OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [Free] Giving away dLAN 200 AV USB extender

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey guys,           

our company devolo would like to donate some of our devices for experimenting with OpenWRT.

The  dLAN® 200 AV USB extender is based on the Moschip MCS8140 SoC, runs Linux and serves USB devices over the Power Line interface.
If you are interested, please send me a PM describing your idea or project using this device. Then we will send you a device for FREE.

For detailed information see http://www.devolo.com/products/Smart/dL … er-com.pdf and  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/devolo/dlan-usb-extender

(Last edited by devanne on 9 Apr 2014, 11:58)

PM sent.

I just realized this serves USB devices over the Power Line interface. As such, there isn't much one can do to test the device if you can only send each interested individual a single unit.

devanne wrote:

Hey guys,           

our company devolo would like to donate some of our devices for experimenting with OpenWRT.

The  dLAN® 200 AV USB extender is based on the Moschip MCS8140 SoC, runs Linux and serves USB devices over the Power Line interface.
If you are interested, please send me a PM describing your idea or project using this device. Then we will send you a device for FREE.

For detailed information see http://www.devolo.com/consumer/dlan-200 … tender.pdf and  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/devolo/dlan-usb-extender

Hi devanne,

are you still giving?

Hi elppapp,

yes we are still giving away some devices. Please send me a PM describing your idea or project using this device. Then we will send you a device for FREE.

Hi devanne,

Pm sent

devanne wrote:

Hi elppapp,

yes we are still giving away some devices. Please send me a PM describing your idea or project using this device. Then we will send you a device for FREE.

i could use 2 in our school
can i have them

devanne wrote:

Hi elppapp,

Hi devanne,

I have received the devices and have been playing with them recently. It's pretty great idea to use PLC to extend the USB functionality.

I have successfully upgraded to openwrt firmware. I have plugged in a USB wifi dongle (rtl8192cu chipset) to connect to another wifi router.  However the ping test to the wifi router is pretty bad, around 50% packet drops.
I am not sure this is because of my wifi dongle being lousy, but i am gonna try out with usb-ethernet converter soon to see how it performs.

Just a silly question is there any chance the product does affect the wifi adaptor performance (perhaps because of PLC circuit) ?

elppaapp wrote:
devanne wrote:

Hi elppapp,

Hi devanne,

I have received the devices and have been playing with them recently. It's pretty great idea to use PLC to extend the USB functionality.

I have successfully upgraded to openwrt firmware. I have plugged in a USB wifi dongle (rtl8192cu chipset) to connect to another wifi router.  However the ping test to the wifi router is pretty bad, around 50% packet drops.
I am not sure this is because of my wifi dongle being lousy, but i am gonna try out with usb-ethernet converter soon to see how it performs.

Just a silly question is there any chance the product does affect the wifi adaptor performance (perhaps because of PLC circuit) ?

I have managed to try out with a usb-ethernet adaptor and it works pretty fine so far. Probably my wifi usb dongle is not good anymore. Will have to look for another one.

Hi devanne,

I have received the devices.
I have built my custom image and i have successfully upgraded to openwrt firmware.
I have connected to the devolo a Microsoft lifecam VX-5500 and published the stream with mjpg-streamer.
The video server works good!
I can see the stream from a pc with vlc or with my smartphone!
I will publish all the details.

Thank you

Hi Devanne,

I do not know if you still are giving away these devices. Nonetheless I sent you a message with my idea.

Thank you!

Samuel

The discussion might have continued from here.