۬3▒{e)o3?9▒q[▒ٯ▒{▒▒▒1▒;JZ▒;Y[▒q[▒)_{▒▒1▒1▒▒9ټoS▒▒▒3▒▒o;▒Q?▒m▒▒i▒;▒3/3??▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)z▒▒)z▒▒▒;W{▒[▒i▒;▒3▒▒▒▒A;▒[▒S▒b#o▒-▒▒Xw▒e{hZ▒▒Wv▒▒}▒3▒);o;e)_J▒S/▒߽Y}Y▒;▒▒Z▒▒▒)S▒▒ߌ3e)[▒i);▒-{▒j;▒!{▒;}▒);▒z▒[▒▒R-S[}▒);W;Z▒̌S▒S[▒_[▒1J▒S_{▒)o3▒Ʃ3▒h▒-{▒▒);▒_▒Y;Z▒▒▒)Z)▒1Jh▒[▒?▒-{e_▒Y[▒[}▒▒)▒▒;}▒3?▒-▒▒)Y▒)Z▒▒▒▒▒▒▒?▒-{▒Ѽ)ow▒)[▒?▒-▒{▒-1▒S?▒{▒jZo;▒▒▒P[}▒z){▒▒1▒{▒▒-)_}▒3zJZ▒▒▒1{▒3▒)Q▒S[}Y▒){▒)▒fS▒[o[▒/3▒{▒)-1)▒1o[▒)[o;▒)o3z▒;e)?▒[▒3▒{io-{▒▒▒{▒▒S[{▒z▒-{e_▒i▒S?)▒3?)?▒=▒鬔iJX▒▒P;▒)▒{▒▒[}▒qi▒){zJ▒1e▒)▒▒;▒▒P[}▒)[▒[}▒)▒))jR▒[o[▒?J▒Q[}▒    -▒1▒3?)▒{▒;▒[▒;▒)▒1;)▒{▒;){(▒▒){▒)o{)o;i▒-11J▒3z▒▒▒Zz▒;▒▒-▒{▒S_-jZo-▒▒P[▒i▒iJh)zJZO-P[▒i▒-▒▒▒;}▒1z▒;Z▒1▒ߌ-▒)[▒{i▒[o▒▒▒)R▒{▒;▒Y▒Y}▒3?▒-{▒Z▒[}▒)z▒▒▒▒▒▒)o{J▒▒){;▒){▒3▒1;)▒S▒▒){▒3YUy▒▒▒▒Z▒{▒3^Wv▒;▒Z^J▒7{▒1Z=k▒;▒Z▒;J▒1▒ٯ%▒▒w▒3^Wv(>J▒3▒▒▒▒▒Y}▒q;{▒  z▒;Z▒1▒Y▒1Y}X}▒S?▒{▒S_▒Y;i▒Y;m)▒▒A?;▒)[▒[▒Y▒i▒-{▒▒?▒g▒[▒▒{▒1Z▒-j;▒       Z▒%C;▒;)▒▒/3=▒▒3▒▒▒▒▒▒ܿN▒1▒▒Ϳ[▒Y▒YMz▒;▒▒)>J▒!-▒▒1▒y▒3▒▒i▒-q{▒;▒

I've tried multiple speeds and settings and nothing appears to work.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

I've connected to pins 1-4 of J1.

Hugh

I'm about to give up on this. I have 3 MR12s and a couple of Outdoor (sparkeys?) that i would love to be able to use, but I just spent 3 days trying to figure out the settings for the serial connection on the MR12s. Nothing seems to give a good output. At first i thought: Cisco, but the MR12 are from before Cisco bought Meraki. Nowhere can I find documentation on this. Even in this thread, no one explicitly says what settings they used for the serial connection. It looks like it should be 115200 speed, but i still get gibberish!

Anyone have documentation on the speed/data/stop bits/etc on the MR12s by any chance?

If i can't figure it out, they are all goin to the recyclers.

thanks in advance.

Great work my MR12 flashed. Only issue im having with latest release is when you install any packages like kismet, layer7 filters, etc its saying it requires the latest .8 kernel is there a way to fix this?

I had similar issues that DieterKoblenz had turned out it was the tftp server on MAC OS X used the tftp on my synology and problem went away.

