OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Developer but new to OpenWrt

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I am new to OpenWrt and i want to use it with AR9331 wifi SoC to turn on/off GPIO from my android handset.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me where to start from? So far after a couple of hour of googling i could not find out the source code files that i could edit and modify and recompile..

btw, i have some background of C programing in atmel, pic, stm32 as well as RPi etc.. i dont know if all this is enough for me to do work on OpenWrt.. Please give your opinion also about this.

Thanks in advance for your time and help smile

-greenapples

Thanks for the links.. i have checkout the package from github and exploring it now.

Would you tell me where can i see the source code files in C/C++ for the OpenWrt?

If you have checked them out, a copy of the source codes will be in the local directory that you specified. Unless you're more specific, I'm not sure what exactly you want to see.

OpenWrt is a meta distribution in large parts, means many packages are not shipped with source but downloaded on demand and the a local series of patches is applied to the vanilla source.

You can find the package definitions in package/ and the local patches in the patches/ subdirectory of each package folder.
The patched sources that got compiled can be found in build_dir/target-*/ after you run a full make run at least once.

oh i see.. it makes some sense to me now smile

Would you be kind enough to tell me where can i find information about fetching and building a custom firmware.. selecting packages etc.. i have not done anything of this kind before.

Thanks in advance..

-greenapples

The discussion might have continued from here.