OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Mikrotik RB411AR - disabling console

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi

I have written a package that takes the data presented to the built in serial port on these boards and then broadcasts it to the LAN and/or act as a server allowing clients to connect via TCP and send them the data. This is to allow for the sending of marine NMEA data to wireless clients.

This works well but there is just one element I could do with fixing but cannot see how. I have disabled logging in via the serial port by amending the inittab file but during the boot up process and before my package has started the data that may be arriving at the serial port is trying to be executed as commands.

How do I build an image such that though it will recognise that /dev/ttyS0 exists it will not try to use it as a console?

I hope the above makes sense!

Gary

Hi

Yes, a little. I had already read that post but could not see the answer to my question. I tried make kernel_menuconfig but could not see any options relating to the onboard serial port.

One user said:

If you want to free the serial port completely, you must modify the kernel command line and recompile the firmware

but did not go on to elaborate how one would modify the kernel command line. Can anyone give me a pointer as to how this is achieved?

The discussion might have continued from here.