OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: airmusic NW11 - AR9331/32M RAM/8M Flash/Audio Codec

The content of this topic has been archived between 28 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Polpot,

I used linux. It was easy. I'm not sure if it will work in Windows. If I remember well I had to use a telnet session in linux which I could keep open and then run the python script. I'm not sure if that works in Windows. I checked my previous post it says:

A python script that can use mw within the u-boot software. There are a few pages. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=54269. In essence one opens the router with a screen command, kills the screen, but the router is already connected. Then you run a python script that just copies all the bytes to the router. And finally you copy the data to you flash memory.

The above link refers back to the following two pages: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 15#p183315 and https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 95#p149595. In these posts they also used linux (command line "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200"). But in another post https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 84#p167584 they use Putty, so it might also work with windows.

Succes

Aldo

(Last edited by Aldo.Dekker on 4 Jul 2015, 17:51)

giobuc wrote:

I found an old firmware, it is 1.0.04; anyway it works.  Download from my dropbox, hope it can help someone!

Don't use web interface, upgrade via usb pen.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 … e_1004.zip

Do you have MW11 device with 8MB of flash storage or M1 device with 16MB of flash storage?

giobuc wrote:

I found an old firmware, it is 1.0.04; anyway it works.  Download from my dropbox, hope it can help someone!

Don't use web interface, upgrade via usb pen.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 … e_1004.zip

Is this firmware for MW11 device that has 8MB of flash or M1 device which has 16MB of flash? Because using wrong firmware will brick your device.

horvak wrote:

after a few resets I got the M1 firmware working but then it was really crackling and dropping out, I reverted back to the 1.04 and all is good but it took a few attempts by holding in the reset button at the back, letting it power down and reset.

I have Soundmate M1 device with 1.0.05 firmware and it uses Winbond 25q128fvsg (16Mb flash). I also had crackling and dropping out on analog outputs, but as suggested on digital optical out audio is working perfectly and without issues!

I downloaded few firmwares, versions 1.0.01, 1.0.02, 1.0.04, 1.0.05, 1.0.08 and latest 1.1.01 but I'm still not sure which firmware is suited form my Soundmate M1 (16MB flash) device because MW1 device has 8MB of flash and different flash layout using firmware from MW1 on M1 will likely brick the device.

Awesome blog post for M1 streamer with links to firmware downloads:
http://www.modlog.net/?p=1002

Aldo.Dekker wrote:

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59 * * * * /etc/init.d/ushare start

So every minute contrab starts ushare, this did not affect the number of dropouts.

This is "wrong" way to configure crontab, juse this line instead:
* * * * * /etc/init.d/ushare restart

I updated Soundmate M1 from 1.0.05 to 1.1.01 and I still have static and popping while no sound is being played over analog output.

(Last edited by valentt on 8 Jul 2015, 18:24)

Hello guys. I have an airmusic NW11, and when i plug an memory stick into it, i can see on my phone (ShareOn Audio app), the folders, but i can't see the files inside folders . Can you tell me please which firmware version can see music from the memory stick ? I have FW: 1.1.01-A21(A.01) .
Also i want to ask, if is any chance to unbrick another airmusic NW11, which i upgraded the firmware and after one hour stops working. I reset it but unsuccesful. I can't see it on my wireless list anymore. Both leds are on.
I'm using Windows, and i don't know how to code.
Thank you.

(Last edited by masterflac on 14 Jul 2015, 12:41)

valentt wrote:

I updated Soundmate M1 from 1.0.05 to 1.1.01 and I still have static and popping while no sound is being played over analog output.

I do with mains charger, TV's USB or cigar adapter -  but I don't if I power the device with a USB travel charger that runs off a battery.
The M1 must have no power conditioning and the DAC changes the charger's DC-DC inverter  'noise' to weird audio artefacts.

Thanks for the photo.
That is the one I bought from that seller. I used  SoundMate-1.0.08-A32(A.01).rar
from here http://kaopu.so/pan/soundmate
at the moment. It is better than the 1.1.xx firmware I tried in terms of extra features in the web interface (3G USB dongle & USB storage and server). To be honest I hardly tried it with the shipped firmware of 1.0.04 as I updated it after 5 minutes.

running:

telnet 192.168.222.254
root
ifconfig

gives me ~32M
Mem: 26496K used, 3008K free, 0K shrd, 528K buff, 3296K cached

(Last edited by snapdragon on 21 Jul 2015, 08:52)

masterflac wrote:

Hello guys. I have an airmusic NW11, and when i plug an memory stick into it, i can see on my phone (ShareOn Audio app), the folders, but i can't see the files inside folders . Can you tell me please which firmware version can see music from the memory stick ? I have FW: 1.1.01-A21(A.01) .
Also i want to ask, if is any chance to unbrick another airmusic NW11, which i upgraded the firmware and after one hour stops working. I reset it but unsuccesful. I can't see it on my wireless list anymore. Both leds are on.
I'm using Windows, and i don't know how to code.
Thank you.

