OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@sera

I don't view suggestions or feedback about the wiki as nags, as the only way it's going to become [as well as be maintained as] cohesive and easy to follow is by it being refined.

Just to be sure, tmo26 didn't refer to the techdata pages but the shared device page? I'm asking because I see discrepancies and so would assume they aren't linked directly and can be edited independently.

The techdata (Table of Hardware [ToH]) page is where the 4 hardware tables in the wiki pull their data from.

For example, here is the code for the WRT1200AC hardware table in the wiki

=== WRT1200AC ===
---- datatable ----
cols    : Model, Versions, Supported Since Rev_url, Supported Since Rel, Platform, CPU MHz, Flash MB, RAM MB, Switch, Power Supply, Device Techdata_pageid, Comments_
align   : c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c
filter  : Model=WRT1200AC
----

I've included the full convo with @tmo26  below:

jw0914@dukgo.com [05/24/16-15:24:33]: Hey =]  This is JW0914 from the OpenWrt forum ([url]https://forum.openwrt.org/profile.php?id=138537[/url]) and I've been working on the WRT1X00AC/S Series wiki.  Another member had a great suggestion about adding a "Code Name" column into the hardware tables for the 4 WRT1X00AC/S Series routers, however I wasn't sure if this would be allowed or not since it may disrupt the continuity of the hardware tables templates 

tmo@jabber.ccc.de [05/24/16-15:25:11]: Hi JW
tmo@jabber.ccc.de [05/24/16-15:25:18]: how many devices have a code name
tmo@jabber.ccc.de [05/24/16-15:25:28]: how many of roughly 1100 devices

jw0914@dukgo.com [05/24/16-15:27:00]: That was my line of thinking, as I assume the hardware pages have a template and that template is followed across all devices.   I did at least want to ask as I said I would

tmo@jabber.ccc.de [05/24/16-15:27:22]: it's a question of usefulness: If only few devices have a codename, then the big tables will have mostly empty columns.

jw0914@dukgo.com [05/24/16-15:28:47]: I was thinking along the same lines as well.   Thanks for taking the time =]

tmo@jabber.ccc.de [05/24/16-15:29:27]: Yes, following the template is essential for the ToH to be useful. Fields that are present in only a few devices/data entries will result in mostly empty columns; and in the end, we have customers who expect all fields to be available in all data entries, so they can search the whole database.

tmo@jabber.ccc.de [05/24/16-15:29:35]: you're welcome :)

switch layout
-------------
* WAN is actually labelled INTERNET on my device (shelby), analogue to 1 2 3 4 for the lan ports.
* ac vs AC otherwise
* if the wiki allows crossing out cells would be better than joining unrelated ones, alternatively blacking them out would be an other option.
Edit: actually joining lan and wan cells works, sw.port and lan doesn't. CPU isn't an actual label -> surround with parenthesis?

Oh... duh lol  I should have looked at the WAN port on the back my router when I edited, as Linksys labels all WAN ports as "Internet"

I wasn't thrilled about using lowercase ac/acs in the Switch Layout, however when I used all caps (second table) it appeared quite muddled.  Unfortunately, DocuWiki doesn't allow utilizing more than 1 space in between characters and words, even if more than one space is utilized. I've changed it back to all uppercase.

firmware
--------
oobo was oobe, well, now I'm able to deduce it from context. Though I'm not familiar with the short form, others might neither and writing it out probably should be preferred.

It is annotated under arokh's section, but not under Synopsis due to redundancy.

Bootlog

Fixed

Also, please take a look at the Serial Port section, as I completely restructured it last night

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 May 2016, 15:29)

lowjoel wrote:
roger1008 wrote:

I tried to go to the alternate, but it always returns to the openwrt trashed image.  Also the recovery procedure for the acs - would that be different than v1?  thanks

Did you try switching the router off and on in rapid succession 3 times? Mine would boot from the alternate firmware partition after that. Rapid for me is toggling the router on and off every 5 seconds.

I do know that the failsafe mode isn't working with the ACS...

