OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-wr941ND v3.8

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I had successfully installed DD-WRT build, factory-to-ddwrt from the Router Databse page of DD-WRT.com, it didn't have the OpenVPN option. I successfully flashed back to stock TP-link firmware, TL-WR941ND_V2_V3_120201, from the TP-Link website. Tried to flash OpenWRT, openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr941nd-v3-squashfs-factory, the install hung for over an hour.

Now I cannot reach the router gui on 192.168.1.1. I read a forum post to ping the router and check the ttl return, it is ttl-64. So I understand this to mean that the router isn't bricked, I just cannot get into it. I placed the router into failsafe mode, quick flashing sys led, but I am not sure on the whole telnet thing and using it to fix the router.

I can telnet into the router when it's not in failsafe mode, but not when it is in failsafe. In failsafe it gives me a different ip address and is unaccessible.

Could someone plese give me a post to read or let me know what I need to do?

in failsafe you need to set a static ip of 192.168.1.x to your pc!

if you can telnet means it's not bricked, but you installed a trunk snapshot that does not include GUI.

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 7 Jan 2014, 09:47)

Ok, I understand. How do I fix it?

Hi,

Check if the following post applies to you :
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=45633

Attitude Adjustment on my WR941ND v3 was not working.
When something was connected to a LAN or WAN port, it was going in a infinite loop at boot.
Powering it on with nothing connected, waiting for the SYS LED to become ON (not blinking) and then connected Ethernet it was ok.

Using images from trunk it was running ok but those images don't include LUCI.
I compiled my own image with LUCI, sudo and some other stuff I need, and now it runs great!

If you don't want to install the whole development environment, I can compile an image for you.

Yan.
---
http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/

I'm another "victim" of Attitude Adjustment. I though that stable used to mean... stable! ha!

So... anybody can send me an image for the WR941ND with Luci on it. I don't know if I should use trunk or not. I don't know how "stable" it is.

Thanks!

So I took a chance and installed latest trunk (sysupgrade to r40652) and installed Luci over telnet. And now the router boots fine.

I hope this build is stable enought.

Thanks everyone!

Gonzakpo wrote:

So I took a chance and installed latest trunk (sysupgrade to r40652) and installed Luci over telnet. And now the router boots fine.

Thanks everyone!

Glad you found the solution.
Tell me if you need a firmware with Luci in it. The 941ND flash is tight...

Yan.

xv4y wrote:
Gonzakpo wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Glad you found the solution.
Tell me if you need a firmware with Luci in it. The 941ND flash is tight...

Yan.

Yes. I did notice that. I'm not planning to install anything else apart from Luci (at least for now). But in the software section of Luci it says that the free space for packages is "108.00 KB". I think it too little... right? Can this make the router unstable? Or should I not worry about that?

Maybe I should have made a new image with Image Builder (documented on Wiki). But I'm kind of a newbie and didn't want to risk the router.

(Last edited by Gonzakpo on 2 May 2014, 15:39)

it's not too little if you won't need any other package wink

nebbia88 wrote:

it's not too little if you won't need any other package wink

Well thanks! I'll report back if I have any problems.

Well. That was quick. The router hanged after almost four hours of uptime. My PC could not connect to the Wifi.

System log is constantly showing this:
Fri May  2 15:48:23 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1006.650000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:23 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1006.660000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:25 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1008.840000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:26 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1009.520000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:26 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1009.520000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:26 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1009.530000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:28 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1012.150000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:30 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1013.480000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:30 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1013.640000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:30 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1013.700000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:30 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1013.840000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:30 2014 kern.crit kernel: [ 1013.880000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Fri May  2 15:48:31 2014 kern.warn kernel: [ 1014.590000] net_ratelimit: 14 callbacks suppressed

I googled this strings and I've found it's an unsolved problem of this router (WR941 v3).

One user on this forum claimed that installing r39408 instead of trunk solved this issue. Does anyone is willing to compile that version for me? I don't want to install the whole development enviroment.

