OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@alexandrosio

LEDE will not be incorporating K4.9 at this time as the developers are working on stabilizing all platforms rather than moving up to a newer kernel that would increase the complexity. However good guy @sera is working on patches that can be applied to OpenWRT Trunk so you can build openwrt with kernel 4.9 on our devices!

(Last edited by lifehacksback on 8 Dec 2016, 02:26)

lifehacksback wrote:

@alexandrosio

LEDE will not be incorporating K4.9 at this time as the developers are working on stabilizing all platforms rather than moving up to a newer kernel that would increase the complexity. However good guy @sera is working on patches that can be applied to OpenWRT Trunk so you can build openwrt with kernel 4.9 on our devices!

i hope that LEDE will be incorporating K4.6 at least:-)

@sera, my config is really heavy(a lot of packages) i will try your setup after K4.9 finally goes live:-)

Hi, recently I tired the new r2443 LEDE on my WRT1200AC. And when I wanted to roll back to OpenWrt CC.01, it read in the luci interface as: "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform." I tired OEM fw, but the situation is similar. There are some other people around have the same problem as mine.

Could somebody help? thx a lot!

(Last edited by muronghan on 8 Dec 2016, 14:45)

@muronghan

You will need a serial connection to your router (USB - TTL adapter), transfer the image to the router (you can use WinSCP for this) then sysupgrade with --force switch.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

@muronghan

You will need a serial connection to your router (USB - TTL adapter), transfer the image to the router (you can use WinSCP for this) then sysupgrade with --force switch.

nitroshift

I just used a command of "sysupgrade -F xxxx" to have it back, but not with a USB-TTL adapter. Thank you very much!

sera, can i have latest swrt-?

thnx...

sera wrote:

swrt-2016-11-10
---------------

You all probably anticipated it but for testing and for people to build their own oppinions I moved swrt to using DSA for now. What DSA means in simple terms, eth0 and eth1 are still visible but can be ignored. Instead there will be an interface named wan for the "internet" port and interfaces lan1, lan2, lan3 and lan4 for the lan ports.

There is a somwhat reduced wan to lan troughput on kernel before 4.9 (only 770Mbit) so nothing a casual user would be bothered about.

Since today mwlwifi is back in action again and the overlay mount regression was fixed upstream a while back. So 4.9 and next should be perfectly usable again, minus the random packages not yet ready for 4.9.

Beside the usual kernel bumps there is also some cleanup work due to several bits having been upstreamed. The first 12 patches are still pending merge. They are the exact same commits so git am will have no issue to drop them should they no longer be needed.

Add some changes to the accompaning files in swrt. If you used build_dist.bash before, you might want to use the --all option to build all packages for later installation or build testing as well.

* linux-4.8: bump to 4.8.6
* linux-4.9: bump to 4.9-rc4
* linux-next: bump to next-20161110
* use dsa instead of swconfig, drop patches, extra packages, and fixups, mark swconfig broken
* firewall: bump, to get the 5 required fixes and a couple bonus fixes Jo did throw in.
* drop libncurses, the build failure is due to htop finding the host install, clear htop bug, libncurses just hid it.
* mwlwifi-nocompat: bump to get the fix for 4.9 and next, also fixes the bug wrt CONFIG_THERMAL=m
* netfilter.mk: updates for next
* various updates to files in ./swrt

swrt-2016-11-10.tar.xz: https://gpldr.in/v/LN8Ur5qs6U/o6nT5hpVTmBdoBRh
sha256sum: 59281eccf90d1e325bfea87bcea9b06795c875914bdc2450499f023c9195a4eb

How to get the sources and apply the patches to a local branch:

git clone https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git
cd openwrt
git checkout -b swrt-2016-11-10 origin/master
git am --ignore-whitespace <path to patches>/*

(Last edited by gsustek on 10 Dec 2016, 13:50)

Hi Everyone,

Could someone more experienced tell me what should i do to get rid of this error during an image build:

checking whether mkfifo rejects trailing slashes... yes
checking whether mknod can create fifo without root privileges... configure: error: in `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/build_dir/host/tar-1.28':
configure: error: you should not run configure as root (set FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE=1 in environment to bypass this check)
See `config.log' for more details
make[3]: *** [/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/build_dir/host/tar-1.28/.configured] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/tools/tar'
make[2]: *** [tools/tar/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_musl-1.1.15_eabi/stamp/.tools_install_yynyynynynyyyyyyynyyynyyyyyyyyynyyyyynnyynynnyyynnnyy] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt'
make: *** [world] Error 2

i am running the make command as root, Is that what it is complaining about?It worked fine in the past.

