OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

alirz wrote:

Thanks i will this a try.

np =]

@gufus,
Problem seems to be read access of any mounted folder on the WRT over wifi.

I have tried folders on the USB, i have also tried with /tmp.

Using both FTP and Samba,
I can read/write with a wired connection just fine to both.

However once I enable wifi and connect with wifi I can write from a PC to the Samba or FTP mount at nominal 10Mb/s
However When i read from it i can only get about 3.5k/s
(yet i can speedtest from the WAN connection at 70+ Mbps)

I have tried various of the most recent CC firmwares, Trunk, Kaloz etc.

Try as i might I cannot improve read access from the share on the device

(Last edited by drewgarth2 on 26 Mar 2015, 00:54)

I want to export a path for PYTHON. i can do that as a one time thing but the path gets lost after a reboot of the router.
How can i make the path survive a reboot?

i tried putting my export command in the startup section but that doesnt do it.

This is my command: export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/mnt/sda1/software/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

tangsoft wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

The new driver has been pushed to trunk, including the fix for iwinfo.

@Kaloz
Does Changeset 44948 mean to fix iwinfo showing wrongly my wrt1900ac 2.4GHz&5GHz speed bit rate?
With latest trunk image, the iwinfo output as before.

You will hardly get a sane value there, as different stations connect at different speeds.

tusc wrote:

@Kaloz,

are you planning to check in this patch? I'm at 1 day and 15 hours without issue which I never managed to achieve with previous 3.18 images.

If you confirm it still didn't lock up, I push it right away smile

Kaloz wrote:
tusc wrote:

@Kaloz,

are you planning to check in this patch? I'm at 1 day and 15 hours without issue which I never managed to achieve with previous 3.18 images.

I used to have lock up pretty often. Now, it's 2 days and 19 hours strong.

Kaloz wrote:
tusc wrote:

@Kaloz,

Still going strong!

root@wrt1900ac:~# uptime
07:59:13 up 2 days, 14:40,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

I flashed the March 24th trunk build as soon as it was available, was running VERY well for about 16hrs. Then it spontaneously rebooted a couple of times. Last night about 8pm, it rebooted and then got stuck rebooting, had to take it offline as it was stuck in a reboot cycle. Just wanted to send out a heads up.

Built an image from trunk 2 days ago and have not had the chronic issues I've seen previously. Apple devices are working fine. In addition, under McWRT I had issues with large transfers through the device-- both wired and wifi-- consistently staled out around the 3-4MB mark-- and that was tested from non-Apple devices just to verify. I've never had issues with reboots but did have issues with CPU stalls-- but have not seen that yet either. Note currently only testing 5Ghz.

Note too, my image is pretty hefty-- running bind, postfix, lighttpd, netatalk, avahi, qos (all in the image, not packages and plus the "normal" stuff such as dropbear, dnsmasq, luci, ntp, etc) with an attached 4TB USB drive acting as a TimeMachine.

Correction-- forgot to mention but I do have one issue that I haven't been able to track down.. ssh'ing in over wifi and 3 seconds (always about 3 seconds) and I get latency... it's pretty consistent but then will often go away after some people of time. I've also seen some latency is browsing but it's not consistent and haven't been able to determine if it's possibly the same issue.

(Last edited by jklap on 26 Mar 2015, 15:37)

Hi All,

I'm not a developer and dont know much about that building images from trunk. I was wondering if someone would be able to build me an image with some requested packages?
Currently after flashing Kaloz's snapshot i have to install a whole bunch of other stuff using opkg one by one. Would it be too much trouble for someone to help me out and making a custom image for me?

alirz wrote:

Hi All,

I'm not a developer and dont know much about that building images from trunk. I was wondering if someone would be able to build me an image with some requested packages?
Currently after flashing Kaloz's snapshot i have to install a whole bunch of other stuff using opkg one by one. Would it be too much trouble for someone to help me out and making a custom image for me?

if you are continually having to install multiple packages using opkg please read: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28350

it describes reading all the packages to install from a txt file you could also simply put spaces between each package you want to install

opkg install luci-ssl nano screen mc
jmschu02 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Hi All,

if you are continually having to install multiple packages using opkg please read: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28350

it describes reading all the packages to install from a txt file you could also simply put spaces between each package you want to install

opkg install luci-ssl nano screen mc

Thanks i know that. I would still prefer to know if its easy for someone to compile an image for me.

