Re: Easybox 904 LTE open source code to be provide soon

xicoyihl wrote:

Some other developers of LEDE/OpenWrt told that mainline OpenWrt is possible.

Possible: oh, it's certainly possible. Probable: (insert a sound very much like "nnngh mmmnrgh" here)

The main reason it does not get merged at the recent state is that the changes QAuge did break the support for other devices.

Someone CMIIW, but QAuge is the only developer currently active on this device. So it very much hinges on him unless someone else joins development. That someone else, I'm sorry but realistic enough to say, is not me.

OpenWrt/LEDE enthusiast and advocate, full-time web designer and programmer, major league procrastinator

scapi wrote:

@QAuge Can You explain how did You build recovery image ?

Hi!
First checkout the project and switch to the branch: recovery.
Then to the following:

cp recovery.cfg .config
make menuconfig
make

It should produce the binaries which you can flash via emergency recovery.

metai wrote:
xicoyihl wrote:

Some other developers of LEDE/OpenWrt told that mainline OpenWrt is possible.

Possible: oh, it's certainly possible. Probable: (insert a sound very much like "nnngh mmmnrgh" here)

The main reason it does not get merged at the recent state is that the changes QAuge did break the support for other devices.

Someone CMIIW, but QAuge is the only developer currently active on this device. So it very much hinges on him unless someone else joins development. That someone else, I'm sorry but realistic enough to say, is not me.

Thanks metai for your explanations. I'm with you, to integrate this big hack machine we need more active developers.
Sadly, the current state is sufficient for me. I can't motivate myself to get the device integrated in upstream, because it means a lot of work to be done. Also there are things left (WIFI) which are in no good state.
I will follow the lede upstream project and will merge the changes into the current device tree - as I have time for it.
Sources will be published on github, so everyone can build his own version, in case I haven't time anymore.
Thats for now smile

429 (edited by metai 2018-01-11 00:18:59)

QAuge wrote:

Sadly, the current state is sufficient for me.

Nothing sad about it. As I said, it would be nice to have "clean" builds, maybe even one with SMP enabled, but at some point I/we will be able to create them myself. At the moment, my virtual "build" machine is constantly running out of space, but I'm hopeful to get there.

Also there are things left (WIFI) which are in no good state.

I somewhat disagree. Sure, the relationship between SoC, switch, and wifi subsystem is a strange choice. But in the end it acts like an access point connected via VLAN and accepts commands like a ralink USB dongle.

OpenWrt/LEDE enthusiast and advocate, full-time web designer and programmer, major league procrastinator

Sadly, the current state is sufficient for me. I can't motivate myself to get the device integrated in upstream, because it means a lot of work to be done. Also there are things left (WIFI) which are in no good state.
I will follow the lede upstream project and will merge the changes into the current device tree - as I have time for it.
Sources will be published on github, so everyone can build his own version, in case I haven't time anymore.
Thats for now

It is not less work to split in a ready part (uboot + vrx200 main support + nand + switch) and a developing, etra and exotic part (like wlan display)
And upstream the ready part to LEDE and the other as an extra feed on github ?
In the hope that the LEDE team takes care of the general eb904x support ?

User can experimenting and learn with WLAN and the other stuff but when the device will not support in generall it is hopeless.
For example what will happen on newer kernel versions with the 4052-NAND-add-easybox904-bbt.patch or other patches ?
(by the way where comes the information from to write this ?)

The second problem is you are the only guy that are competent enought to can do it, because it is your baby.

For upstreaming to LEDE will be an exact todo-list required, so the parts can be split in parts (or patches)
In post 387 i have make patches from the github-eb904x-reposatory for the LEDE-snapshot-reposatory (working on 12/2017).
With this patches you can make clear LEDE image and it was working very well in 12.2017 (now not tested).
I split in to patches because the first with all changes against the LEDE-repo and one with all new files.
If you look at these patches with Kompare (or an other programm) you can see the differenzes.

here my try for a todolist:

- Kernel-config: the default kernelconfig for all xrx200 devices was changed "target/linux/lantiq/xrx200/config-default"
How is it possible to use these different kernelconfig for the EB904x with do not make changes to the default ?