@lowjoel
Your reply seems contradictory... are you referring to a different failsafe than the manual way of forcing the alt image boot?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 May 2016, 14:11)

JW0914 wrote:

Your reply seems contradictory... are you referring to a different failsafe than the manual way of forcing the alt image boot?

My understanding of the standard failsafe involves OpenWrt booting with the overlay partition unmounted, as described in the wiki (press any button while the router is booting yadda yadda.)

The method I described actually replaces the firmware partition with stock from the alternate, so it's not really a failsafe as much as completely getting rid of OpenWrt.

Then again, I've only been working on this router for five days, and I've not managed to read this entire (500 page!) thread

I did try the switching the unit off and on as per the recovery procedure to get to the alternate partition and it comes up to a Linksys screen but as soon as I try to use it, it returns to the openwrt.
What I don't understand is why did it do two routers at once.  Is this firmware written to do any wrt hardware on the network?  I had to reinstall the firmware on the wrt1200.

dlang wrote:

personally I use minicom for serial consoles.

I use conserver to get the logging and console sharing features.  IMHO pretty superior for any type of console  I coudn't find it in OpenWrt when I needed it recently, but did a quick'n'dirty packaging if anyone is interested: http://git.mork.no/openwrt-bmork.git/tree/conserver

Needs some testing, and possibly a client/server package split, before being submitted. Anyone wanting to take it further are welcone to do so.  I will probably not take the time.

lowjoel wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

My understanding of the standard failsafe involves OpenWrt booting with the overlay partition unmounted, as described in the wiki (press any button while the router is booting yadda yadda.)

The method I described actually replaces the firmware partition with stock from the alternate, so it's not really a failsafe as much as completely getting rid of OpenWrt.

Then again, I've only been working on this router for five days, and I've not managed to read this entire (500 page!) thread

You're spot on; I simply haven't heard someone actually refer to the failsafe method as the failsafe method for some time (most times someone's mentioned it, they've been referring to the manual forcing of the alt image boot). 

• Typically, the failsafe method shouldn't need to be utilized, as since RC2 or RC3 of CC 15.05, CC has had the manual activation of the backup partition built into the firmware.  Since activating the failsafe method requires being connected to a serial console, most users would never have a need for it since they can simply flash the firmware via U-boot.  This failsafe method would likely only ever be utilized by a dev debugging firmware.

• There is a second failsafe option that is installed as a package, however it's ancient and should not be utilized.

roger1008 wrote:

I did try the switching the unit off and on as per the recovery procedure to get to the alternate partition and it comes up to a Linksys screen but as soon as I try to use it, it returns to the openwrt.
What I don't understand is why did it do two routers at once.  Is this firmware written to do any wrt hardware on the network?  I had to reinstall the firmware on the wrt1200.

Something isn't right/not making sense...

It wouldn't be possible for it to boot to the alt image, then reboot to the trashed image without rebooting. With that being said, a few things may explain your experience:

• Browser Cache

• Clear the browser cache, then try an access the WebUI again.  If you accessed Linksys' firmware WbGUI at the same IP as your OpenWrt firmware utilizes (i.e. default of 192.168.1.1), then the browser will attempt to load some cached content if it can't access the page.

• Another possibility is you didn't turn the router off and then on again fast enough to switch to the alternate image

• If that fails, you'll most likely need to do a TFTP Flash

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 May 2016, 14:41)

roger1008 wrote:

Clear your browser cache.

David

I thinking about returning my V1 (Mamba) to get a V2 (Cobra), any thought about that ?

Edit: Mostly because of numerous issues affecting the hardware and because the market is now mostly V2s and ACSs

(Last edited by mrfrezee on 25 May 2016, 14:40)

belliash wrote:

Actually I got OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45269 on my WRT1900ACv1. I would like to upgrade and got 2 questions:
1) Can I flash any image, or should I get back to stock and then flash OpenWRT again?
2) Which image could you recommend? Which has best wifi support?

Anyone?

JW0914 wrote:

The techdata (Table of Hardware [ToH]) page is where the 4 hardware tables in the wiki pull their data from.