Also just attended another conference and they've sent out a MR18 would be great if you had a hack for this too!

Thanks,
Chris

fingersuk wrote:

Great work my MR12 flashed. Only issue im having with latest release is when you install any packages like kismet, layer7 filters, etc its saying it requires the latest .8 kernel is there a way to fix this?

I had similar issues that DieterKoblenz had turned out it was the tftp server on MAC OS X used the tftp on my synology and problem went away.

Also just attended another conference and they've sent out a MR18 would be great if you had a hack for this too!

Thanks,
Chris

I will try to find some time in the next two weeks then to update the code and do another release.

As for the MR18, don't expect anything from me. Cisco locked down the thing so damn hard the only way in at this point would be to JTAG the NAND.

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 15 Mar 2015, 16:10)

Updated the repo and have a new release at https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwr … ag/1.0Beta Nothing new minus the new 3.18.8 kernel.

Also a bit offtopic, but if anyone knows where I can get an MR16 for cheap, let me know. I would also like to get that going on the latest OpenWRT repo.

EDIT: New version out again, this time bringing up the MR16 AP and the 3.18.9 kernel! big_smile https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwr … ag/1.1Beta

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 24 Mar 2015, 02:59)

riptide_wave wrote:

Updated the repo and have a new release at https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwr … ag/1.0Beta Nothing new minus the new 3.18.8 kernel.

Also a bit offtopic, but if anyone knows where I can get an MR16 for cheap, let me know. I would also like to get that going on the latest OpenWRT repo.

EDIT: New version out again, this time bringing up the MR16 AP and the 3.18.9 kernel! big_smile https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwr … ag/1.1Beta

Great thx - whats the procedure to update already flashed device? Assuming its just download the sysupgrade image and follow http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade

Ignore that worked it out smile

I just followed this guide and had great success! Is it possible to hook this up straight to my modem using the single ethernet interface?

brandonf wrote:

I just followed this guide and had great success! Is it possible to hook this up straight to my modem using the single ethernet interface?

Yes, but you first need to change the eth interface as its set to LAN by default.

EDIT: Another new build up at the normal place, just updated it to be in sync with the repo so nothing magical or new.

EDIT2: Finally got my JTAG jig, and am working on a NAND dump of the MR18 plus documentation on some hidden boot modes. Sadly no exploits yet, but I hope to have a writeup of my findings later so others can help contribute to getting it opened up. (Sadly it looks like it needs u-boot built for it though)

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 24 Apr 2015, 05:20)

I was wondering if anyone is able to help me with building an image for the MR12. I have followed the instructions from http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/meraki/mr12 and https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwrt-MR12-MR16 for building. I have tried using different OpenWRT builds including  r4565. I am able to compile sucessfully but I a missing the openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mr12-initramfs-uImage.bin file. Here is the list of files in the bin directory after a build:

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mr12-kernel.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mr12-rootfs-squashfs.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mr12-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs-64k
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-gzip.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.elf
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.gz
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.lzma
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-lzma.elf
packages

Am I missing something here? Do I need to change another setting in menuconfig or kernel_menuconfig?

Thank You,
Matt

Matt,

To get the initramfs image built you need to enable it in menuconfig under Target Images, then select ramdisk.

Also, it's worth noting that I submitted a patch to get these devices added to the master branch. Progress can be tracked at https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 32968.html or https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/471078/

EDIT2: Patch was Approved, so it should be merged up soonish! smile And for other good news, progress has been made on the MR18.

EDIT3: And we are merged! big_smile http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a … 6dbef1f92a

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 23 May 2015, 17:25)

I just signed up to say thanks for all your hard work guys! I successfully flashed my Meraki MR12 with OpenWrt thanks to the excellent instructions and links here (https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwr … es/tag/1.3).

One quick question - after flashing, the MAC address is now 00:03:7F:E0:00:2A (seems to be a generic one from Atheros Communications, Inc.) instead of the original one labeled on the bottom (00:18:0A:**:**:** from Meraki, Inc.). Any ideas?

This could be a problem for people with multiple MR12s and/or MR16s at the same location.