- Uboot: "packages/boot/uboot-lantiq-easybox904xdsl" here a lot of files and it looks totally different to other devices, but i have no knowlege about uboot.

- Kernelpatches: new patches in "target/linux/lantiq/patches-4.9" no idea how are the effect to the mainline

- RTL8367b-Switch: the files in "target/linux/files/drivers/net/phy" differ from the default. Any ideas ?
Is it possible to do an extra kmod package from it ? (or better is this a usefull way ?)
Why does the default rtl8367b files not working with the Easybox 904xDSL ?

431 (edited by scapi 2018-01-14 17:02:40)

QAuge wrote:
scapi wrote:

@QAuge Can You explain how did You build recovery image ?

Hi!
First checkout the project and switch to the branch: recovery.
Then to the following:

cp recovery.cfg .config
make menuconfig
make

It should produce the binaries which you can flash via emergency recovery.

I was thinking more like why it is initramfs image but I asked something else wink .

I'm trying to make WRT/Lede for LTE version, maybe someone already did it and I'm wasting my time ?

Edit:
As for xDSL version, from 12.2017 we are missing ubifs from lantiq, so everything has to be reworked.

scapi wrote:

I was thinking more like why it is initramfs image but I asked something else wink .

I wasn't able to write a jffs parition via the bootloader. It seems it has an bug. So I decided to put all in a small ramdisk which allows an user to flash the full featured system.

Hi Plonk34.
Just some (incomplete) notes about your questions:

Plonk34 wrote:

For example what will happen on newer kernel versions with the 4052-NAND-add-easybox904-bbt.patch or other patches ?
(by the way where comes the information from to write this ?)

I get them by an hint of Mathias Kresin "mkresin", just looked at the provided kernel sources and found some "CTC" marks.
That way I was able to extract the differences to the current kernel.

Plonk34 wrote:

- Uboot: "packages/boot/uboot-lantiq-easybox904xdsl" here a lot of files and it looks totally different to other devices, but i have no knowlege about uboot.

It's the vendor provided uboot stack, with some patches to compile against newer gcc versions. I never tried this version in production (only the one within the "easybox-devel" branch, but it is a good reference for hardware bring up and maybe it works in reality.

Plonk34 wrote:

- RTL8367b-Switch: the files in "target/linux/files/drivers/net/phy" differ from the default. Any ideas ?
Is it possible to do an extra kmod package from it ? (or better is this a usefull way ?)
Why does the default rtl8367b files not working with the Easybox 904xDSL ?

The rtl8367b is connected via mdio. There isn't support for that method in upstream openwrt/lede. There was a pull request: rtl8367b: add MDIO support, LED options, port control #537 from Vitaly Chekryzhev (13hakta) which I tested. So I decided to add these patches to my branch.

For separating some components, I decided already to put the display and wlan driver to separate repositories. However some patches are needed, especially the xr200 lan patches to VGV952CJW33-E-IR: Add support for fixed-link definition. to fake the connection state - which is always up. And many more...

Hi everybody!

First of all I want to thank you for all the work you did here!
I'm not much of a developer ... more sysadmin :-)

Here's my plan:
I got some of these 904 xDSL boxes and would like to flash them with "good" firmware. Unfortunately I did not succeed in building it myself ... I got errors while compiling it.
Is there a step by step howto somewhere? Or is there even a chance to get a firmware which I can use to flash via rescue mode? Or updates?
The one thing I managed to do is installing the LEDE firmware as described in wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/arcadyanastoria/arcadyan_astoria_easybox_904xdsl_r01#installing_lede (sorry, I'm not allowed to put links here) but I don't know if thta's up to date.

Another question: Has anyone played around with LibreMesh? Is there a Chance to get it running on the EasyBox 904?