(Last edited by alirz on 11 Dec 2016, 02:13)

alirz wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Could someone more experienced tell me what should i do to get rid of this error during an image build:

checking whether mknod can create fifo without root privileges... configure: error: in `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/build_dir/host/tar-1.28':
configure: error: you should not run configure as root (set FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE=1 in environment to bypass this check)
See `config.log' for more details
make[3]: *** [/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/build_dir/host/tar-1.28/.configured] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/tools/tar'
make[2]: *** [tools/tar/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_musl-1.1.15_eabi/stamp/.tools_install_yynyynynynyyyyyyynyyynyyyyyyyyynyyyyynnyynynnyyynnnyy] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/ali/2a31be03-830e-4b99-ac3f-10a60ac8d2d0/openwrt/openwrt'
make: *** [world] Error 2

i am running the make command as root, Is that what it is complaining about?It worked fine in the past.

one of the main rules on the wiki:

1. Do everything as non-root user

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

configure: error: you should not run configure as root

You will likely have permission issues now, so may be easier to start fresh/clean, or chown -r you're way through the mess if your feeling brave.

(Last edited by cybrnook2002 on 12 Dec 2016, 01:43)

lifehacksback wrote:

@alexandrosio

@lifehacksback

Thanks for the information; just a heads-up, kernel 4.9 has been released smile

cybrnook2002 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Hi Everyone,

You will likely have permission issues now, so may be easier to start fresh/clean, or chown -r you're way through the mess if your feeling brave.

@alirz If you've ran openwrt make commands in the past as root or using sudo, they've never "worked fine", as everything in an image or tar would be owned by the user account of the PC you're using, not root on openwrt.

You're best bet is to issue

make dirclean

(Last edited by JW0914 on 12 Dec 2016, 10:00)

JW0914 wrote:
cybrnook2002 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Hi Everyone,

@alirz If you've ran openwrt make commands in the past as root or using sudo, they've never "worked fine", as everything in an image or tar would be owned by the user account of the PC you're using, not root on openwrt.

make dirclean

You can also change all the permission of the whole directory to the user you want to compile with smile

chown -hR YourUser:YourUser <path-to-OpenWRT-source>

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 12 Dec 2016, 11:38)

Chadster766 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
cybrnook2002 wrote:

make dirclean

You can also change all the permission of the whole directory to the user you want to compile with smile

chown -hR YourUser:YourUser <path-to-OpenWRT-source>

That wouldn't fix the issue when one runs make as root.  If a user uses root or sudo to build an OpenWrt.img or OpenWrt.gz.tar, the files within the SQFS will all be owned by whichever user account on the PC used root.

• I only know this because I was given bad advice by a user to do so when I first learned how to build

Simply put, there's multiple reasons why one does not use root or sudo to run make commands... if a user chooses to do so, especially when the build wiki states explicitly not to do so, any issues that arise from doing so should not be troubleshooted since there's no way to garnish what the actual issue is if one is using root or sudo to issue make commands.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 12 Dec 2016, 18:43)

guys, latest mwlwifi- copy 20Gb file from HDD esata connected.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2aaf0ci.png

Hi folks, I need help. I've flashed openwrt to my WRT1900ACv1 and tried a couple things to get VLAN 201 WAN tagging enabled. I'm doing it wrong. I think I'm probably mixing up eth0/eth1, but I couldn't figure out how to make `switch1` talk to the other eth port. I assume someone can straighten me out fairly quickly?

Looking on the Wiki, I saw this table. Still a little confused: /toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#marvell_88e6172

# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fda3:d351:b209::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option force_link '1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
    option _orig_ifname 'eth1'
    option _orig_bridge 'false'
    option ifname 'eth1.201'
    option proto 'pppoe'
    option username 'xxx'
    option password 'yyy'
    option mtu '1500'
        option macaddr '58:8B:F3:CE:BD:65'

config interface 'wan6'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 4 5'
    option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '201'
    option ports '0t 1t 5t 6t'

config interface 'guest'
    option _orig_ifname 'radio0.network2'
    option _orig_bridge 'false'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.66.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option dns '8.8.4.4 8.8.8.8'

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker here, have a WRT1200AC (v1).

Anyone else notice davidc502's builds/website have been unavailable the past couple days or is it just me?  I get a DNS resolve error. 

Thanks much!

starcms wrote:

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker here, have a WRT1200AC (v1).

Anyone else notice davidc502's builds/website have been unavailable the past couple days or is it just me?  I get a DNS resolve error. 

Thanks much!

