OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Nodogsplash - Repeater or 2nd Router to enlarge WIFI Coverage

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I have some problems with Nodogsplash. With just one Router it is the perfect simple and straight forward hotspot/portal solution.

I however need to cover an area that requires more than one router.

As soon as I connect a second router with identical setup or a repeater to the network, the users have to reauthenticate at the nodogsplash splash page.

Question:

Where does nodogsplash save the MAC Adresses that will be written into the firewall? is there a way to access this information?

Is there a way tell the second router that the user has already been authenticated at the first router?

Is there any chance to use a repeater without having the user to reauthenticate ?

Thank you for any clue or help.

Best regards,

>Where does nodogsplash save the MAC Adresses that will be written into the firewall? is there a way to access this information?
It is stored in RAM and lost when the program finishes. The list can be populated from the TrustedMACList setting on startup.
But this probably does not help much.

>Is there a way tell the second router that the user has already been authenticated at the first router?
Your best shot is  a central database for that. WifiDog may fit your needs here.

>Is there any chance to use a repeater without having the user to reauthenticate ?
You can probably use a repeater to cover a bigger area.

If you use one Internet connection for multiple routers you could place one NoDogSplash instance there
instead of on every router.

I hope this helps. :-)

Thank you for your reply.

If I understand correctly, we need to use wifidog in order to manage the authentication. With nodogsplash alone, each router will always work independently and not allow my users to "roam" from one router to the news, without beeing kicked out and having to reauthenticate.

Or is there is way to read out the authorized mac addresses from the ram, so I can work with them in my database and may populate a temporary white list?

Is this will not be possible and I have to use wifidog, how do I get it to work. The research I have just done, shows that is is quite an older project. At the moment we are running openwrt attitude adjustment 12.09 on the routers, and I am quite happy with the setup. Is there a way to install it on this version? If so, how ;-)

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards.

The discussion might have continued from here.