Thank you very much for you replies!

Philipp

@ QAuge

Hi there, sorry for my late answer but i wanted to build a new image first and try something, it all cost massive time.

I am not really a programmer but i have read the link to the patch and would say: it is so written that the old stuff remains.
But i think it need a way to separeted it too, not because the kernel-patches but because rtl8366_smi.c rtl8367b.c rtl8366_smi.h and the kernel default-config in subtarget xrx200
it raises the general question:

How can i add an exotic device to an existing target/subtarget ?
it is a matter of Easybox 904xDSL aka Arcadyan VGV952CJW33-E-IR it is a target=lantiq nad subtarget=xrx200 device.
But it need modified driver for RTL8367b switch, there own kernel default-config and there own kernel patches.
My Ideas:
1.) creating a new target= lantiq_vgv952cjw33-e-ir but it is crap because i must change a lot of depens inside packages.
And it is ugly
2.) changes inside makefile include to the effect that it is possible to have an extra directory for your device.
for example: target/linux/lantiq/xrx200/vgv952cjw33-e-ir in this directory are the own default-config and the ./file and patch directory like the target directory ./lantiq
But it is very difficult for me and i fear that will never accepted.

I wondering that exist no solution for this problem, because i thinking that happens from time to time.
Or i am wrong ? exist a solution ?
Exist a example device where i can do look to it ?

I have update my patches, and split in the different parts: uboot packages target
I build the image in 4 steps (download-all-packages, build-image-sdk-imagebuilder, build-packages-via-sdk, build-different-images-via-imagebuilder)
Sorry buildscript nr 4 is a littlebit huge and incomprehensible, but i had no other option.

The buildscripts are here: openwrt_patches_eb904x.tar.xz
sha256:b84961a02afe83ac6fb822526e4b72f572e965c4d947ab4aadf4dc4093bf1a8f

The result of them are here: result_eb904x_2018.02.20.tar.gz
sha256: e0e108759ab31904bf4a5790a6870d1f0b89b3b8e17c8d4fa697aea7dd804e62

The result is a littlebit huge (1,3GB) because it contain a lot of double packages from download imagebuild sdkbuild and compilation of the repo
It contain an installation manual, the repo and all 4 buildvariants SMP-NAND SMP-USB VPE-NAND VPE-USB
There is one knowed bug on VPE variant: channel lantiq works only one reboot later after installation reboot.

Plonk34 wrote:

It contain an installation manual, the repo and all 4 buildvariants SMP-NAND SMP-USB VPE-NAND VPE-USB

First of all, thank you for your effort. I am looking forward to trying your builds, I will be away from my home line for the next month though, so it will be some time. Greetings from Japan, though!

SMP, I assume, is "SMP enabled", i.e. dual core, while VPE is the single-core variant with voice functions enabled? But what is "USB"? To be loaded from USB? I wasn't even aware that was an option.

Plonk34 wrote:

The result of them are here: "h ttps://yadi.sk/d/rovsZes63SiWHV]result_eb904x_2018.02.20.tar.gz"
sha256: e0e108759ab31904bf4a5790a6870d1f0b89b3b8e17c8d4fa697aea7dd804e62

I've installed VGV952CJW33-E-IR-kernel.SMPUSB.bin, and rootfs on USB-stick.
Most important -SMP- works.
Your repo - works.
VDSL- works.
LCD - is black.
Processor usage (htop):  2-5% on each core.

