OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Compiled Firmware for Netgear WNDR4300

The content of this topic has been archived between 17 Apr 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

If by that post you're meaning do settings stay after a reboot or power failure, then yes, settings are kept.

Hi,
nice image. Great work. Thanks.

Could you please publish the .config file you use ?
I try to build my own image from trunk with make defconfig with the following setting:
- CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx=y
- CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_nand=y
- CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_nand_WNDR4300=y
- CONFIG_DEVEL=y
- CONFIG_BROKEN=y
but I get problems with wifi:
- LuCI is not offering all the possible settings
- any changes away from default to 5 G will not start the 5 G wifi

[edit 2]
I played around and found out, that LuCi wireless settings need package: "libiwinfo-lua" to fully function.
there seems to be a missing dependency somewhere.

In addition I found out, if there is a cable connected to the internet port or not the LED is always on (green).
The LuCI switch section shows "not connected" if not connected

[edit 1]
Also pivot-overlay as discribed at http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot did not start.
/dev/mtdblock13 is always mounted to /overlay
I did not test pivot-root

thanks
Christian

(Last edited by chris5560 on 20 Apr 2014, 21:45)

AdamK wrote:

I actually blocked an IP address from the Norway area last night; seems they decided that downloading the entire repository of images was a good idea.

Please do not waste my bandwidth folks, if there's an image on there you can use great, help yourself, but don't download the whole directory just because it is something to download.

Well, we did check your README-FIRST.txt and it said nothing about that, so if that's an issue for
you, it would probably be a good idea to include something about that.

For some of us that has a _bunch_ of router-models and versions it is usually a cool thing to check
out somebody's build for the different versions.

For me ~ 90 different firmware build (691MB)s isn't  like pulling down a bunch of DVD-iso's from a site, so I
didn't really think too much about it, especially using wget with a limit...

chris5560 wrote:

Could you please publish the .config file you use ?

I can do that, will post the config up on the website where I post the firmware images.

chris5560 wrote:

but I get problems with wifi:
- LuCI is not offering all the possible settings

[edit 2]
I played around and found out, that LuCi wireless settings need package: "libiwinfo-lua" to fully function.

In addition I found out, if there is a cable connected to the internet port or not the LED is always on (green).
The LuCI switch section shows "not connected" if not connected

Yes I believe it is a bug somewhere.  After flashing the router with OpenWRT you should fully power cycle the router.  Then both wifi interfaces work as intended.

I'll add in the package you suggest and build a fresh image in the next few days.

EDIT:  Seems after checking the config file that the suggested libiwinfo-lua package is already selected to be built and included.  So I am thinking that a fresh image may not help a lot....

(Last edited by AdamK on 21 Apr 2014, 00:01)

huldunet wrote:

For me ~ 90 different firmware build (691MB)s isn't  like pulling down a bunch of DVD-iso's from a site, so I

Your timing was perhaps unfortunate.  And having 90 different routers...well that's also rare, the only people I know who have such a range of routers own computer stores and not one of them deviate from the manufacturers firmwares.  I had only opened up allowing people to do a directory listing a day or 2 prior, as the list of routers would mean an awful lot of typing when posting in another thread on here.  So to see a download of the entire list of firmwares soon after doing this was a red flag.

I'll update the readme file and remove the block on your IP.

AdamK wrote:
huldunet wrote:

Your timing was perhaps unfortunate.  And having 90 different routers...well that's also rare, the only people I know who have such a range of routers own computer stores and not one of them deviate from the manufacturers firmwares.  I had only opened up allowing people to do a directory listing a day or 2 prior, as the list of routers would mean an awful lot of typing when posting in another thread on here.  So to see a download of the entire list of firmwares soon after doing this was a red flag.

Not 90 different routers, problably ~ 40-ish. The ~ 90 was the firmwares, some "from-factory"
and some "sysupgrade", which then isn't so many ;-)
(I haven't counted the firmware's, just took the numbers from wc -l  , and the routers I'd prefer
not to count ;-)

We do stuff with both Tomato, TomatoUSB, OpenWRT, CeroWRT and others.
At the moment we have close to 1800 positive feedback on fleeBay, all as buyers, not
to mention all the stuff that are bought brand new. And then we have the thrift-store's... ;-)

I've been meaning to offer compile-shell on some nice XEON-server, but haven't
gotten that far yet...

