OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can someone please write a tutorial for NETEM !

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

This is outrageous ! All of these developers out here and not one in depth tutorial is available on the internet for someone who is trying to learn openwrt and it's linux system. If not even a beginner can read instructions and follow and be successful in what they are trying to accomplish then that shows that even the developer isn't too clear on what he is teaching. I don't want to come across as being demanding and rude but this is a cry for help from someone who is trying to setup OpenWRT for the first time with no experience in linux.

Google is your friend.

Amongst some other sites you find

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/packe … /sch_netem

If that's not what you're searching, feel free to improve the situation by posting your tutorial here. Someone's always the first one... ;-)

@tmo26 I am the one crying for help here. If I knew how to write an in depth tutorial for openwrt God knows I would have done it by now. The  difficulty that I am having is setting up netem. So far I downloaded kmod - netem via the available packages found in the webgui and when I try to enter the commands in "putty" I get the RTNETLINK answers: no such file or directory available. I then came across some files of netem that should be installed via SSH but do not know exactly where to put them. The files are as such:
              1) README.nd
              2) Makefile (luci-app folder)
              3) netem.lua (controller folder)
              4) netem.lua (cbi folder)
              5) Makefile (netem-control folder)
              6) netem.uci (netem control folder)
              7) netem.init (netem control folder)
              8) netem.config (netem control folder)
              9) netem-control.lua (sbin folder)

These above are the files in their respective folders from the openwrt netem master zip file that I downloaded. I would like to know where does each file from each folder go in in the openwrt router via SSH, and are these files sufficient to run netem commands after being installed. (NB My webgui under installed packages says I have kmod sched etc. installed)

nathanielpollard wrote:

This is outrageous !

OMG!

All of these developers out here and not one in depth tutorial is available on the internet for someone who is trying to learn openwrt and it's linux system.

Are you kidding ?
Please revisit, refresh or look up some learning and research techniques.

If not even a beginner can read instructions and follow and be successful in what they are trying to accomplish then that shows that even the developer isn't too clear on what he is teaching.

I thought you didn't find any instructions?
And btw. contrary to your point developers are not necessarily teachers.

I don't want to come across as being demanding and rude but this is a cry for help from someone who is trying to setup OpenWRT for the first time with no experience in linux.

No experience in Linux ?
You can talk to people, visit/view lectures, read books in the library, get information online etc.

Oh and btw.
what is netem ?
Oh its network emulation.
Why don't you ask on their mailing list for guides?

And since it is network emulation ... well... thats interesting because normally only researcher, engineers and developers use that ("use case"). I think i am re-evaluating my views ...

I am not sure if you are ranting at some "basic" level of not knowing Linux or OpenWrt that those
google results (try: network emulation with netem filetype:pdf ) will increase your knowledge.

I've had my own frustrations with finding information on how to do some things on OpenWRT, but you know what I think is outrageous? Your self-centered sense of entitlement.

Rather than ranting and throwing a tantrum, why don't you make the effort of asking intelligent questions? Instead you seem to think that there is someone out there who can read your mind AND has the time and knowledge give you exactly the instructions you need to do what you are trying to do.

Thank you Zloop for your response and to you EAS, you sir are a clown. What I simply asked for was a tutorial for netem, but since you had not written a tutorial I believe you yourself are still inexperienced with openwrt. For those who are in my situation, setting up netem is simple. First download the modules that netem requires through putty: kerenel_netem (install opkg kernel_netem) and iproute2 (install opkg ip). Secondly make sure that the module (sch_netem) is running using the command lsmod. If it is not running install the netem mod with the command insmod sch_netem. From there you can enter your commands associated with netem. Thank you and your welcome.

The discussion might have continued from here.