For example, here is the code for the WRT1200AC hardware table in the wiki

Ok, the coin finally dropped. Nothing we can do about then.

switch section
------------

* (CPU) refers to the internal virtual connection that binds LAN to 1 virtual CPU port and WAN to a second virtual CPU port
        * LAN refers to the 4 physical LAN ports on router
        * WAN refers to the physical Internet port on router

There are no virtual connections or ports. it's just that those cpu ports aren't accessible from outside the case. The soc has it's ethernet ports (eth0, eth1) hardwired to switch ports 5 and 6. The switch is configured for two networks lan and wan.

* How about replacing (CPU) with (eth0) and (eth1)?
* It says INTERNET on the device, not Internet. Is your change intentional?
* please don't merge switch ports cells with lan cells

belliash wrote:
belliash wrote:

Actually I got OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45269 on my WRT1900ACv1. I would like to upgrade and got 2 questions:
1) Can I flash any image, or should I get back to stock and then flash OpenWRT again?
2) Which image would you recommend? Which has best wifi support?

Anyone?

You can simply flash the image.  You may find information in the Flashing Firmware section of the Wiki helpful.

As to what image, it's personal preference.  Synopsis' and build info links are available within the Firmware Images section of the Wiki

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 May 2016, 15:32)

Did the firmware recovery, cleared cache and got the ip of router, which was not 192.168.1.1, connected to it and reset to factory and reloaded factory firmware to the other partition.  thank you again.

sera wrote:

switch section
------------
There are no virtual connections or ports. it's just that those cpu ports aren't accessible from outside the case. The soc has it's ethernet ports (eth0, eth1) hardwired to switch ports 5 and 6. The switch is configured for two networks lan and wan.

* How about replacing (CPU) with (eth0) and (eth1)?
* It says INTERNET on the device, not Internet. Is your change intentional?
* please don't merge switch ports cells with lan cells

etho/eth1 has been updated

• Are the eth0/eth1 assignments the same across the 4 devices? 

• I know the WRT1200AC has eth0 as WAN, eth1 as LAN, however I've bridge eth0/eth1 on my WRT1900AC v1 and can't remember which was which prior to

It's in all uppercase on the device as it's easier for consumers to see than lowercase with small fonts.  This is a non-issue.

Cells in switch ports are not merged... Tables in DokuWiki are interactive (pass mouse over any of the cells; with the effect being more pronounced in the Flash Storage Layout).

roger1008 wrote:

Did the firmware recovery, cleared cache and got the ip of router, which was not 192.168.1.1, connected to it and reset to factory and reloaded factory firmware to the other partition.  thank you again.

IP of the router will depend on the firmware flashed, as some firmware images have the subnets set differently

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 May 2016, 16:11)

JW0914 wrote:

• I know the WRT1200AC has eth0 as WAN, eth1 as LAN, however I've bridge eth0/eth1 on my WRT1900AC v1 and can't remember which was which prior to

As far as I can tell, eth0 is always on port 5 and eth1 is always on port 6. The difference is that the LAN VLAN uses port 5 on the 1900v1 and port 6 on the others (and vice-versa on the WAN VLAN). So, you end up with eth0 for LAN on the v1 and eth1 on the others.

Out of curiosity, why are you bridging the two eth interfaces?

mrfrezee wrote:

I thinking about returning my V1 (Mamba) to get a V2 (Cobra), any thought about that ?

Edit: Mostly because of numerous issues affecting the hardware and because the market is now mostly V2s and ACSs

From time to time you can find them used on Ebay at about half price of new.

leitec wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

As far as I can tell, eth0 is always on port 5 and eth1 is always on port 6. The difference is that the LAN VLAN uses port 5 on the 1900v1 and port 6 on the others (and vice-versa on the WAN VLAN). So, you end up with eth0 for LAN on the v1 and eth1 on the others.

Out of curiosity, why are you bridging the two eth interfaces?

I use a custom built router box running Sophos UTM [Unified Threat Management] as my WAN facing SA [Software Appliance] router. 

• SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F server board (8C 2.4gHz Intel Atom C2758, ~20W)

• I354 Quad GbE w/ a dedicated IPMI interface port

• 16GB ECC RAM

• Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SSD

Since I built the router box after buying the WRT1900, I essentially use it now as a smart switch; however, I keep most of the services I use via Sophos installed and up to date on it in case I ever need to use it as a primary again.

It also serves the purpose of a second path for my 35TB FreeNAS server, as it's on it's own separate subnet through Sophos, with the WRT1900 also being the DHCP relay server for the main subnet.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 May 2016, 19:31)

mrfrezee wrote:

Personally i think you wouldn't see any real life difference. all the (openssl) benchmarking may look cool, but for regular wifi use you never tap into more than 5% of the potential of these routers.

What issues do you currently have to, wanting you to switch?

JW0914 wrote:
belliash wrote:
belliash wrote:

2) Which image would you recommend? Which has best wifi support?

Anyone?

You can simply flash the image.  You may find information in the Flashing Firmware section of the Wiki helpful.

As to what image, it's personal preference.  Synopsis' and build info links are available within the Firmware Images section of the Wiki

Great, last question. Is the latest wifi driver included in trunk?

belliash wrote:

Almost certainly not. I saw a post saying that nothing has been committed for longer than the firmware has been out due to the issues around the LEDE fork.

JohnnySL wrote:
mrfrezee wrote:

Personally i think you wouldn't see any real life difference. all the (openssl) benchmarking may look cool, but for regular wifi use you never tap into more than 5% of the potential of these routers.

Nand timeout patch is just a band-aid and we got no real solution to fix this mamba specific problem yet, i still get some from time to time (heavy use). I have a weird issue where kmod-pppoe sometimes stall the CPU when used with VLANs (and it's working great with a friend of mine (ACS) with one of my builds, same operator and same VLANs). And because of it's price, this router isn't broadly used and some of my friends, like most of y'all, waited for a near-stable OpenWRT release before buying it and got V2's or ACS's.

(Last edited by mrfrezee on 25 May 2016, 20:42)

dlang wrote:
belliash wrote:

Almost certainly not. I saw a post saying that nothing has been committed for longer than the firmware has been out due to the issues around the LEDE fork.

No it's not. Trunk isn't active since 13 days (source git.openwrt.org) and the last commit was r49377.

mrfrezee wrote:
JohnnySL wrote:
mrfrezee wrote:

Nand timeout patch is just a band-aid and we got no real solution to fix this mamba specific problem yet, i still get some from time to time (heavy use). I have a weird issue where kmod-pppoe sometimes stall the CPU when used with VLANs (and it's working great with a friend of mine (ACS) with one of my builds, same operator and same VLANs). And because of it's price, this router isn't broadly used and some of my friends, like most of y'all, waited for a near-stable OpenWRT release before buying it and got V2's or ACS's.

even on lede? nbd develops against a V1, he doesn't have a V2/ACS. That is why i would have expected that  the router would run ok on lede.
pppoe is on the todo list of lede, but i must conclude it is rocksolid on my router, with a 500mbit connection.

(Last edited by JohnnySL on 25 May 2016, 21:11)

Seems to be a day or two off, in the meantime adapting this to your needs might help.

hnyman wrote:
shm0 wrote:

But i cant get LEDE to compile with cake.

#define qdisc_tree_reduce_backlog(_a,_b,_c) qdisc_tree_decrease_qlen(_a,_b)

You need to patch cake for kernels 4.4+ and to use the quite newest cake version...
Check my wndr3700 build, the full source patches are available there...

You need to to create the directory "patches" for kmod-sched-cake package and place a patch file there:

EDIT: I added two files to my gist new patch and modified Makefile:
https://gist.github.com/hnyman/b35bf1e2 … lede-patch
https://gist.github.com/hnyman/b35bf1e2 … e-kernel44

(background discussion at https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake/issues/20 )

What is this cake you speak of? Is it a new scheduler? Mind linking me with the wiki or something THXS!

Sorry, posts 11601 to 11600 are missing from our archive.