OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Developing Support for NETGEAR WNDR4700

The content of this topic has been archived between 27 Apr 2018 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi.
The @shibby from http://openlinksys.info/ made an unofficial modification of the image (firmware 1.0.0.52) where the  added a torrent client - transmission 2.82; ssh server - dropbear; swap as a file, nano, htop, tcpdump, iptraf.
For swap, transmission and ssh added configuration file settings.txt, who writes on sda1 (the default is the internal disk). For editing use notepad++. SSH only works locally - from Netgear firewall blocks ports unfortunately.
Rpc in transmsision is opening the WAN. Recommended necessarily change the password in the file transmission - settings.json.
Links for download is here.

Author the modification assumes NO responsibility for damage to hardware and software network device. Uploading the image on their own responsibility.

PS: I use a modified @shibby and how far it works well big_smile.

DarioX7 wrote:

Hi.
The @shibby from http://openlinksys.info/ made an unofficial modification of the image (firmware 1.0.0.52) where the  added a torrent client - transmission 2.82; ssh server - dropbear; swap as a file, nano, htop, tcpdump, iptraf.
For swap, transmission and ssh added configuration file settings.txt, who writes on sda1 (the default is the internal disk). For editing use notepad++. SSH only works locally - from Netgear firewall blocks ports unfortunately.
Rpc in transmsision is opening the WAN. Recommended necessarily change the password in the file transmission - settings.json.

Author the modification assumes NO responsibility for damage to hardware and software network device. Uploading the image on their own responsibility.

I tried this firmware, but after the update my HDD was not recognized anymore. It is a 3TB NTFS (WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0)
I had to go back to the original one. Still waiting for a better version.
sad

ksian wrote:
DarioX7 wrote:

Hi.

I tried this firmware, but after the update my HDD was not recognized anymore. It is a 3TB NTFS (WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0)
I had to go back to the original one. Still waiting for a better version.
sad

@ksian will no longer be new modified version of the.
It was just a one-time upgrade old Kamikaze and there is no point in the play.
Then you must now wait for a miracle, maybe PPC_46x will be sometime in the new kernel and then maybe something will start with porting to AA.

Today, I'm undertaking development for the WNDR4700. I am swamped with competing projects, but I hope to get a boot-from-SATA build going this month. It may still be just a Kamikaze variant, but... we'll see.

First, though, I should mention that (I believe) the labels of the serial pins tx/rx are transposed in the wiki picture (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr4700#serial). Ground and Vcc are correctly labeled, but Receive is next to Gnd and Transmit is adjacent Vcc.

Regards

DarioX7 asked me, to say it here as well. Support for this particular router can be added given either someone submits patches or we get a device / donations towards buying one.

What would 1 have to do to help develop support for this, and also get assistance with making this work on their router. I'm a dunce because I've only ever used Tomato and DD-wrt and would love to be able to get the full strength of this wonderful machine to work with NAS and everything else.

I emailed glp three days ago asking where to ship a router for donation. No response.

Is there any update on support for this device? I just picked one up the other day. It'd be fantastic to see OpenWRT supported on this device. If there's a crowdfunding effort I'd most certainly support it.

Has anyone had any luck compiling an old kamikaze version and booting it successfully on the device?

Finally got hold of this Router/NAS 18 months later after release on a fire sale price...

I plan to replace both good old trusty TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND (OpenWRT+Gargoyle) and D-LINK DNS-323 (Alt-F+ffp) at the same time.

The default firmware from NETGEAR is minimal in features but satisfactory for the moment: has wild-card domain filtering, monthly bandwidth cap controls, wi-fi scheduling, which are hard to find (all) on modern routers. On the NAS side, the NTFS support is a huge plus (although I've giving up Apple Time Machine support on NTFS) and the gigabit reading speed is wickedly fast at 70-90 MBytes/S.

I will be missing these features from OpenWRT:
- OpenVPN.
- Detailed web usage and web search monitoring.

I will be missing these features from Alt-F:
- BitTorrent client.
- Newsbin client.

A few more additional features specific to the CENTRIA:
- Provide hard drive inactivity spin-down timer.
- Temperature driven fan speed control.

Now then... getting started with the NETGEAR provided source code for their firmware and heading off to the newbie section for OpenWRT development...

Donated a router to ramponis, since OpenWRT's official contact person was non-existant. Hopefully he'll be able to get something working and integrated into OpenWRT source.

(Last edited by petteyg359 on 23 May 2014, 23:36)

petteyg359 wrote:

Donated a router to ramponis, since OpenWRT's official contact person was non-existant. Hopefully he'll be able to get something working and integrated into OpenWRT source.

Great job pettyg359. Is ramponis working on WNDR 4700 support? Have you heard anything from him? I am willing to contribute some money to him if we can really get something.

I'd also love to contribute some money towards a viable port. Would really love to see openwrt on this device.

Is there any progress with OpenWRT on this router?

Is there any hope for getting support for WNDR 4700?

I was really looking forward to see OpenWRT on my WNDR 4700. It is a great router with endless possibilities but still no luck for OpenWRT.

Since BB supports NAND Flash may be able to do a clean OpenWRT for WNDR4700?

Really hope to get BB on this peace of hardware soon. Does anyone know  is someone working currently on support for this device ?

(Last edited by jericho on 31 Aug 2014, 12:28)

Don't know if anyone with skillz would want to work out a loan on one of these? I've got one of these collecting dust until it gets some usable fw,  and well if I just gave it away my interest in it's firmware drops considerably. I'd pay to ship (usa) also the internal sata is??? I've only tried my ancient sam spinpoint f1 (1998) but it chokes on it, all the front lights flash a few times then the router reboots, not sure if it's fw related or not. But if anyone interested I'll scavenge a decent drive  and recheck it since internal sata is the big selling point on this..

God this thing needs some usable firmware stuck an intel 60gb ssd in the 4700, write 26mbs read 90mbs, that just blows away my wnr3500lv2 @ 5/10mbs and Asus rt-n65u 15/30mbs (usb3)

FIRMWARE!! FIRM WARE!! WE ALL SCREAM FOR FIRMWHERRRRRR!!

DarioX7 wrote:

Since BB supports NAND Flash may be able to do a clean OpenWRT for WNDR4700?

Hello DarioX7,

Have you heard about any update on this from any developers?

We are really missing some functionality on this router.

Regards

Hi Guys,

i also have the router since few days and all I'm missing is the MKV playability from my PS3. Is there now a possibility to do it?
It recognized my 4TB WD RED - I'm lucky also with the speed it provides so far.

Best regards,
Luke