Then I've started your scripts (changing the names of the target directories) .
step2_build_from_source.sh  always crashes in this point:

/local/SAMSUNG500/PIONK/tmp/build/openwrt/staging_dir/host/bin/find: '/local/SAMSUNG500/PIONK/tmp/build/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-lantiq_xrx200/opkg-2017-12-07-3b417b9f/ipkg-mips_24kc/opkg/etc/opkg/keys/': No such file or directory
 make[2] package/install
 make[2] target/install
 make[3] -C target/linux install
kernel/module.c:1250:12: warning: 'try_to_force_load' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int try_to_force_load(struct module *mod, const char *reason)
            ^
drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0001.c:305:13: warning: 'fixup_use_write_buffers' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static void fixup_use_write_buffers(struct mtd_info *mtd)
             ^
drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_xrx200.c: In function 'xrx200sw_set_vlan_fid':
drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_xrx200.c:574:6: warning: unused variable 'i' [-Wunused-variable]
  int i;
      ^
drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_xrx200.c: At top level:
drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_xrx200.c:506:12: warning: 'xrx200_set_global_attr' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int xrx200_set_global_attr(struct switch_dev *dev, const struct switch_attr *attr, struct switch_val *val)
            ^
drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_xrx200.c:515:12: warning: 'xrx200_get_global_attr' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int xrx200_get_global_attr(struct switch_dev *dev, const struct switch_attr *attr, struct switch_val *val)
            ^
drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_xrx200.c:740:12: warning: 'xrx200sw_set_port_pvid' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int xrx200sw_set_port_pvid(struct switch_dev *dev, int port, int val)
            ^
drivers/net/phy/rtl8366_smi.c: In function 'rtl8366_smi_mii_init':
drivers/net/phy/rtl8366_smi.c:989:6: warning: unused variable 'i' [-Wunused-variable]
  int i;
      ^
drivers/net/phy/rtl8367b.c: In function 'rtl8367b_sw_set_port_disable':
drivers/net/phy/rtl8367b.c:1401:2: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code [-Wdeclaration-after-statement]
  struct rtl8366_smi *smi = sw_to_rtl8366_smi(dev);
  ^
mips-openwrt-linux-musl-cpp: error: /local/SAMSUNG500/PIONK/tmp/build/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-lantiq_xrx200/linux-4.9.82/arch/mips/boot/dts/VGV952CJW33-E-IR.dts: No such file or directory
mips-openwrt-linux-musl-cpp: warning: '-x assembler-with-cpp' after last input file has no effect
mips-openwrt-linux-musl-cpp: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [/local/SAMSUNG500/PIONK/tmp/build/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-lantiq_xrx200/image-VGV952CJW33-E-IR.dtb] Error 1
make[4]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[2]: *** [target/linux/install] Error 2
make[1]: *** [/local/SAMSUNG500/PIONK/tmp/build/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/stamp/.target_install] Error 2
make -r world: build failed. Please re-run make with -j1 V=s to see what's going on
/local/SAMSUNG500/PIONK/tmp/build/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:216: polecenia dla obiektu 'world' nie powiodły się
make: *** [world] Błąd 1

What am I doing wrong?

@metai

SMP, I assume, is "SMP enabled", i.e. dual core, while VPE is the single-core variant with voice functions enabled? But what is "USB"? To be loaded from USB? I wasn't even aware that was an option.

correct SMP means with "2 cores" but without VoIP. VPE = VoIP but only one core.
USB = starting the rootfs from an f2fs formated USB-Stick
see the bootargs in: https://github.com/Quallenauge/Easybox- … 3-E-IR.dts

As i understand, you can not install the NAND image from the recovery image via sysupgrade because some changes in the regular image.
For this reason it is nessary to use the USB image first.

If do much changes / experiments on the Router it is usefull to use the USB-Stick because NAND-flash have an limited write access in generall

@kipronar
I guess you have used the newest openwrt (from 26.02.2018) the building of openwrt from 20.02.2018 or better 19.02.2018 should work.
Reason: houers later after i make the patches, major changes for lantiq were applied (kernel 4.14). I wondering that the patches was right applied.
But thanks for your reply and Error messages it is helpfull.
to get the right version this should work:

git checkout $(cat /<the-right-path>/base-commit-without-patches.txt)

LCD = black This is correct only the drivers are applied. I have never tested or do something with the LCD, because i had have never time to try something.

