OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: BCM53572 / Linksys E900 Wireless driver

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a Linksys E900 and flashed it with the openwrt-e900_v1-squashfs.bin , it's mainly working but it doesn't have any wireless capabilities.  I've been looking all over and trying to figure out what to install.  In my /etc/config file, I don't have a wireless file, so it apparently didn't detect the BCM53572.  I have LuCI installed and of course there's no reference to the wireless.

In my /etc/modules.d directory, I have 19-bgmac , as well as b43 and b43legacy.  I thought the bgmac driver would be the one that would work, but obviously it isn't.  I've tried restarting but that's pretty much the only thing I know how to do.

Please help!  Thanks in advance!

About bgmac: try Googling for "bgmac" (with quotes) and open the first result:
https://lwn.net/Articles/531856/
Wasn't too hard to find out what bgmac is, was it?

BCM5357 uses radio chipset 2057, which makes it unsupported by b43 and brcmsmac.

Zajec - Thank you so much for helping out with this!  I think I need just a little bit more information, though. 

How do I make sure that it is loading the bgmac driver instead of the others?  And how do I get it to generate the wireless configuration file - that is, load the wireless driver and make it work?

Looking in the /etc/modules.d directory, it appears that bgmac is loaded, but I'm only guessing that based on the fact that it has a number next to it (is this where it is in the boot sequence?)

I'm concerned that if I use opkg to remove b43, b43legacy, and bgmac I will soft-brick the router.  So here is what I'm thinking about doing:

Remove all 3 (b43, b43legacy, and bgmac)
Install bgmac
Reboot

Do you think that will work?  If not, what should I do?

Thanks again in advance!  I really appreciate the help.

PS - I removed b43 and b43legacy, also b44.  My /etc/modules-boot.d now shows:

17-pps
18-ptp
19-bgmac
20-tg3
30-gpio-button-hotplug
60-leds-gpio

I manually changed 19-tg3 to 20-tg3 to see if I could get bgmac to load first.  So I'm pretty confident that I have the right driver in place, but how do I get it to detect and configure the wireless now?

(Last edited by emfitzgibbon on 28 Jan 2014, 17:07)

emfitzgibbon wrote:

How do I make sure that it is loading the bgmac driver instead of the others?

If you insist, you can check output of "lsmod".

emfitzgibbon wrote:

And how do I get it to generate the wireless configuration file - that is, load the wireless driver and make it work?

Read my post above again. Read carefully what I wrote about BCM5357, radio and b43.

bgmac is a wired interface driver, not a wireless driver.  b43 is a wireless driver that doesn't support the radio on this router.  Am I on track so far?

So I know that Tomato and dd-wrt support this router, but I've had mixed results with dd-wrt and I'm not ready to give up and try Tomato just yet.

How do I figure out what driver they are using?  Or do you happen to know?  I've been asking Google but I'm sure I'm not asking the right question (or I would have the right answer by now).  Thank you sensei.

emfitzgibbon wrote:

bgmac is a wired interface driver, not a wireless driver.  b43 is a wireless driver that doesn't support the radio on this router.  Am I on track so far?

Exactly!!!

emfitzgibbon wrote:

So I know that Tomato and dd-wrt support this router, but I've had mixed results with dd-wrt and I'm not ready to give up and try Tomato just yet.

How do I figure out what driver they are using?  Or do you happen to know?

For WiFi they use closed source driver. They can use for their firmware (kernel) because they signed some NDA to get the sources (but ofc they don't release the sources).

It seems like its supported shown here; http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/soc
or am I wrong. Is there a way to import the drivers so my E800/E900 works?

FYI, the latest dd-wrt k3.x works on E900, is it using the newest b43 drivers?

(Last edited by komawoyo on 26 Jul 2014, 16:35)

I tried making an image using the imagegenerator with "PROFILE=Broadcom-wl" still doesn't work. As a results, I'm flashing dd-wrt K3.x, works like a charm Lol.

The discussion might have continued from here.