OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [SOLVED] No ssh-login after sysupgrade

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I couldn't login via ssh after sysupgrade of OpenWrt. I tried to login with ssh root@192.168.0.10, but immediately after entering the password I got the message

Connection to 192.168.0.10 closed.

So I ran ssh root@192.168.0.10 -v -v and found out, that the connection had been successfully established and then closed. I didn't know why that was happening and thought about what changed after sysupgrade. Well all the packages I installed where gone of course. But what missing package would stop me from loging in? Eventually I found out, that it was the bash-package. To make bash the default shell for root I had altered the corresponding line in /etc/passwd, which was maintained during upgrade.

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Now, when I tried to login via ssh OpenWrt tried to open a bash shell, but bash wasn't there. Therefore connection got closed. To solve this I had to login using the following command:

ssh -t root@192.168.0.10 ash

This opened a default ash-shell. Now I was able to install the missing bash-package and everything was fine again.

(Last edited by chevron on 19 Apr 2014, 13:52)

Nice tip! It happened to me some time ago, my fix was a factory reset lol
I hadn't time to search the problem...

The discussion might have continued from here.