Plonk34 wrote:

to get the right version this should work:

git checkout $(cat /<the-right-path>/base-commit-without-patches.txt)

I've tried, but with no real success.
My knowledge is rather poor.
So I will use your repo until the next script issue.
thanks

Hi,

@QAuge,

1) thanks for the amazing work!
2) I'm using your snapshots from box.com at the moment. You switched from lede to openwrt, how do I install these openwrt images? Seems that I cannot flash my older lede system, so is there a new fullimage.img for the initial tftp flashing or how does it work?

Many thanks!

Hi there!

A short status update from me.
First: Sorry, for delay.

With the kerne 4.14 release, I took the opportunity to restructure my patches.
The old branches lives in it's archived home here. The development branch is as always the "master-lede" branch.

I tried to merge the commits and don't add the history of them.
So it should easier to integrate - and it is easier for me for rebasing them.

Last time I tried the to recovery my 2nd box, and it doesn't worked, like @hoersprechgarnitur reported.
So I decided to make a new fullimage.bin and uploaded it. Have a look at the reworked README for details.

I also switched to squashfs, as recommended by lede upstream team. So make sure, to make a backup of your packages/data everytime you perform a sysupgrade.

@Plonk34: That's amazing. You created a cool build environment. But you use patches as base. Merging them to new releases is maybe more difficult than rebasing them?

I can not get this router on anex a.

444 (edited by metai 2018-03-21 17:40:49)

otop wrote:

I can not get this router on anex a.

Being an IAD provided by a German ISP, I would assume there is no Annex-A version of this router.

With ADSL this is a showstopper, since Annex A and Annex B devices usuall come with different line filters and even hardware settings regarding the modem's hybrid. For VDSL this does not matter.

I've seen that some old routers with installed openwrt can be modified by adding a usb sound card and speaker to a functional internet radio.Can the easybox 904 be converted into an internet radio? I have this router and I would ask someone who knows how to help me with the instructions.

446 (edited by metai 2018-03-24 03:50:27)

otop wrote:

Can the easybox 904 be converted into an internet radio?

The Easybox 904 can do everything a regular OpenWrt device can do, and I would assume that the usual how-tos would also work with the EB904.

However, there's a snag. For the EB904, we currently have to resort to custom builds, and those can't install the kernel modules from the official repositories (since they are compiled against a different kernel or kernel version, or at the least carry a different kernel id).

As one needs kernel modules for audio, USB, and possibly the buttons on front, you'd have to compile your custom image with them compiled into the kernel, or at least compiled alongside.

But the idea is an interesting one. Especially with the display and buttons on front.

That's why I'm asking for help because I do not know how to do it

AFAICS the biggest hurdle for getting Easybox 904 support merged in OpenWrt are the Realtek RTL8367b switch patches which are not yet merged. It seems that an alternative implementation for RTL83xx switches has been proposed for the upstream Linux kernel: "[PATCH 0/4] RFC: Realtek 83xx SMI driver core"

The following patches look directly upstreamable

• MTD-Utils: Add flash_erase,flash_eraseall,flashcp (maybe there are size concerns against merging)

• VGV952CJW33-E-IR: Add dts for VGV952CJW33-E-IR.

• VGV952CJW33-E-IR: lantiq/xrx200-net: add FID (filtering identifier) setting (probably needs a ping on the original patch in patchwork)

• VGV952CJW33-E-IR: Sysupgrade: Deactivate subpages on nand.

• VGV952CJW33-E-IR: Add MTD parition details for uboot-env-tools. (typo, should be "partition")

There's also the issue that upstream OpenWrt does not build asterisk-chan-lantiq for unknown reasons. Sebastian Kemper is currently trying to get a response from OpenWrt developers about fixing this.
If all non-kernel patches are merged in upstream OpenWrt, we will only have to build the kernel manually, getting the benefits from the whole OpenWrt package repository.

Side note: The planned branching date for OpenWrt 18.05 is April 7. Anything which gets merged before will be available in the next release.