AdamK wrote:

I'll update the readme file and remove the block on your IP.

Hey Adam,

i have flashed with your compiled firmware, running good...

but i will flash the original image, but over the webinterface, openwrt doesn't accept the original image with a error -> The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

chris5560 wrote:

For me, the 5G interface (radio1/phy1/wlan1) does start, but it is not visible to my Galaxy S4, which works OK with two other boxes that support 5GHz. I fiddled quite a bit with the settings, even went back to 802.11a and disabled 2.4 GHz, but no dice. Yes, I powercycled the WNDR4300. After each change to the wireless config. For entertainment, I'm currently compiling an even more recent trunk (r40535). With little hope that will fix the 5 GHz problem.

Any ideas?

chris5560 wrote:

AdamK's current image does have libiwinfo-lua. Are you sure you looked at the right image?

lupe wrote:

For me, the 5G interface (radio1/phy1/wlan1) does start, but it is not visible to my Galaxy S4, which works OK with two other boxes that support 5GHz. I fiddled quite a bit with the settings, even went back to 802.11a and disabled 2.4 GHz, but no dice. Yes, I powercycled the WNDR4300. After each change to the wireless config. For entertainment, I'm currently compiling an even more recent trunk (r40535). With little hope that will fix the 5 GHz problem.

Any ideas?

After some trouble installing a Netgear image (box needs a power-cycle after flashing it), I tested with that image, and behold! 5 GHz isn't working either. So it's genuinely broken. Not fault of OpenWRT.

DerMatze wrote:

but i will flash the original image, but over the webinterface, openwrt doesn't accept the original image with a error -> The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

That's correct the images are purely factory images only there are no sysupgrade images available to be built.  It is being worked on by OpenWRT devs but is not yet available for us.

When upgrading, you'll need to either revert to the Netgear/stock firmware then flash or TFTP the image.
I'd advise you to save your OpenWRT settings before flashing the upgrade as they will be lost.

I've put up Barrier Breaker revision 40540 on the site.

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … er-r40540/

With this build I have included the UBI features, which hopefully will lead us towards eventually getting sysupgrade images smile

For the generic images, these are precisely the same as what I have built for the WNDR3700v4 & WNDR4300, just without the UBI tools.

Hey,

i'm back here smile

there are new compiled firmwares available?

i use currently the custom firmware, and all links in this thread are down sad

Hi there, I've been very ill of late so there's been no updates until now smile

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … er-r43274/

There are images and packages there for the Netgear WNDR4300 & WNDR3700v4, as well as some of the TP-Link models in the generic builds -- WDR3500, WDR3600 WDR4300 & WDR4310

They are all tested as working OK.  Note that this & future WNDR4300/WNDR3700v4 builds have sysupgrade support built into them.

These images have preinstalled:
*  IPv6 native & tunnel support
*  MWAN3 for load balancing
*  OpenConnect VPN Server & Client (WNDR4300/WNDR3700v4 images only)
*  SNMP
*  Various drivers & support for 3G/LTE USB dongles including sierra-directip
*  Support for USB storage with FAT32 & NTFS support (WNDR models also have ext4)

(Last edited by AdamK on 18 Nov 2014, 22:45)

Hey Adam,

then i use the "openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img"-image, then i get follow error

"This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product. "

Hey I just got the wndr4300. Oddly I get slow wired speed while my WiFi is like almost double the speed. Anyone know the problem with stock firmware?

Anyway, I want to install openwrt or similar smile anyone could tell how stable it is now?  and if I see that correct I just can upload the img file from openwrt to the webinterfsce of the netgear?

Hey DerMatz,

If you already have OpenWRT installed from before the developers rolled out sysupgrade support, you'll need to do the TFTP upgrade, then any future releases can be done via the sysupgrade facility in the LuCI interface.

AdamK, I registered just to say thank you for working on the WNDR4300. I hope your health is okay and best wishes from Michigan!

(Last edited by cybrnook2002 on 12 Dec 2014, 03:40)

Hello,

is there a newer and compiled Version of OpenWRT available, i used at the moment "OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r43274"

I do have newer versions but am trying to iron out bugs especially with the ipv6 part.
Seems odhcpd is not playing nicely with native ipv6....

The discussion might have continued from here.