OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WA901ND v3

The content of this topic has been archived between 2 Sep 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Many thanks to nebbia88, FriedZombie and all others involved.

FriedZombie - You said 'eth0.3 means that I would have a tagged vlan on eth0 tagged vlan3' - I have done the following, can you see if I have missed anything:

1) Via LuCI interface I created a new wireless network named VLAN3 and also created a new network interface named eth0.3 . I am assuming that any packets going through that wireless network VLAN3 SSID would be sent with tagged packets with VLAN ID 3

2) Secondly I then attached my machine to the VLAN3 SSID

3) Tried to route traffic once connected to the VLAN3 SSID

4) Found that the packets transmitted whilst connected to VLAN3 SSID did not contain the VLAN ID 3 in the header

Oddly in the  /etc/config/network file all I see is as below which does not seem to make any reference to VLAN 3.

Can anyone see if I have missed anything?

In addition can anyone confirm if the default eth0 management interface will be sent with tagged or untagged packets? I would ideally like the default management interface to appear as an untagged VLAN with a VLAN ID of 520.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd37:afbb:e668::/48'

config interface 'lan'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'static'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option ipaddr '172.16.22.13'
        option netmask '255.255.255.192'
        option gateway '172.16.22.1'

FriedZombie wrote:

Thank you all for the great responses smile

Also I have stuck together some images based on trunk r39025 + patches, this image contains the webgui (Luci) and zram_swap

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin (to flash trough the tp-link default webgui)
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin (to upgrade an existing openwrt installation)

Also the wireless is enabled by default on this image.

@pwilson411
Yes it is possible to do the setup that you want under openWrt, only the switch tab doesn't show up because the switch isn't used/connected on the wa901nd. But you can simply create new interfaces for example eth0.3 means that I have a tagged vlan on eth0 tagged vlan3.

(Last edited by pwilson411 on 19 Dec 2013, 19:17)

How these messages are so recents, I would like to confirm that all the functions are working perfectly, mainly the repeater mode. And I could upgrade the original TP-Link firmware to the OpenWRT via interface Web with no afraid?

Thanks in advance

I can confirm that upgrade from stock firmware for WA-901ND (v3) to openwrt using web interface work without any problem. Today i do that.
Firmware is this posted by FierdZombie: openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin
In my nwtwork i have one ap wr-1043ND (with dd-wrt latest revision) that act as router and two wa-901ND as repeaters for extending wireless network. One is on stock firmware and another is with openwrt.
Configuring wa-901nd as repeater is not dificult, but what i see is that at both repeaters are connected at TX rate by only 1M, and RX 54M (is use g standard for moment). Tests speed over internet confirm that.
Shure is not something wrong with openwrt because the other one is connected as same speed.
In this stage i don't know if is some problem with wa-901ND, or with WR-1043ND or maybe with dd-wrt firmware.
If fact i put openwrt on these AP to see if can do some hack to resolve that. If someone have suggestion, or encountered this situation and can offer some suggestion or tweeks I would be very happy. I want to mention that encryption is off.
Thanks to this ambitious community for his work!!!

(Last edited by vlad2005 on 21 Dec 2013, 17:31)

are you sure reported rate is real?

you tested some trasfer with iperf or similar?

@pwilson411
You don't seem to have created a new interface with the device eth0.3
please do post the following files: /etc/config/network /etc/config/wireless /etc/config/firewall

And I will change what is needed and post it for you.

p.s. I think you just named your wifi vlan3 and that is rather pointless

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 21 Dec 2013, 19:55)

@nebbia88
I will try tomorow and report the result.
Thanks for reply!

I'm back with results.
First I can find an easy way to run iperf on dd-wrt. So I change dd-wrt on my router with openwrt. Now everything seem to be ok. Connection between ap and sta show rate about 120M both on rx and tx with about 20 meters between ap and sta and two walls. This make me happy smile . With sta in proximity of ap separated by one wall i have 300M / 270M. So is excellent.
Tests with iperf show rate about 23Mbps from sta to ap and 43Mbps from ap to sta (with sta in working pos) ion ). This is much better from what i have until now. My conclusion is that dd-wrt have some problem with wr-1043nd. Anyway, openwrt look much better. Tons of good documentation, a lot of packages, active form. Probably need more tutorials using web gui. I know that this is not ideal because web interface can change, but people seem to be intimidates by work using console.
I have a little question. On wa-901nd(4M flash memory), i have occupied half on total space. Need to be careful with some growing files like logs?