So far I'm a bit dissapointed with OpenWrt. Not as stable as I thought sad

The bug is already known but it was not resolved: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/14202

(Last edited by Gonzakpo on 2 May 2014, 19:53)

Gonzakpo wrote:

So far I'm a bit dissapointed with OpenWrt. Not as stable as I thought sad

The bug is already known but it was not resolved: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/14202

Well I have the same bug (did not have time to compile a new release but will do soon) and it does not make my router unstable.
Only had to restart the router once after the WiFi stopped responding, but I don't think it was related to this.

Yan.

Well. My router was really unstable. I had to reset it every 1 hour. Wifi would not connect.

So I decided to return to the original firmware following the procedure from the wiki (mtd flashing).

Now my router does not work anymore. It boots, wifi connects and dhcp works. But I don't have any connectivity and I can't access the administration webpage. It tries to load the page, but reeeeeeeeeaallly slow and it never finishes (I can see the html structure of the page, but it does not finish loading).

For now I will buy another router because I need it. But next I will try to flash it using other technices IF POSSIBLE (I didn't look it up yet).

Anyway, OpenWrt is a gamble. My router was a little unstable with the original firmware and I though OpenWrt would make it rock stable. But It made it a lot worse.

I had previously flashed another device (WA901) and it worked incredibly fine (MUCH better than stock which was reeeeallly unstable).

So... OpenWrt is a gamble. The word "stable" means nothing for me anymore haha.

clean cache and cookies usually to solve web gui problem..

nebbia88 wrote:

clean cache and cookies usually to solve web gui problem..

Thanks. But that didn't work.

Newest attitude adjustment seems to be working fine, but the wifi is not able to sustain perfect throughput throughout a speed test (my DIR-605L that I use as an simple access point can). I am the only one using wireless routers where I live and I tried switching both channels. Same behaviour. On newest trunk wasn't able to turn the wifi on and the protocol problem still exists.
I will test it further if I spot any instability with AA.

EDIT:

After doing 15-20 tests using iperf and a computer connected through cable the performance goes down to 1Mbps or less. I guess the driver is not going to higher rates after some usage.
Average performance was 10Mbps with direct line of sight, 10 meters and max power.
The D-Link one can do 38Mbps with a concrete wall in between, 50% of the power and 10m between my computer. Clearly something is not working right...

(Last edited by lagonauta on 10 May 2014, 01:29)

I managed to workaround this problem by forcing the router to work at 802.11g speeds.
The average speed went from 10Mbps to 17Mbps and the network is far more stable.
This will have to do before the developers find what the problem is.

Tried it now, but no change. Speeds still unstable with N, but perfect with G.
I don't know if my WiFi stops working with ani enabled as I always turn it off before sleeping.

Hello, forgive for my English.
I use TP-Link TL-WR941ND v3.6 with "OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r40982/LuCI Trunk (svn-r10375)"
At me in the system log too
"Thu Jul 24 21:59:53 2014 kern.crit kernel: [526314.910000] protocol 001c is buggy, dev eth0
Thu Jul 24 21:59:58 2014 kern.warn kernel: [526319.640000] net_ratelimit: 6 callbacks suppressed"
As a whole the router perfectly works. But sometimes it is impossible to be connected on wi-fi. If by means of Luci through web to press the scan button in the section "network" - "wi-fi", again it is possible to be connected to it on wi-fi. Therefore I on crond forced to execute at 4:00 command "/usr/sbin/iw dev wlan0 scan". Uptime is small, 5 days, wi-fi is available always.

Just tested the latest original firmware (from 2012). Averaged 40Mbps over Wireless N, and the connection was stable.
I wonder what the problem with the driver is... The QoS used by OpenWRT is far better, and the IPv6 support is a must.

EDIT:
Just tested the newest trunk (r43056). Now the performance is almost like OF and there are no errors in the log, great work developers!

(Last edited by lagonauta on 25 Oct 2014, 21:23)

Hello,
I'm new using OpenWrt and have TLWR941v3 and would like to install LuCi but cannot do it from command line (opkg) because of the little free space. I'm trying to generate an image with ImageBulder but don't know what packages to include.

Could some one help me showing the package list to include/exclude so I can generate the image.

I write a post here with some extra information here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 68#p262168

thanks

(Last edited by mscalone on 20 Jan 2015, 14:40)

The discussion might have continued from here.