OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Nighthawk R7000

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

nand flash is problem for openwrt dev

Do we know if it has NAND flash?  As far as I can tell, nothing has confirmed or denied this.  The wikidevi page seems to be wrong, as it shows 16MB flash but all other websites are saying it has 128MB of flash.  Regardless, I know OpenWRT supports many routers with NAND flash, so I don't think it's that big of a problem.  The biggest obstacle is most likely getting one of these devices into a developer's hands.

Would love to see OpenWRT support on this powerful router.

(Last edited by kwolf on 14 Oct 2013, 05:58)

Netgear R7000 is too expensive and will be the same as the WNDR4700. First, developers need to have the device, and yet it costs $ 200.
Earlier, see DD-WRT than OpenWRT ...
BTW dd-wrt -> http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/51 … Fi-Router/

I'd rather not use that build of DD-WRT as it is compiled with Netgear-specific binaries.  It is not supported by the DD-WRT project.  It is a better option than stock Netgear firmware though.  Nearly all Netgear devices with Netgear firmware have a telnet exploit that allows anyone on the local network to take over the router and run commands on it.

You are right though, the price is an obstacle to getting OpenWRT supported.  Someone would have to donate one to a developer willing to work on it.

What would be needed from me (I own one) to first get enough specifics to know if it is worth moving forward on donating one of these to a developer.

Any chance for R7000 OpenWRT support? smile If not soon, what router would you suggest to buy, with similar as R7000 (or better) specifications but with good OpenWRT support?

I recently bought the R7000. I am willing to pitch in to get this router to the OpenWRT developers.

I really like Netgear routers but only for their hardware. The stock web interface is pathetic. It looks silly and it is missing options. However I must add that I have not seen any consumer grade routers with a decent web interface (until you put OpenWRT on it wink). And even some professional routers have crap interfaces.

I just got myself a R7000 and the hw is absolutely stellar, currently running dd-wrt, kong build.

But i'ts just not the same as running openwrt.

If it's only lack of hardware that's holding back the development, I would be happy to provide hardware for developers.

So, if anyone from the dev team would like to start working on a port, please contact me at openwrt@r4x.33mail.com and we'll get the details sorted out.

(Last edited by br221 on 19 Jun 2014, 21:49)

I am with br221. If there is a developer wanting to get OpenWrt working on the R7000, just let me know.

There are probably enough people using this router to sponsor a couple of them.

It's the lack of developers that is holding back development.

And the lack of wireless drivers.

According to wikidevi it uses 2 BCM4360 .

I think those are still unsupported in Linux Kernel and probably like the other common chip BCM4331 apparently the Broadcom devs are not allowed to publish.
So it's Broadcom Management preventing getting work done (since at least Nov 2013).

source linux-wireless mailing list:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wire … 14700.html

brought up again January 2014 without management policy change:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless& … 92&w=2

Don't know how much work clean room reversal would be (like b43 was done)

Hmmm, ok. It's not as easy as copying the drivers from DDWRT for this router (also running on a linux kernel) ? I am currently using DD-WRT on this router, but man, that interface is really confusing and it took me forever to configure my ISP in DD-WRT.

My ISP uses VLAN6 on eth0 for the internet connection.

(Last edited by depl0y on 24 Jun 2014, 21:31)

any news on this?

This patch was recently commited:

commit 9be54386a84a0b820c70e185b01260f1a5649da8
Date:   Mon Aug 11 20:25:26 2014 +0000

bcm53xx: add b43 wifi support

Now it is possible to use b43 wifi.

Maybe it's possible to have wifi now in r7000 ?

BCM4360 radios (used in R7000) are not supported by b43. See b43#Supported_devices for updates.

But doesn't the following quote mean that it will never support ac hardware?

b43 and b43legacy are drivers for the 802.11b/g/n family of wireless chips that Broadcom produces.

I noticed that there were people that are able to get the BCM4360 working using Linux.

I am a bit scared that OpenWrt (still light-years ahead of DD-WRT, I think), won't support the ac chips of Broadcom anytime soon. I am now forced to use DD-WRT sad

I noticed that there were people that are able to get the BCM4360 working using Linux.

I am a bit scared that OpenWrt (still light-years ahead of DD-WRT, I think), won't support the ac chips of Broadcom anytime soon. I am now forced to use DD-WRT sad

There are propietary x86 linux drivers. See http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

I coudn't find drivers for ARM. However, tomato and dd-wrt are using them, so maybe it's possible to have openwrt with propietary drivers also.

fedux wrote:

There are propietary x86 linux drivers. See http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

I coudn't find drivers for ARM. However, tomato and dd-wrt are using them, so maybe it's possible to have openwrt with propietary drivers also.

Please no, keep the dirt away.

Accepting binbary blobs upstream is just accepting defeat, no good permanent solution. Sadly, "you" as a customer need to choose your products more carefully next time.

EVVK wrote:
fedux wrote:

Please no, keep the dirt away.

Accepting binbary blobs upstream is just accepting defeat, no good permanent solution. Sadly, "you" as a customer need to choose your products more carefully next time.

Back on post #8, the question was asked what is a recommendation for an OpenWRT supported router that has similar hardware specs.  Do you have a suggestion?

gottaloveit wrote:

Back on post #8, the question was asked what is a recommendation for an OpenWRT supported router that has similar hardware specs.  Do you have a suggestion?

I would to be very interested in getting a router with hw-specs like the n7k, but running openwrt - similar or better CPU-performance, USB3 and lots of flash storage.

Any suggestions?

Any news on this?, seems like a worthy successor to my wdr4300