OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WA901ND v3

The content of this topic has been archived between 2 Sep 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello to all, first post here
Would it possible for any of you to post your image building files, similar to the buildroot system, I need to work with a modified hostapd package, so can't use provided images. Something work related. Would really appreciate it if you could...

Hammad

Just a noob question: is now possible to flash OpenWrt 15.05 Chaos Calmer firmware directly through the OEM Web interface?

Or we still need to flash the firmware image on the first page and then sysupgrade to latest version?

Well I installed the base firmware image, on the first page of this thread, using the TP-LINK "upgrade firmware" page. Rebooted, set up and then firmware upgraded to OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 upgrade and all works fine.

Hi to all,
I hope someone can help me...

I bought a TL-WA901ND V3 after consulting the OpenWRT-Page. There I read that V3.x is supported. I was able to flash both, the stable and the trunk release on my device and get it up and running on Wireless. But I was only able to set up 2.4GHz WLAN with phy0/radio0. I am not able to set up a second phy/radio on 5GHz. What I’m doing wrong? Or is there no support for 5GHz? I tried it on CLI-Interface and tied iw info which only gives infos about 2.4GHz Channels

Thanks in advance.

The WA901ND is 2.4GHz only.

(Last edited by ian_m on 21 Oct 2015, 07:27)

Hi,

I got the v3 with the latest stock firmware installed.

Firmware Version:    
3.16.9 Build 150409 Rel.60640n
Hardware Version:    
WA901ND v3 00000000

I have tried to flash with the following firmware "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin" from the tp link web GUI but not getting any response. Do i need to downgrade to lower stock firmware before flash it with the openwrt firmware? can someone advise?

Thanks.

Read this:
If you get the error message “please choose a file to upgrade”, then rename the firmware file to something shorter (i.e. “gargoyle.bin”) and upload it again.
Or openwrt.bin or rename it to a Tp-Link bin

hi,

I have renamed the file but still the Ap is not responding. i m not getting any error message, the AP simply doesn't response to the firmware upgrade. wondering the latest stock firmware stooping it from the upgrade?

Hi,
Thank you for your advise.. I have managed to install the firmware.  Now looking for way to set up bridge with access point.  I have looked at relayd method but can't get the relayd to install via the software gui.  I'm a newbie and much appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

read my answer here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=60343 I i forgot to post that the Client (aka repeater) has to be in a dif. subnet i.e. set change Lan on Openwrt to 192.168.2.2 and if you had made changes default OpenWrt first.

Hallo all,

I am new in OpenWrt topic.
I would like to test this firmware on my TL-WA901ND.
I have one question. In original firmware there is
limit in MAC addresses at the "MAC address filtering" to 32.
Is the same limit in OpenWrt firmware?

regards
Rafal

Hi,
As a newbie,  I found hard to set up wireless bridge between Ap. I have switched to gargoyle which is very easy to set up with wireless bridge option from the gui.  I'm very happy with the performance,  still early days only been running for a day.

Hi smile

Is it possible to install an OpenVPN or PPTP client on this router?

I've successfully installed OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09

When attempting to follow instructions http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/vpn.c … penvpn.tun or http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/vpn.client.pptp I immediately fail with the error:

Installing openvpn (2.2.2-2) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/packages/openvpn_2.2.2-2_ar71xx.ipk.

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn:
 *     kernel (= 3.3.8-1-d6597ebf6203328d3519ea3c3371a493) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn.

I think this is telling me that my OpenWRT install is too old?

Else, Free space: 66% (420.00 KB) might be insufficient?

Hey.... I have the WA901ND V3.

My problem is that i had flashed it via the WebGUI (stock firmware) with the first dropbox Download link: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl … version_3x

Before flashing the Accesspoint had the ip-range 192.168.178.x and then i flashed the openwrt firmware... after that only the Power LED is on and no connection or response of it... 192.168.0.1/192.168.1.1 don't work, either via browser nor via terminal telnet/ping

Please help me hmm

//Edit1

via telnet it gives me following: "the host ist down" - and as I said, only the Power LED is on, nothing else... MacBook has 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1 as network seetings.

//Edit2

Via 192.168.1.255 I get a ping response, but ssh and telnet still don't work hmm Gives me "no permission"

(Last edited by Nobody123 on 15 Nov 2015, 14:32)

I have one tiny question ..now that i have successfully installed this firmware
can i use this ap as a router?
if yes ..how?i am desperately trying for some time now but can not achieve it.
i dont anything else just to work it like a router

When you say "use as a router" the conventional use case is to connect the Ethernet port to a network device that goes to the Internet, and route users from wifi to the Internet.

A device with one Ethernet port should still have a wan network and firewall zone configured by default, just with no hardware connected to them.

Enable the wifi AP.  By default you have one unsecured AP connected to LAN, but it is disabled.  If you have any neighbors it would be a good idea to secure it.
Disconnect the Ethernet cable and connect to the router by wifi.   Log in again.
In the Network-- LAN -- Physical settings, unselect the Ethernet port.
In Network -- WAN -- Physical settings, select the Ethernet port.
Plug the Ethernet into your network which is connected to the Internet.  It will by default acquire an address by DHCP.  If this is not what you need, change the WAN protocol.
If the WAN IP is in the range 192.168.1.x you need to change the LAN from 192.168.1.1 to something else like 192.168.y.1 where y is not 1.

The problem is i don't have a working network that i can just plugged in the ethernet port.

what i have is a cable from my isp that needs to connected to a computer or router and i need to configure static ip they have given me.

i don't want to use any device between the cable and this AP.
is it possible?

I just want to plugged the ethernet cable in the ethernet port and configure static ip and then connect to the wifi of this ap and surf the internet.

(Last edited by emodanimeboy on 17 Aug 2017, 09:26)

Yes that is possible.  Do what I said except configure the WAN to have static IP instead of DHCP.

I cant find any WAN

In Network -- WAN

there is only LAN

Though i have created one and done as you said but still not working may be i am missing something silly??
like bridging or something?
also my isp do lock the mac address but i have also override that in the newly created WAN interface

It will be very kind of yours if you could give me a little time so that we can chat while both onliine

The latest news is the AP itself get online but can not get internet if i connect through wifi of the AP

Go to network interfaces page and click add a new interface; name it 'wan' -- it is important to use lower case when you create it though it will still appear "WAN" upper case in the list.

Then edit the WAN settings:
Protocol: Static IP
IP, gateway, DNS:  As specified by your ISP
Physical settings: eth0 (Also edit LAN, the only change you need to make there is to take eth0 out of that network.)
Firewall settings: zone = wan  (The wan firewall zone should exist already)

emodanimeboy wrote:

The latest news is the AP itself get online but can not get internet if i connect through wifi of the AP

That probably is a firewall configuration issue.