OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: how to set the name of the wlan interface

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi,

using the "Attitude Adjustment" branch, the following /etc/config/wireless gives me two interface called radio0_public and radio0_mesh.
But the same config gives me two interfaces wlan0 an wlan0-1 when using OpenWrt trunk.
Any ideas what went wrong?

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option ifname 'radio0_mesh'
        option mode 'adhoc'
        option ssid 'mesh_v14'
        option bssid '12:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE'
        option hidden '1'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option ifname 'radio0_public'
        option mode 'ap'
        option network 'public'
        option ssid 'my_public_net'
        option encryption 'none'

config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  11
        option hwmode   11ng
        option path     'platform/ath9k'
        option htmode   HT20
        list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
        list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40

What hardware are you using?

I ran into this issue as well. I assumed it was a hardware limitation, but perhaps it's in the software. There is no documentation that I can find describing the ifname option for the wifi-iface section of /etc/config/wireless, so this might be a totally unsupported feature.

I am able to set wifi-iface ifname on a ar71xx using a late-november openwrt build. But using a build from early-december on a bcm47xx ignores the ifname option.

Our combined experience suggests something broke in the last week... but then that's the nature of running trunk. The bigger issue for me is that the entire wifi config section (especially the wifi status) of LuCI has been broken on my ar71xx boxes since earlier this week. Hopefully this will get ironed out soon. Meanwhile try a late-november build.

Specifying wifi ifnames has been broken in trunk after the netifd rework, it should be fixed since yesterday.

The discussion might have continued from here.