OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-Link WDR 4300 v1.6 Network problems!!!!

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I have the same issue.

Packet loss on the LAN interfaces. I tried AA and BB, stable and trunk. HW Version 1.3 and 1.6

Any idea how to fix this? To be clear: It only affects traffic through the switch (LAN Ports).

cheers!

I also have the same issue on AA and BB trunk on HW v1.6  even in the latest versions: Huge packet loss on LAN interfaces rendering the device practically unusable for me on OpenWRT. Had to revert back to stock firmware to get everything back to normal again.

The LAN ports in LuCi get switched off all the time so one could assume there is something wrong with the atheros switch drivers in some specific board versions.
Maybe this deserves a bug ticket ?

Cheers!

From my view this is worth a bug report. I can easily reproduce this on 2 different Hardware revisions. And it really sucks. During video calls I have a freeze every 30-40 seconds. It makes the thing unsueable in my view.

If I can contribute what ever it needs to analyse this issue.

Would you open a bug report and send me the link?

GroteBozewolf wrote:

Interesting. So the only way to disable this, to do a custom build?

Seems like it - I gave it a shot and did a custom build for my WDR4300 v1.6 today with source pulled from trunk, applied the patch mentioned in the post above (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing) to disable EEE on the wan port and so far everything seems to be finally working the way it should ! (Can't lose the smile on my face - finally running OpenWRT without bigger issues ! ;-)

I put up my custom build images Barrier Breaker build revision r41549 incl. LuCI & disabled EEE (only on the WAN port!) here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … 1JTkE#list (WDR3500, WDR3600, WDR4300(il),WDR4310)

Also, it seems as if the EEE feature only fails when connected to certain other devices (e.g. Technicolor 7200). Maybe this is why not everyone is experiencing this problem on these routers with OpenWRT.

Cheers

(Last edited by sebalt on 8 Jul 2014, 15:39)

sebalt wrote:
GroteBozewolf wrote:

Seems like it - I gave it a shot and did a custom build for my WDR4300 v1.6 today with source pulled from trunk, applied the patch mentioned in the post above (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing) to disable EEE on the wan port and so far everything seems to be finally working the way it should ! (Can't lose the smile on my face - finally running OpenWRT without bigger issues ! ;-)

I put up my custom build images Barrier Breaker build revision r41549 incl. LuCI & disabled EEE (only on the WAN port!) here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … 1JTkE#list (WDR3500, WDR3600, WDR4300(il),WDR4310)

Also, it seems as if the EEE feature only fails when connected to certain other devices (e.g. Technicolor 7200). Maybe this is why not everyone is experiencing this problem on these routers with OpenWRT.

Cheers

OMG this is very nice. So I can flash any of these:

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

onto my TP-Link WDR4300 v1.7? Because I have this issue while connecting with my Ziggo UBEE cable modem.

GroteBozewolf wrote:
sebalt wrote:
GroteBozewolf wrote:

Cheers

onto my TP-Link WDR4300 v1.7? Because I have this issue while connecting with my Ziggo UBEE cable modem.

Yes, exactly. You should be able to flash them according to the Wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … stallation) provided that you stick to the warning and only flash the factory (and NOT the sysupgrade) image out of the original TP-Link firmware. Please confirm if the images also solve the problem for you - Feedback is much appreciated wink

(Last edited by sebalt on 8 Jul 2014, 23:43)

sebalt wrote:
GroteBozewolf wrote:
sebalt wrote:

Cheers

Yes, exactly. You should be able to flash them according to the Wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … stallation) provided that you stick to the warning and only flash the factory (and NOT the sysupgrade) image out of the original TP-Link firmware. Please confirm if the images also solve the problem for you - Feedback is much appreciated wink

I am a bit occupied tonight (it's NED vs ARG and I am from NED), but I will test it ASAP. Is there any chance this will make it into the official trunk?

GroteBozewolf wrote:
sebalt wrote:
GroteBozewolf wrote:

I am a bit occupied tonight (it's NED vs ARG and I am from NED), but I will test it ASAP. Is there any chance this will make it into the official trunk?