@alirz

Name the packages you want to be included and the kernel version and I will build an image for you tomorrow. I am now running a firmware images based on kernel 4.0-rc5 which enhances the speed in NAT (from~ 300 Mbps in rc4 to ~550 Mbps). The downfall to using latest kernel available is that no kernel-mode packages from current trunk will install cleanly (and possibly usermode ones too) .

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 26 Mar 2015, 18:13)

nitroshift wrote:

@alirz

Name the packages you want to be included and the kernel version and I will build an image for you tomorrow. I am now running a firmware images based on kernel 4.0-rc5 which enhances the speed in NAT (from~ 300 Mbps in rc4 to ~550 Mbps). The downfall to using latest kernel available is that no kernel-mode packages from current trunk will install cleanly (and possibly usermode ones too) .

nitroshift

@nitroshift.

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to keep the same kernel that is in Kaloz's latest build
i.e 3.18.9 . I want to make sure pakcage compatiblity is not broken with the newer kernel.
I believe when you include a package, all dependencies get included automatically?

Will the image still have the standard packages it comes with like in the Kaloz's snapshot? I can provide that full list also if needed to build images. As i would like to keep those plus the following

Packages:
luci-theme-openwrt
block-mount
python-setuptools
python-pip
ip  (ip_3.19.0-1_mvebu.ipk)
openssh-sftp-server
postfix
tcpdump

P.S  To ALL,  any reason why so much space is reserved for /tmp and only 25MB for / ?

(Last edited by alirz on 26 Mar 2015, 19:04)

alirz wrote:

@nitroshift.

[...]
I believe when you include a package, all dependencies get included automatically?

That is correct. Also, please tell me ALL packages you want to be included in the image.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 26 Mar 2015, 19:14)

Ugh, trying to build new trunk with kaloz's fixes but the new procd jail stuff horked it.  Think an ifdef or something is missing since its trying to build the jail stuff even though its  not selectable due to architecture.  Reverting the procd change (9d929d403aba5694c4a10d7c9ab6419dc33ce23b) in packages and building again..

(Last edited by nyt on 26 Mar 2015, 19:30)

tusc wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
tusc wrote:

@Kaloz,

Still going strong!

root@wrt1900ac:~# uptime
07:59:13 up 2 days, 14:40,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

It's in trunk now smile

@Kaloz,

I have been running r44972 since yesterday morning. 

It hung within 3 hours of sysupgrade, but has been solid since the power cycle.

Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r44972 / LuCI (git-15.079.29361-3e37216) 
Kernel Version 3.18.9
Local Time Thu Mar 26 16:06:12 2015
Uptime 1d 2h 17m 6s
Load Average 0.08, 0.04, 0.07

Looking forward to upgrading to tomorrows build smile

Cheers

*Bump.
Does anyone have Samba or wifi sharing files/media off either USB?, or one of the WRT file system mounts over WIFI?...
I dont want to nag, but i'm just surprised that given what I am trying to do is such a standard use that someone cant tell me definitively that they either have this working with acceptable performance, or  definitively that it doesnt work given the current drivers and OS.

drewgarth2 wrote:

@gufus,
Problem seems to be read access of any mounted folder on the WRT over wifi.

I have tried folders on the USB, i have also tried with /tmp.

Using both FTP and Samba,
I can read/write with a wired connection just fine to both.

However once I enable wifi and connect with wifi I can write from a PC to the Samba or FTP mount at nominal 10Mb/s
However When i read from it i can only get about 3.5k/s
(yet i can speedtest from the WAN connection at 70+ Mbps)

I have tried various of the most recent CC firmwares, Trunk, Kaloz etc.