Thanks again riptide_wave, wooyah and everyone else who helped for all your hard work and perseverance!

wavracer wrote:

One quick question - after flashing, the MAC address is now 00:03:7F:E0:00:2A (seems to be a generic one from Atheros Communications, Inc.) instead of the original one labeled on the bottom (00:18:0A:**:**:** from Meraki, Inc.). Any ideas?

The reason for this is because the 00:03:7F MAC address is the actual hardware address for the unit. You can verify this in u-boot as it's the same MAC address there as well. This is because Meraki decided to emulate their MACs in the firmware, which allowed for easier programming and changing, instead of replacing the programmed mac.

It shouldn't hurt anything as devices should still all be unique, but for a tl;dr blame Meraki wink

Ah thanks! So the MR12s that you have there running OpenWrt have different MAC addresses than 00:03:7F:E0:00:2A?

riptide_wave wrote:
wavracer wrote:

The reason for this is because the 00:03:7F MAC address is the actual hardware address for the unit. You can verify this in u-boot as it's the same MAC address there as well. This is because Meraki decided to emulate their MACs in the firmware, which allowed for easier programming and changing, instead of replacing the programmed mac.

It shouldn't hurt anything as devices should still all be unique, but for a tl;dr blame Meraki wink

wavracer wrote:

Ah thanks! So the MR12s that you have there running OpenWrt have different MAC addresses than 00:03:7F:E0:00:2A?

I believe so, but I can't test until I am back home; on vacation ATM.

To be safe I recommend setting the Cisco MAC to your device from within OpenWRT to ensure each MAC is unique for now. Sadly there is no way to save Meraki's configuration partition with the way OpenWRT is installed, so you can blame Meraki on this one. -_-

EDIT: Yeah,  looks like Meraki never burned the unique MACs to ART. So you have a few options.

1. Use the atheros hardcoded mac
2. Change the MAC address from OpenWRT. Ex.

uci set network.lan.macaddr="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"
uci commit network
ifdown lan
ifup lan

3. Rewrite/Burn the proper MAC address into the ART partition. This can be done but a custom build disabling ro needs to be built. You can find the 2 NIC offsets at 65536 (0x10000). First is for the gb interface, 2nd is for the non-working 100mb interface.

EDIT2: On a side note work on the MR18 is SLOWLY progressing. Will probably get another thread up for it sometime in the next few weeks.

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 7 Jun 2015, 23:39)

Thanks, I think option 2 is sufficient.

What about the wireless BSSIDs, are they unique or randomly generated (or based off of the physical Atheros LAN MAC)?

The first wireless network I made has a BSSID (MAC address) of 00:03:7F:BE:EF:EC (I don't see anyplace to change it in LuCI)...

riptide_wave wrote:
wavracer wrote:

To be safe I recommend setting the Cisco MAC to your device from within OpenWRT to ensure each MAC is unique for now. Sadly there is no way to save Meraki's configuration partition with the way OpenWRT is installed, so you can blame Meraki on this one. -_-

EDIT: Yeah,  looks like Meraki never burned the unique MACs to ART. So you have a few options.

1. Use the atheros hardcoded mac
2. Change the MAC address from OpenWRT. Ex.

uci set network.lan.macaddr="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"
uci commit network
ifdown lan
ifup lan

3. Rewrite/Burn the proper MAC address into the ART partition. This can be done but a custom build disabling ro needs to be built. You can find the 2 NIC offsets at 65536 (0x10000). First is for the gb interface, 2nd is for the non-working 100mb interface.

wavracer wrote:

Thanks, I think option 2 is sufficient.

What about the wireless BSSIDs, are they unique or randomly generated (or based off of the physical Atheros LAN MAC)?

The first wireless network I made has a BSSID (MAC address) of 00:03:7F:BE:EF:EC (I don't see anyplace to change it in LuCI)...

Same story with Wi-Fi, Meraki never burned in the MAC sad You can change those as well using the above method, but just under the wireless interface.
Ex.

uci set wireless.wifi-iface.macaddr="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].macaddr="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"
uci commit wireless
reboot

@riptide_wave any news on the Meraki MR18?

radriaanse wrote:

@riptide_wave any news on the Meraki MR18?

Sadly nothing worth sharing at this point. If/when I get something more promising, expect to see a new thread (which I will post a link to from this thread)