I don't think that this patch is gonna make it into trunk, since it disables EEE on the WAN port, which actually should work when enabled but obviously doesn't when connected to a certain type of network device (Ziggo UBEE, Technicolor 7200, maybe others!?). What actually needs to be done would be to fix the EEE feature in the switch drivers of OpenWRT (at least I guess it could be fixed - I am not an active OpenWRT developer though). I will try to link back to this thread in this ticket - let's hope that a developer picks up this problem...

(Last edited by sebalt on 10 Jul 2014, 18:35)

sebalt wrote:
GroteBozewolf wrote:
sebalt wrote:

I don't think that this patch is gonna make it into trunk, since it disables EEE on the WAN port, which actually should work when enabled but obviously doesn't when connected to a certain type of network device (Ziggo UBEE, Technicolor 7200, maybe others!?). What actually needs to be done would be to fix the EEE feature in the switch drivers of OpenWRT (at least I guess it could be fixed - I am not an active OpenWRT developer though). I will try to link back to this thread in this ticket - let's hope that a developer picks up this problem...

I can confirm that this completely solves the issue! Hopefully it will get fixed. I will also post in the ticket that was opened.

GroteBozewolf wrote:
sebalt wrote:
GroteBozewolf wrote:

I can confirm that this completely solves the issue! Hopefully it will get fixed. I will also post in the ticket that was opened.

Thanks to the enormous responsiveness of the OpenWRT developers, the patch just made it into trunk Changeset 41577 - disabling EEE on all interfaces for now, until a better solution can be found smile No need for custom image anymore, just update to latest trunk :-)

Hi, I also have the same poor switching erformance with my WDR4300 on OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 / LuCI (git-15.248.30277-3836b45)

But even while Searching the net and this board - I´m not able to find out how to install this patch or changeset?

Don´t understand wether I can upgrade it with opkpg or what I have to do. Is someone so kind and would tell me how I can install this changeset ?

And I´m still wondering this would work as WDR4300 is using AR9344 and the changeset 41577 seems to be for AR8216. But maybe I´m totally wrong?

So I would appreciate if someone could help me!

bricktopdgp wrote:

Hi, I also have the same poor switching erformance with my WDR4300 on OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 / LuCI (git-15.248.30277-3836b45)

But even while Searching the net and this board - I´m not able to find out how to install this patch or changeset?

Don´t understand wether I can upgrade it with opkpg or what I have to do. Is someone so kind and would tell me how I can install this changeset ?

And I´m still wondering this would work as WDR4300 is using AR9344 and the changeset 41577 seems to be for AR8216. But maybe I´m totally wrong?

So I would appreciate if someone could help me!

patchset mentioned above is old, it's already applied at least in the BB, so it's already present in your build

8216 driver was used for 8327 before separate 8327 driver appeared

Ok, thanks for your help.
Very strange. Since I first went from stock Firmware to dd-wrt I had this issue with poor switching Performance in LAN. Hoped openwrt would solve it.

I stream HD Content from Windows PC via SMB to Kodi on Amazon Fire TV. Never had any issues. When I use an very old 100Mbit Switch instead of my WDR4300 with openwrt it works like a charme.
So maybe I should go back to stock Firmware...very sad about it.

(Last edited by bricktopdgp on 5 Feb 2016, 00:07)

bricktopdgp wrote:

Ok, thanks for your help.
Very strange. Since I first went from stock Firmware to dd-wrt I had this issue with poor switching Performance in LAN. Hoped openwrt would solve it.

I stream HD Content from Windows PC via SMB to Kodi on Amazon Fire TV. Never had any issues. When I use an very old 100Mbit Switch instead of my WDR4300 with openwrt it works like a charme.
So maybe I should go back to stock Firmware...very sad about it.

I am running the latest stable CC 15.05 on my WDR4300 and it all works like a charm here.

The discussion might have continued from here.