Try as i might I cannot improve read access from the share on the device

What build was the new driver put in?  Doesn't matter really.  I have noticed performance-wise a noticeable improvement since r44972.  I just upgraded to r44974 and it's humming along too.  Good job.  With my config, I am using the Linksys in a bridge configuration with my primary router.  But, if we can get some connection stability, I may change my arrangement. -- Once I can get my USB drive, printer, and setup parental time restrictions, and can leave the router on for longer than 24hrs without thinking that we may get another update that makes things better...  you know what I am saying. smile

Anyways, things are improving.  Thanks for your efforts.

Not sure if this helps but I was following the ddwrt forums and Kong had mentioned why openwrt was having issues doing wireless bridge with the new drivers:

Unixworld:
With neither or those was I able to make this router a "wireless bridge" to my main EA6700 (DD-WRT 26490).
Could be entirely my fault, though, as I'm fairly "mainstream" in networking.

Kong:
This is because they forgot to update the dts, since the new driver grabs these things from dts, see mwl_main.c

Source:
www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=256298&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=390

nyt wrote:

Ugh, trying to build new trunk with kaloz's fixes but the new procd jail stuff horked it.  Think an ifdef or something is missing since its trying to build the jail stuff even though its  not selectable due to architecture.  Reverting the procd change (9d929d403aba5694c4a10d7c9ab6419dc33ce23b) in packages and building again..

Thanks for the heads up about this.

I note the most recent buildbot failed on packages.

I think all Kaloz's fixed are pushed to trunk anyway now?
(Happy to be corrected.)

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 27 Mar 2015, 01:26)

ShawnG1972 wrote:

What build was the new driver put in?  Doesn't matter really.  I have noticed performance-wise a noticeable improvement since r44972.  I just upgraded to r44974 and it's humming along too.  Good job.  With my config, I am using the Linksys in a bridge configuration with my primary router.  But, if we can get some connection stability, I may change my arrangement. -- Once I can get my USB drive, printer, and setup parental time restrictions, and can leave the router on for longer than 24hrs without thinking that we may get another update that makes things better...  you know what I am saying. smile

Anyways, things are improving.  Thanks for your efforts.

r44950

Gazoo wrote:

Not sure if this helps but I was following the ddwrt forums and Kong had mentioned why openwrt was having issues doing wireless bridge with the new drivers:

Unixworld:
With neither or those was I able to make this router a "wireless bridge" to my main EA6700 (DD-WRT 26490).
Could be entirely my fault, though, as I'm fairly "mainstream" in networking.

Kong:
This is because they forgot to update the dts, since the new driver grabs these things from dts, see mwl_main.c

Source:
www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=256298&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=390

DTS revision was done (to trunk) just before the new driver was committed (to trunk).

@Kaloz - can you confirm that things should be OK with DTS now?

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 27 Mar 2015, 01:25)

Hi all,

I have followed this thread since the beginning and things now look stable/developed enough that I thought it time to have a go building some images and playing around with my 1900AC and OpenWRT.  Nice work everyone getting it to this point.

First thing I did was install trunk over stock firmware.  All worked fine.  Great.  OpenWRT is go.

Next I built a minimal image myself and installed that via Luci interface.  Installed fine but there was no WAN access.  The WRT1900AC would obtain an IP address via DHCP (so network connectivity out WAN was successful) but there was no way to access external or local IP addresses from the router itself or from a computer connected to LAN ports.  Fail.  Hmmm.

Back to the trunk buildbot image and WAN working fine again.

Built a new image using the config file from https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … u/generic/ figuring I would get the same working image and go from there, but no.  The image built fine but once installed there was no WAN access again (other than successful DHCP lease obtained).  *sigh*

This is all with default setup - no firewall rules or anything introduced.

I'm hoping that someone out there has already run into and overcome this problem.  Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

CV

Sorry, posts 3826 to 3825 are missing from our archive.