OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Regarding hardware devices. OpenWrt has been supplied with a number of devices and as stated there is ongoing work to add support.

guitarman wrote:

@ NYT, I 've bricked my WRT1900AC so want to try the serial programming. Got the front cover off ok, but the serial connector is hiding under the plastic roof. Did you pull the board forward in your photo? If so, how did you do it? thanks smile

I just used something to prop it open there and then connected my jumpers.

Thx!

There is a NEW .img now. smile

Hope they get the driver for the Marvell 802.11ac wireless chipset problem fixed.

gufus

gufus wrote:

Thx!

There is a NEW .img now. smile

Hope they get the driver for the Marvell 802.11ac wireless chipset problem fixed.

gufus

Does everything else function with the new image? I can wait on AC support if so. I'm just looking for more robust QOS and VPN functionality

Don't know

I don't own a wrt1900ac, (not yet)

gufus

glp wrote:

Regarding hardware devices. OpenWrt has been supplied with a number of devices

Is transparency on *exactly* what level of support Belkin's supplied allowed?

(Last edited by jalyst on 26 Apr 2014, 06:08)

nyt wrote:
guitarman wrote:

@ NYT, I 've bricked my WRT1900AC so want to try the serial programming. Got the front cover off ok, but the serial connector is hiding under the plastic roof. Did you pull the board forward in your photo? If so, how did you do it? thanks smile

I just used something to prop it open there and then connected my jumpers.

Sorry NYC, just to confirm then, the two pieces of plastic top and bottom just pull apart? A screwdriver needed to do this as I guess there are clips holding top and bottom together. Thanks

I was worried about voiding warranty so I didn't split the grey piece apart fully, just popped open the side near the pins (there's a little clip by the edge) and stuck something in to hold it open while I hooked up to the header.  I'm probably going to keep it now that proper working source is released so I might end up splitting it apart further later.  If I do I'll post pics, but it doesn't seem to want to come apart easily.

nyt wrote:

I was worried about voiding warranty so I didn't split the grey piece apart fully, just popped open the side near the pins (there's a little clip by the edge) and stuck something in to hold it open while I hooked up to the header.  I'm probably going to keep it now that proper working source is released so I might end up splitting it apart further later.  If I do I'll post pics, but it doesn't seem to want to come apart easily.

I had flashed the first public build and it worked with no issues but then of course they released a new build and I just had to try it. Now I can't get the thing to boot or get into recovery... Any pointers?

(Last edited by rmriggin on 26 Apr 2014, 09:09)

rmriggin wrote:
nyt wrote:

I had flashed the first public build and it worked with no issues but then of course they released a new build and I just had to try it. Now I can't get the thing to boot or get into recovery... Any pointers?

serial console

Yippee! Managed to get coms through via the serial console. Is it possible to put the img on a flash stick plug into the back of router and install via console? Would save setting up a tftp server?

Would anyone be willing to post image's or video of popping this thing open.. Also did you make ur serial cables or buy them? I wanted to do the same which I'm sure I could figure out.. Just rather do with out damaging.. There's not a lot of documentation yet..

m33p wrote:

Would anyone be willing to post image's or video of popping this thing open.. Also did you make ur serial cables or buy them? I wanted to do the same which I'm sure I could figure out.. Just rather do with out damaging.. There's not a lot of documentation yet..

Hi m33p, No problem. See photo at link below to show how I unhooked the side clip to gain better access to the serial connector. I was going to use a screwdriver to do this but reverted to using a plastic utensil to prise apart (metal screwdriver will most defo leave a mark on the plastic which may affect your warranty!).

http://postimg.org/image/7cqbhqalb/

Follow NYT's guide's (a few posts above) with reference to the internal serial connection. I have a USB / Serial  TTL convertor in my tool box and used that for this purpose.

As a previous poster said, if you have already put the initial first build of Openwrt on this router and then go and program the newer "barrier breaker" through the web gui, it will BRICK the router. This happened to me today!!
Only way to correct this situation is to program the new firmware from the Serial console with a tftp server that hosts the img file as NYT mentioned.

I'm all good now:)

And a big thank-you to NYT for your guides in this thread smile

(Last edited by guitarman on 26 Apr 2014, 22:10)

guitarman wrote:

Yippee! Managed to get coms through via the serial console. Is it possible to put the img on a flash stick plug into the back of router and install via console? Would save setting up a tftp server?

You can copy off of USB.  run env print, look at the commands for flash_pri_image, translate to copying from usb instead of tftp.  ? will give you help.  It's easier to just use tftp.   I had a beaglebone I was working on (just wrote a ruby lib for it) on my desk, just slapped tftpd-hpa on it and served the firmware from there.  There are plenty of tftp servers available for any os, throw it on a laptop/pc, hook up to lan port on router, let it rip.

(Last edited by nyt on 26 Apr 2014, 22:04)

m33p wrote:

Had a usb ftdi cable.  Any ttl level serial device will work.

I think I'm going to dig through my electronics box and find the connector for the socket on the board and permanently wire it to a proper header then mount it on the case somewhere I can get to without taking it apart.  This thing likes to brick itself fairly easily at the moment and the recovery options are lackluster compared to other devices.  So much for the warranty wink

nyt wrote:

There are plenty of tftp servers available for any os, throw it on a laptop/pc, hook up to lan port on router, let it rip.

Thx for the tip smile

Hehe, even for your Android smartphone there is a TFTP server app avaliable.. :-)

written_direcon wrote:

Hehe, even for your Android smartphone there is a TFTP server app avaliable.. :-)

Vcool!

BTY, I was told it's not a good idea to flash via wireless.  I agree smile

gufus wrote:
written_direcon wrote:

Vcool!

BTY, I was told it's not a good idea to flash via wireless.  I agree smile

TFTP has checkums.  If you're flashing from console already, it's not like you have to worry about bricking it....

nyt wrote:
m33p wrote:

I am assuming v3.3 correct? not v5? or does that even matter? voltage should not be connected anyways...

(Last edited by m33p on 27 Apr 2014, 01:19)

m33p wrote:
nyt wrote:
m33p wrote:

I am assuming v3.3 correct? not v5? or does that even matter? voltage should not be connected anyways...

used 3v here

This is starting pick up some pace, starting to think I might dive in too.
If it wasn't a PITA to get the device where I am (Australia) I prolly would've by now!
Plus, so much other stuff to do & so little time... >.>

/end_digression

(Last edited by jalyst on 27 Apr 2014, 07:26)

nyt wrote:

I think I'm going to dig through my electronics box and find the connector for the socket on the board and permanently wire it to a proper header then mount it on the case somewhere I can get to without taking it apart.  This thing likes to brick itself fairly easily at the moment and the recovery options are lackluster compared to other devices.  So much for the warranty wink

A very good idea! It looks like a JST 2.54mm pcb connector. I am sure RS would sell it.  Could pass the 3 wires through the holes on the upper cover, there are a fair few holes to choose from.
BTW do you know the pin for 0v on this connector?

(Last edited by guitarman on 27 Apr 2014, 08:55)