(Last edited by vlad2005 on 22 Dec 2013, 16:51)

Well if you mean the logs, that can be read with logread. Not really since they are loaded in a ring buffer in ram.
If you mean actual files, you could save them in /tmp/whatever , but keep in mind that it is a volatile storage also in ram. it could still fill up the ramfs partition but you then could simply declog the router by restarting it.

If you store them elswhere on the device, it will go into the overlays/jffs2 partition and that could potentially clog up the system.

Also I'm thinking about creating a youtube channel dedicated to openwrt, people seem to appreciate videos more then written stuff. (I like the written stuff).

by default you do not have any growing log afaik...

It's a very good idea with youtube because is faster than make capture and write things!! And seem to be well appreciate by users. Not need to much. Basic router setup with nat, wds, qos. This is basic for most people. For advanced users, they can read documentation and post on forums.

Thanks again!

Just like to add another note of thanks for those that have worked on getting OpenWRT to work on the TL-WA901ND - the two xmas presents to myself are now much improved :-)

Good evening all,

I've recently bought a WA901ND V3.  I've not used OpenWrt before, so flashing and using this would be my first time.  Having had a look at some of the docs, sometimes a GIU isn't included in the software.  Is a GIU included in the image above? 

I'm quite happy on the command line, but I've never really gotten my head around networking, so think a GIU may be best for me.

Many thanks,
Ben

does anyone know how to restore the original firmware?

did you read the first page?

You need to cutoff the bootpart of the tp-link image and flash it either trough the luci gui or
via the cli with the command sysupgrade -n /tmp/stripped_wa901ndv3_130828.bin

If you flash the router trough the cli, you can transfer the image with scp and you have to store it in the /tmp directory

Stripped image to return to the original firmware: stripped_wa901ndv3_130828.bin

Well checked the firmware, they both have identical offsets and identical lzma compression (that also decompresses). My guess would be that something went corrupt at some point and it had probably nothing todo with the actual firmware wink

(Also I missed your post on the first page, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with uploading an other one tongue)

edit: well since I don't have a wa901ndv3 myself I flashed it to a simillar enough device and it boots happily with the newer firmware as well.

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 7 Jan 2014, 23:32)

nebbia88 wrote:

did you read the first page?

oh, my fault, i'm sorry, didn't see the 1st page.

FriedZombie wrote:

You need to cutoff the bootpart of the tp-link image and flash it either trough the luci gui or
via the cli with the command sysupgrade -n /tmp/stripped_wa901ndv3_130828.bin

If you flash the router trough the cli, you can transfer the image with scp and you have to store it in the /tmp directory

Stripped image to return to the original firmware: stripped_wa901ndv3_130828.bin

thank you very much! worked, just flashed this firmware through the openwrt/luci web interface.
Very much apreciated! smile

Guys,

do you have any plans to officially support v3? Since I cannot find the firmware on the original site, only v1 and v2 revisions...

Thank you!

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin

it's only in trunk builds (bleeding edge, gui not included, kmods change every day XD), if you want a stable version you have to wait (a lot.. i think...).

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 12 Jan 2014, 14:29)

nebbia88 wrote:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin

it's only in trunk builds (bleeding edge, gui not included, kmods change every day XD), if you want a stable version you have to wait (a lot.. i think...).

Thank you very much. You told that we have to wait a lot.. why? As I can see from this discussion, v3 is supported without any problem?

Well, need a little advice smile

I've got a trunk version and installed Luci via cli. As a result, current version is OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r39294 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9948)

Free space is about 190Kb... I thought about installing zram-swap and actually installed it... with a lot of dependent modules. I think that some of the modules had an error during setup:

user.info syslog: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.26/zram.ko

I think that's why zram doesn't work:

root@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep -i zr
[    7.990000] zram: Created 1 device(s) ...

and that is all. Free space is 7%, it is only 76 kb sad

It is even impossible to install sftp... what a dumb device with small memory smile