The DNS provider Change IP has been down for over 24 hours. They have no ETA of when it will be fixed.

The site can still be directly accessed via IP address.  http://45.79.194.151/TrunkSnapShot4.4.7.html

@davidc502 is the 3200acm worth the money?

lifehacksback wrote:

I've been very pleased with the 1900acV1 and the 1900acs, and have no doubt the 3200acm is going to be that much better.  The ACM  reminds me of when I bought my Onkyo receiver a few years ago. When I bought it, I looked for HDCP 2.2 specifications, because I knew it was coming with 4K televisions, and I'm happy it is there, otherwise I would have had to have bought another receiver for my 4k TV . Long story short Tri-Band is coming quickly, and those that already have it in place, don't have to replace what they have today to get the best speeds.

my 2¢

(Last edited by davidc502 on 13 Dec 2016, 01:43)

Has there been any new news on the LEDE OpeWrt merging?

I've been testing snmp 5.7.3-1 and it's been working really well, and want to incorporate the new packages into either LEDE or OpenWrt.

ML, if you open a PR in OpenWrt packages, it will go to both as LEDE just uses OpenWrt package feeds

(Last edited by Villeneuve on 13 Dec 2016, 03:23)

davidc502 wrote:

Has there been any new news on the LEDE OpeWrt merging?

Dlang asked once more the right questions, I don't expect any usable answer to his question anytime soon if at all. Tackling the relevant aspects first just isn't how they work.

@gsustek

Bumped the series to 4.9 final yesterday, just didn't got to test it any more, will do a release later today.

Is it possible to flash OpenWRT to WRT1900AC, configure it and then make a backup to secondary flash?

lifehacksback wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

I have a WRT3200ACM, I am using it as the main gateway, tried the wireless, even with the latest drivers and it needs some time to mature. As far as I am concerned.

I am using my WRT1900ACv2 as an AP, WRT3200ACM as main gateway. 

I did buy it knowing that the wireless is in it's infancy, but the sheer power of it makes it worthwhile as a main
gateway(for me).

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 13 Dec 2016, 11:44)

swrt-2016-12-13
---------------

Since last time 4 out of 5 pull requests got merged and 5 new ones added. So the first 15 patches are pending OpenWrt this time. The eth0 vs eth1 patch is part of the series but as I still use DSA it doesn't matter. The RFC is out there, no need to switch back and forth for just that. Well, I thought maybe the extra week gives me some time to look into making the two coexist but was occupied otherwise.

As mentioned earlier there is a new usb led trigger "usbport". The trigger isn't a 1:1 replacement for the out of tree usbdev trigger. It lacks activity indication but instead allows the tiny usb3 led to glow in addition if it's a super speed (usb3) device. Let me know if it doesn't work for someone. With that only out of tree led trigger left is netdev, which sort of could be replaced by the netfilter one, thou upstreaming a netdev trigger might be desirable.

Haven't seen any activity upstream wrt xtables-addons and 4.9 so I threw in a patch and removed it from the list of broken packages. With that there are no real issues I'm aware of with 4.9 so I'm making it the profile default. 4.8 is still maintained for those who want it.

There also was an mwlwifi bump but the big Rango fix is still pending. Nothing exciting to report on that front.

* linux-4.8: bump to 4.8.14
* linux-4.9: bump to 4.9
* linux-next: bump to next-20161212
* linux-4.1, linux-4.4: backport ethernet DT node reordering commit and fixup base-files
* linux-4.8: drop spidev-test musl fixup, fixed upstream
* linux-4.9: backport usbport ledtrig fix from linux-next
* linux-4.9: make profile default
* mwlwifi-nocompat: 10.3.2.0-20161124
* xtables-addons: add fix for 4.9 and remove broken status.

swrt-2016-12-13.tar.xz: https://gpldr.in/v/ccEzHjWLNG/cbWX3LykiYhKA2mr
sha256sum: 1fd593705da2af408754928a8a95d784a732c9019aece0d3b39788b278c3644e

This thought just occurred to me:  one of the things the router mfgs have done poorly is communicate the true benefits of the hardware they're selling.  Since the 5g performance has been stabilised I've moved both remote stations to it, and with the WRT1900AC/S talking to each other I can maintain >30GB/s file transfers from both remote stations at the same time.

I'm guessing the WRT3200 with its "tri-stream" technology may be able to handle high bandwidth between three remote connections?

Yes, having the high cpu speed and lots of RAM helps out with non-standard home router applications -- but the main reason to use one of these routers is the wireless access and that's where these actually shine.  Just a thought.