OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Luci in trunk has new UI, and it is awesome - let's discuss!

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Luci in latest trunk has new UI and it is looking awesome, has nice dropdown menues, works faster than old Luci...

Here are some of the screenshots:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184632/luci-01.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184632/luci-02.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184632/luci-03.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184632/luci-04.png

I would like to see "hostname" also appear in wifi table but other than that this is great step forward and making luci much more usable!

I currently have this version installed: "luci - svn-r9868-1"

Thanks to Squonk and all others who worked on Luci.

(Last edited by valentt on 25 Jul 2013, 13:29)

Erm...bootstrap theme has been in LuCI a long time ago...

bootstrap has been the default theme since early April.
I like it otherwise, but I think it wastes vertical screen space. The lines are vertically too sparsely placed in most screens.

Bootstrap has a problem with touchscreen devices.
For example when I touch the menu it hyperlinks straight to the first page of the menu even before the drop down activates.

guys, you killed his happiness big_smile

Not sure if anyone encountered this.
Somehow the password and the username in my Tunnel Broker suddenly changed to the username and password in /etc/passwd when I edited it in LuCI.

Why didn't I know about luci themes before?!? wink

Btw in latest trunk (r37528 from 25.07.2013) there is a bug, if you install luci it doesn't install bootstrap theme as a dependency...

UPDATE; the issue is not missing dependency but but bad /etc/config/luci file:

it ends like this:
"config internal themes"

instead with:
"config internal 'themes'                       
        option OpenWrt '/luci-static/openwrt.org'
        option Bootstrap '/luci-static/bootstrap'"

(Last edited by valentt on 25 Jul 2013, 19:29)

I don't like the new theme :-(

Its pretty, but not very practical, and practicality is v important.
After all how much time do you spend looking at your router setup?

Speak for yourself, I don't care if it is more or less pretty, to me this new theme is more pratical.

I get thing done much quicker with new theme, drop down menues are much faster was of getting things done, and my browsers like it more ie feels much more responsive than old theme...

Of course if different theme works better for you more power to you, but you can't say that new theme is absolutely less practical, for me it is much more practical than old one...

(Last edited by valentt on 26 Jul 2013, 21:35)

The better ui speed is probably to the more aggressive module caching which was disabled for a while.

I know that the bootstrap theme is bad for smartphones (it works okayish on my iPhone but far from perfect) - I'll eventually sit down and work on a mobile CSS, but thats a bit further down on my todo list.

Hi jow, it there a reason why hostname is omitted in wireless clients table? This is really useful information, especially if you use dhcp to name your clients, then you exactly what is going in with them. ddwrt webui has hostname in their webui and it makes sense. Please, please, pretty please add hostnames to wifi client table.

The new default UI theme doesn't work with touch devices. I tried BB r36676 and the new theme on Android, but switched back to the old theme since the drop down menus didn't work.

mikma wrote:

The new default UI theme doesn't work with touch devices. I tried BB r36676 and the new theme on Android, but switched back to the old theme since the drop down menus didn't work.

Exactly someone should have filed a bug report to remove the hyperlink behaviour from the menu.

If you like the old theme back just install it:

opkg update
opkg install luci-theme-openwrt

Done. And I'm happy again with LuCI :-)

I have a quick fix for the LuCI Menu hyperlink behaviour

Intro:
The menu hyperlink is useless. Why? Because it simply hyperlinks to the first child dropdown which also already has a hyperlink?!
On touchscreen device this prevents you from accessing the child dropdown!
So I have 2 web fixes here.
In Bootstrap header.htm
Change <a class="menu" href="<%=pcdata(href)%>"> to this <a class="menu">
The href is the culprit.
However if you do that the cursor changes to an ugly text pointer we want the hand pointer back
In Bootstrap we add this in cascade.css
In this element => a.menu:after, .dropdown-toggle:after
Add =>cursor: pointer;

Solved ! And now it doesn't do a redundant hyperlink at the same time it solved the cursor issue!
Also I like to take this opportunity to highlight this issue I have reported
http://luci.subsignal.org/trac/ticket/556
I already include the screenshot.
If you do a control F5 on firefox you noticed that you can't see anything you type in the zonebadge.
I already include the solution to change the em value so please commit. I hate to do manual patching everytime I compile a build

I include a simple sed monkey patch below

sed -i 's|height: 1em;|height: 2em;|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/luci-0.11+svn9877/themes/bootstrap/htdocs/luci-static/bootstrap/cascade.css
sed -i 's|height: 1em;|height: 2em;|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/luci-0.11+svn9877/themes/bootstrap/dist/www/luci-static/bootstrap/cascade.css
sed -i 's|height: 1em;|height: 2em;|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/root-ar71xx/www/luci-static/bootstrap/cascade.css
#Fix BootStrap Menu hyperlink
sed -i 's|<a class="menu" href="<%=pcdata(href)%>">|<a class="menu">|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/luci-0.11+svn9877/themes/bootstrap/dist/usr/lib/lua/luci/view/themes/bootstrap/header.htm
sed -i 's|<a class="menu" href="<%=pcdata(href)%>">|<a class="menu">|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/luci-0.11+svn9877/themes/bootstrap/luasrc/view/themes/bootstrap/header.htm
sed -i 's|padding: 10px 10px 11px;|padding: 10px 10px 11px;    cursor: pointer;|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/luci-0.11+svn9877/themes/bootstrap/htdocs/luci-static/bootstrap/cascade.css
sed -i 's|padding: 10px 10px 11px;|padding: 10px 10px 11px;    cursor: pointer;|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/luci-0.11+svn9877/themes/bootstrap/dist/www/luci-static/bootstrap/cascade.css
sed -i 's|padding: 10px 10px 11px;|padding: 10px 10px 11px;    cursor: pointer;|g' $HOME/openwrt/TL-WR1043ND/attitude_adjustment/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/root-ar71xx/www/luci-static/bootstrap/cascade.css

Due to not wanting to start a new thread for this question, I have the same router as OP (TPlink 1043nd). What is the state of the current trunk on it? Is everything more or less ok? And for which hardware revisions of the router is this the case? The openwrt wiki page of the router has no recent info in this regard.

Well I installed and it works fine, for any people with the same router wondering.

The discussion might have continued from here.