OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Connecting a RTL8196 Realtek based router with serial interface

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, is just that i've been trying to connect a router through serial interface, it is a RTL8196 based router, the interface is a 3.3V one, i used a DKU-5 cable but i havent get any success, also used a max232 but it doesnt work either. Has some one connected a router successfully with a 3.3V interface? please help. Thanks in advanced.

First, you should have a look at the wiki page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/po … rt.pinouts
Then, you should write in detail what you already did, and the results you encountered.
Something you could do for a start is an echo test. Therefor you make sure that local echo is disabled in your terminal program (don't connect any line of your serial cable and type something in the terminal program - what you typed should not appear on the screen). Then, you connect your serial cables Tx with your serial cables Rx and type something - you should get what you typed printed on the screen.

The discussion might have continued from here.