Masterflac check the file  /etc/config/ushare

I changed it to

config 'ushare'
        option 'username' 'nobody'
        option 'servername' 'AirMusic-DMS'
        option 'interface' 'wlan1'
        option 'content_directories' '/tmp/mnt/disk-a1'
        option 'disable_telnet' '1'
        option 'disable_webif' '1'
        option 'enabled' '1'

I can read files from the stick, but I cannot play from windows to the device. I have Windows 8.1 and I think it is a windows problem because IOS and Linux is working well.

Aldo

Slightly off topic but if anyone else, like me, has been struggling to understand why clicking on the WiFi SSID in the stock firmware's web interface doesn't prompt for the WPA password - stop using FireFox straight away.

I spent half an hour trying to figure out why after clicking my SSID I wasn't subsequently asked for its network key, so jumped over to Chrome, clicked on the SSID in the device's web interface and was instantly asked for my password

Now up & running with the box connected to our WiFi LAN.

Grr.... ;-)

Hello.
Let me start by saying why the Soundmate M1 is not good enough for me. I bought it thinking i could connect it to my home wifi and stream from any device on my network. It doesn't work this way. And why is this a big problem? Because ALL my music is in a XPEnolgy NAS on my network. So I want to stream music that is on my NAS, from the music player on my tablet. All three devices need to see each other. I could'nt care less if they are in diferent subnets, but i already changed the m1 mask to 255.255.0.0/(router also) and had to reset it because he couldn't assign an ip to any device...so I assume, best case for me is a firmware that can do that out of the box.

After reading ALL this posts still not shure if I can flash my Soundmate M1 with Airmusic NW11 Firmware. Can anyone please advise me on that. And if so, can anyone post the best firmware for NW11 working on Soundmate M1, and any original Soundmate M1 firmware.. 'cause I can't find anything, firm related, for Soundmate M1, and don't want to brick it without having an original Firmware for recovery.

BTW, my device is just like the on the link below, even the PCB is equal.
Compared photos and made all comparisons to the sreens on that page. Oh.. And my wireless led is always red, even if connected to my wireless and with my phone or table connected to the M1.
http://kernelreloaded.com/reverse-engin … ndmate-m1/

Good linux knowledge here an reasonably advanced network knowledge here, so, hit my up with something good for every M1 owner!

Thanks in advance. Regards.

3 days passed and not a living soul to help.... hmm

valentt wrote:

Just found new latest firmware 1.1.01 but I'm not sure if it is for MW1, M1 or it could be used on both:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kmd3llw3xyg8 … ).bin?dl=0

i use that and the sound is better more faster to connect works perfect but the usb port still no working for read files from usb key

michellhdz wrote:
valentt wrote:

Just found new latest firmware 1.1.01 but I'm not sure if it is for MW1, M1 or it could be used on both:

i use that and the sound is better more faster to connect works perfect but the usb port still no working for read files from usb key

Thanks for your reply. So, you use it on a Soundmate M1 with the same hardware configuration as mine?
Don't need USB to play audio. I'm going to use it on a tablet to stream audio from my xpenology(synology) to my amp.

Regards

Before trying to upgrade SW, I would recommend first trying to get it to work. Amukinado, you describe how you want it to work, but haven't provided enough detail about your configuration.

I could'nt care less if they are in diferent subnets, but i already changed the m1 mask to 255.255.0.0/(router also) and had to reset it because he couldn't assign an ip to any device

It doesn't sound like the network is setup correctly. Nothing will work if they aren't on the same network/subnet. You have to make this match. The M1 is capable of connecting to 2 networks:

1: Access Point, this is where you configure the device. I recommend that you do not change this. Only change this if you have an IP conflict with your existing network space.

2: Client. This is the existing network that your tablet and NAS are connected to. Configure in the M1 GUI, the M1 as a client to this network. Rejoin back your existing wireless network and now you should be able to see both the M1 and your NAS.

Amukinado wrote:
michellhdz wrote:
valentt wrote:

Thanks for your reply. So, you use it on a Soundmate M1 with the same hardware configuration as mine?
Don't need USB to play audio. I'm going to use it on a tablet to stream audio from my xpenology(synology) to my amp.

Regards

i cant play from android but from any apple device is ok, usb port works for airprint

Wow, these SoundMate M1s are cute and frustrating, aren't they?  They're on Amazon for $17 each now (!!) and I decided it might be fun to play with one to try to do something which should be plenty simple.

Not only are they by far the cheapest tiny linuxy box I've seen, but they come with decent quality audio, SPDIF, and two wifi devices built in?  And they get power from a single USB cable?  That's nothing to sneeze at.

Goal: 

Forget DLNA and Airplay and such; I'm trying to stream live from my house to my garage.  Whatever's playing on my stereo or computer, I want to hook the line out to a tiny computer (I have that part planned and halfway done) which streams an mp3 or ogg stream via Icecast over my wifi.

I could try using Airplay but I'm already down with Icecast and it's easy to keep it going 24/7 without human intervention.  I don't know anything about Airplay.  I also see mpc/mpd as a good-looking option.

I figured it would be easy enough to turn off whatever protocols would be wasting CPU ticks and install a really really basic Internet Radio player.

I would then just need to set the player to play my stream on startup and anytime the unit gets power, it should start playing moments later.

I've been using unix/linux intermittently since college, and I can even survive in vi, so I telnetted into the box and tried to figure out how to install a player.

There's no make, no opkg, no install... is there a way to install something at all?

I found the "play.shtml" file in the lighttpd-based web interface but I can't get it to work.  I figured I might be able to take advantage of whatever cgi-bin magic is supposed to play audio off of the stick, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  It won't even list the mp3s.

So quickly stuck am I!

I am really hoping to solve this and write up a whole post with instructions.  $17 to play your wifi music in a small attractive form factor seems like a pretty useful tool!

Thank you.

michellhdz wrote:
Amukinado wrote:
michellhdz wrote:

Regards

i cant play from android but from any apple device is ok, usb port works for airprint

How did you make the airprint functin work? I've been digging through files for ages and found some references for p910nd, though it not being installed.

And for andorid I'm using AllStream, and it works great.

(Last edited by bardosi.bence on 19 Nov 2015, 23:18)

I bought IB-MP401Air which is just OEM variant of Soundmate M2. Firmware made by Uyesee is based on OpenWRT 12.09 so it's a little outdated. I wanted to use this device especially as DLNA server and renderer but uShare available in firmware is also outdated and it even doesn't share playlists and informations about albums and artists. So I started to play with OpenWRT. smile

Warning: OpenWRT  firmware for tl-wr703n-v1 has disabled radio by default so you will need to use serial cable to enable WiFi after flashing it or to use modified firmware.

I wrote ALSA compatible audio driver for AR9331 (using code for AR7240 from Qualcomm). I didn't implement support for audio codec so audio is available only on S/PDIF out but it support 16, 24 and 32 bit formats and rates up to 96 KHz. Source code is ready to release. I need only to create package for OpenWRT.

After installing mpd-mini and upmpdcli I can play http streams, .mp3 and .flac files directly from USB. MPD can be controlled in many ways, e. g. from awesome Android app MPDroid. Also I can use device as DLNA renderer.

My english isn't perfect but with little help I could prepare detailed guide how to flash, configure OpenWRT, move system to USB and configure services.

Little BUMP

Hello guys.
I just bought soundmate wm201 (but I am pretty sure these all are pretty much the same).
I have the problem - in every song after 1sec is drop of volume for a few dB. I figured out it is because of EQ in soundmate. In other words - the first second (which is louder) is without any EQ, and after this is EQ applied (therefore drop of volume and tone /if some EQ curve is set/).
Can I disable EQ completely? In settings, I can only apply "flat" curve, but it is not enough. I want to disable EQ completelly (so I can listen songs without any EQ curve and without drop of volume).

Can somebody help me? thank you

(Last edited by Oklep on 8 Jan 2016, 22:02)

av500 wrote:
laney18 wrote:

Is there anyway I can get this to work as a proper bridge and use my router for the DHCP? It doesn't seem to like the dhclient command. At the moment if I connect to the airmusic I can get online, but not to any other devices on my network.

Any help is much appreciated.

you don't have to connect to the Airmusic AP, you can use it only to configure the unit to join your WiFi network. then you can connect back to your regular AP and still use the Airmusic for streaming music, it offers the services on both interfaces

Hi, I wondered what I would need to configure to be able to use the airmusic from a regular AP. My airmusic does not appear in the list (of my iPad) as AirPlay device.
Thanks

bardosi.bence wrote:
michellhdz wrote:
Amukinado wrote:

Regards

How did you make the airprint functin work? I've been digging through files for ages and found some references for p910nd, though it not being installed.

And for andorid I'm using AllStream, and it works great.

i dont did anything i just plug my printer

HI. I flash the u-boot
mtd -r write / tmp / backup u-boot.bin u-boot
then the device is not loaded, one green LED lights up.
UART does not work.
somebody make from your device with a full backup of the boot loader
cat /dev/mtd0> /tmp/backup_fullflash.bin
cat /dev/mtd5 >> /tmp/backup_fullflash.bin
cat /dev/mtd4 >> /tmp/backup_fullflash.bin
thank you.

(Last edited by x98 on 7 Feb 2016, 16:51)